Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

This car is a lemon. STAY AWAY!!
By MS125

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

VW should be ashamed of their refusal to acknowledge the intercooler problem on this car. After I passed 65k miles, moisture got inside during cold weather, and it cracked, resulting in a pretty useless engine. VW said its not covered by warranty, but clearly, given the number of people who've experienced the same issue, it's obviously a design flaw. Stay away!!!

Better than a Civic, Corolla or Elantra?
By GPR

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned several Hondas and Toyotas and I was in the market for a used sedan. My certified 2012 Jetta was cheaper than the Civics, Corollas, and Elantras in my area at the time. I'm very happy with my purchase. The car is sporty and fun to drive with a nice sprinkling of technology and heated seats. My only complaints are that my A/C stopped blowing cold air and my trunk light didn't work. Both were fixed under warranty. It would be nicer if the arm rest between the front seats was higher and longer. I believe that's the case with newer models.

A great all around car
By Howie Atkinson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car Love the 5 cylinder 2.5 sad to see it gone un the newer models. A great car for my petite Daughter!

great car so far
By Eric Koppelson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a certified pre-owned 2.5L SE Convenience w/18K miles on it and am very happy with it so far. For the price, I feel this car is a great balance of a sporty but safe family sedan, with a large trunk and roomy backseat, good handling and power (with the 2.5L engine), and decent fuel economy. Its well-styled and comfortable (i'm 6'1 and my wife is tall). A few very minor complaints (see below). Was concerned about the lack of independent suspension, but my wife and baby are totally fine even in rough city roads in winter.

Very good handling and decent power, especially in S mode. The car just feels good to drive/handle. Large trunk and roomy backseat in a small package - still easy to park on the street. Classic understated design/styling.

- The leatherette / plastic interior does look a little cheap, but it still looks better than most Japanese/American cars, and, if that is so important to you, buy something more expensive or a 2015 Jetta which has an upgraded interior. - Why does VW refuse to have auto on/off headlights? - Bluetooth does not show song title or have fast forward / rewind capabilities.

Nice car for not a lot of $....
By cavwguy

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Owned this vehicle for about 3-yrs. & 45K miles (bought it new). Overall impressed with quality, comfort, value and performance. I stayed away from the TDI because of diesel fuel pricing and the intercooler issues (well documented here). Very happy w/my decision. While this vehicle is not a "sports-car", it does have that "German car feel" to it. Even w/the mileage, it is still pretty tight feeling drives smoothly. I also get around 28mpg (combined driving), about 1/2 and 1/2. Free maintenance service was nice for the 1st 36K miles.

Pros: Seems to be wearing well. 2.5L 5-banger is smooth (like a V6), powerful and economical. No rattles or creaks. Moonroof doesn't leak. Fender stereo is phenominal (I am an audiophile, too). Vehicle has room for everyone and doesn't stagger when loaded. I would buy another one. Cons: It has had a wind-noise since new (VW has tried to cure but hasn't yet). While it's not overbearing, I can still hear it. I took about 4-flats in the tires (when new). It was odd because I never hang around construction-places either. It was like the tires (Conti's) were jinxed. However, I did find out others have had this issue too. I own Pirelli P7's now.

Fix minor wind noise issue. VW tells me they can't figure out where/why/how to fix???