2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
6 months on and still have build quality issues
By bobgoblin on 08/26/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

If you're not driving on a newly paved road the ride is appalling thanks to the old-timey torsion beam rear axel. Mine was even worse thanks to VW not installing the rear shocks properly. VW claimed that's just how the car road and refused to even look at it. I had to take it to my body shop guy who found the problem. The windsheild cracked at 500 miles when I hit a pothole & I had to get my lawyer involved to fix that since VW initially refused. Constant stalling problem which took VW a month to track down: stuck fuel pressure release valve. Is a 6-speed transmission that came with a 5-speed gearshift: it took a month to convince someone at VW why that was incorrect. etc.

Good clean driving fun
By beaverdam on 08/09/12 16:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This VW has exceeded all of my expectations. Highway Mpg is always above 50 unless the AC is on then it drops to 46. City MPG is about 35. Only time will tell but so far it is rock solid and very reliable. Ride control is tight but not too firm. The lack of independent suspension in the rear is not noticable for me. 4 wheel disc brakes have a firm feel. Electric power steering feels like "steer by wire" but is easy to adjust to.

Jetta Diesel is all for Fun
By tdi_all_fun on 06/28/12 11:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving Toyota Camry for 8 years i decided to move on and try something that is fun to drive and at the same time has great mpg. I decided to buy Jetta TDI, i start loving it the moment i test drove it and bought it right away. I bought this in June 2011 and wanted to wait for a while before writing this review so far i have put over 15000 miles and getting 37-38 in 50% city and 50% highway. I drove it on long drive couple of time and noted 46 mpg which is awesome for car with a soul. So far i am happier with my decision to move to diesel. I don't think i am ever moving back to gas ever again.

Worth every penny
By asj2012 on 06/22/12 13:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned my Jetta TDI for almost 2 months and have 3k miles on it - and I have only good things to say about it. Since fuel efficiency was my goal, I decided to buy the TDI in a 6-speed manual transmission. (Note: I also preferred the manual over the automatic because the automatic felt like I was driving a golf cart). At first I was nervous about getting the manual because I had owned the Nissan Altima Coupe manual and it was horrible to drive that I traded it in after 1.5 years for an xterra. The manual transmission in this car is a breeze to drive. The clutch isn't super tight and the gears are easy to master. The interior has lots of upgrades and accommodations. Fun, classy car!!

Awesome Buy
By jcmoore5 on 06/18/12 20:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Best Bang for your buck! I don't know why reviewers slam the VW Jetta TDI so bad. I have driven all the others that this site has ranked with it. I recomend driving them all for your self. Find what car fits you. Do the math for your self. I think that you would be surprised.

FIRST VW PROVES COMFORTABLE, QUIET, QUICK
By openwheeler on 06/15/12 13:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Picked it up 5/31 and this Candy White with Corn silk/Black accent interior has proven to be a handsome, comfortable second family car. Critics of the interior materials were too harsh. The leatherette is more attractive and comfortable than we expected. Just returned from a round trip to PGH. My 6 foot plus son did not find the rear seats tiring or cramped. Very smooth ride and honestly quieter than our Accord on the road. The engine is a bit "throaty" but the slight rumble doesn't sound weak or cheap. Solid feel. In 'S' mode you get all the kick you need for passing fun. Low end torque takes a bit of getting used too but that comes quickly. Confident handling. Touch screen radio is cool.

An excellent car, but do your homework
By calex905 on 06/04/12 21:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This was the most reasonably priced car in this kind of fuel mileage range that did not feel like a toy. True the interior is not flashy, and I am a bit heavy for the standard seat bolsters, and it is not an independent rear suspension, but this little car is a kick to drive. I have 12,000 miles on and I have no complaints. I just got my first 50MPG trip this last weekend. In mixed driving I get 38 on the low side and can always depend on 44 to 45 MPG highway driving with cruise control on 65 or 70 from Fresno to Los Angeles and back. The DSG transmission does take a while to get used to but its a great car. Lots of torque and a huge backseat.

Fun and Fuel Efficient
By tdilover3 on 05/26/12 17:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have 13,000 miles on my 2012 Jetta. This is my third Jetta and my second TDI. I love this car. It is amazing for the money. I drive 55 miles everyday in mixed driving in this car, and I have fun the entire time. It only costs me $90 a month in fuel to drive this amazing car. It has power for days, the torque is amazing. It handles great and has plenty of space. I have two kids in car seats, no space issues. I love this car and I plan to keep it forever.

This car delivers
By delfin1 on 05/21/12 20:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have just over 2,000 miles on a new base model Jetta TDI with a manual, so I can't comment on long term reliability. What I can comment on is the performance of the package, and it exceeds expectations. We're averaging around 43 mpg in combined city/highway driving. Since this is more than promised, it is hard not to be impressed. The seating is comfortable, and while the interior finish materials are not as high quality as some other vehicles, they are certainly good enough for a car that costs less than $23,000.

TDI Purchased for Gas Mileage
By jclaeys on 04/29/12 11:38 AM (PDT)

We sold our TDI Jetta with just 2K on it. We could longer deal with the poor execution of the diesel to Jetta experience. Having driven gas powered Mercedes, it was difficult to get used to the difference in the "lack of Luxury". First, it is a stretch to say this car is "clean". You will notice the stench of diesel not only at fillup but when you park it in your garage for the first couple weeks. And don't be surprised if you can smell it in your home also. The vibration at idle and rough start from stop will take getting used to, we did'nt. Buy this if all you are looking for is excellent gas mileage, it's there..avg. 33-46 mpg! Otherwise, choose wisely. It'll cost you in trade in.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta in NJ is:

$250 per month*