Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good... but...
By bigal11

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

52k miles. Nice look, cheap interior. Doesn't feel or sound as solid as my German built '13 TDI Golf. Ventilation controls feel frail. No mechanical problems yet but fear of the fuel pump issue lurks. Generally we like the car but wouldn't buy it again. MPG's the same as my traded '08 Civic 5sp, so no advantage using pricy diesel ar paying VW service rates. Particulate filter is a joke. Burning raw fuel without contributing to forward motion hurts efficiency. What's up with the $12/qt oil? VW owns the arbitrary spec and charges for access to it. Truthfully, I wish I could have my Red '01 Jetta again. Better materials, better MPG's, simpler, better ride and handling qualities.

I like the feel of the manual transmission. The car is plenty quick for what it is and handles well enough. Terrifiic in the snow! No need for AWD, especially with studs. Oil changes are easy with an evacuation pump. Filter is right at hand. No special tools for oil change or brakes.

My '01 had big bottom end torque. You could take off without touching the accelerator. This one is like a gas car. Why can't I hit a button and unlock the whole car instead of needing to hit the button several times? No standard HomeLink ? Caps over lug nuts are a pain, but a cheaper way to hide budget lug nuts. We need rear ventilation! and power for charging kids' devices.

Lemon Car
By g_simpson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

At 12,000 miles, the high pressure fuel pump blew up, destroying the whole fuel system. ($7500) That was bad enough for a one year old car, but then it did it again at 23,000 miles. Search the internet for articles about this problem, but VW has covered it up well. The dealer said they fix about 2 per week. The car suddenly lost power going 70 mph on I-5, then died. Just barely made it to the shoulder. Very scary. I hoped the new fuel pump they installed would be a better design, but obviously it was not, since the car blew up again 6 months later- same thing- high pressure fuel pump. We sold the car, and lost $10K. My friends Jetta did the same thing. Big rip off by VW.

Any positive thing about this car is negated by it's total lack of reliability, and catastrophic failure of the fuel system.

Stop making diesel cars until you can design one robust enough to not leave people stranded on the side of the road.

So far, so good.
By s4guy2000

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just acquired a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium. We have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with all of the options and have put about 9000 trouble free miles on it, so I bought the 2012 sedan as a certified used VW. It has around 50k miles on it and I drive 74 miles round trip everyday. So far the car has been really nice, the tires are terrible and I will be changing these out in a month or two, but I am still getting around 53.8 mpg when I just kind of cruise. I averaged 44.8 mpg on the first tank with faster driving. I like the DSG it feels a little clunky if you are used to traditional manuals, especially when it downshifts when you are slowing down, but it is pretty smooth while upshifting.

I really bought the car for its German driving experience, and mpg. The MPG has been very easy to get, and I expect to get over 725 miles per tank on a regular basis .

The interior of the Sedan compared to the Sportwagen is CHEAP. They used cheap plastics, the Fender subwoofer rattles the trunk lid, the springs in the trunk lid creak like old man knees, there is not power seat adjustment (the Sportwagen has it), the driving info display is cheap, there is only one side of steering wheel controls, and the armrest is not adjustable like in the Sportwagen. Small issues, but when I drive them back to back I can really tell a difference in how they built the sedan to a price point. Still is more enjoyable than anything else in the class and I can absolutely destroy the estimated EPA mpg without really trying.

After 45000 Miles and 2 years
By 1969dart

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've had this car just over two years and other than the cost of maintenance being high im very happy with this car, this car has been completely trouble free, i get 40 to 42 miles per Gal driving 68 to 72 and about 38 at 75 to 80, i pull my motor cycle trailor from Ohio to Az the past two years with a total trailor weight of about 2000 pounds and i get about 23 to 25 miles to the Gal at 70 miles per Hr, could be a little bigger in the back seat area but other than that i love this little car, i think it thinks its a Diesel truck

Diesel and 6 speed auto.

Bigger back seat area.

Way OVER engineered
By tbsx

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I donít understand the great reviews considering so many characteristic problemsÖ youíll see. Should the engine stall while in motion the key must cycle fully off to restart the auto. This LOCKS the steering while in motion. With clutch depressed the engine wont rev above 2500 rpms. I have to pop the clutch several times when on a hill or stall engine. The traction control system engaged breaks on left side of car (I never touched the breaks) sending the car sideways. Lights come on when I donít want; they go off when I donít. Doors lock, unlock automatic.

the way it drives. This is the only real positive for this car

Turn signal stays on after I let go of lever. Way too much of this vehicle is making decisions FOR me. Generally speaking a wonderful auto to drive, but the annoying (AND DANGEROUS) features negate the positives. Iíve contacted VW of America each time about the dangerous aspects and they tell me, ďitís a feature, there's nothing to fix".