Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Um, no. Just no.
By ZH

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I wanted to own a European car. Well that was a huge mistake and I only had the car for a little over a year. The car was too cramped and it was just a boring car all around. Too many electrical problems. I had to constantly change the headlights and rewire fuses. The car was crappy in the snow and rain. I was under the impression that the car was suppose to get decent gas mileage, but it was crap compared to my Supra. If people want a reliable car, do NOT get European cars. Stick to the Japanese cars for reliability, comfort, technology, and safety.

Numb steering and bad gas mileage
By Edmund Liu

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The steering is so numb that a U-haul Ford cargo van drives better than this little car. Comfortable ride compared to Japanese rivals. Only gave me one trouble that the lock housing cracked and was fixed by warranty. I mostly drive around town so I got 16.5 MPG no matter what kind of gas I used ( I noticed that Chevron gets a little better, not the tire pressure problem ) I never see a 200 miles out of a full tank ( 14.5 Gal ). I believe the max MPG I got on freeways is 29. It feels safe. Doors are very heavy. Solid build quality. AC vents want to fall apart all the time, and I don't know why. Engine is sluggish when started if the day is cold. Overall, if you want a safe car and don't care about anything else, this is the one for you.

A little German car feeling
By Manuel L.

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this 2012 as a CPO with 30k miles on it and have 57k now after one year of primarily interstate driving. So far I have only had oil changes every 10k miles and a broken drive belt replaced under warranty. The car required a set of new tires at 52k and brakes are still like new. The interior has a cheap feeling for a German car but that's OK for the price of a Korean car. Leatherette is very durable and comfortable. I chose the 2.5 engine with 6 speed auto transmission because this combination appears to be very reliable. I don't see why people buy the TDI with diesel being more expensive than gas in the United States. In Europe it is the other way around. I wish I had a Jetta with a hatch but actually the sedan is very roomy inside out. Can highly recommend this car so far and plan to drive it up to 100k or until problems appear. MPG is not as good as all the 4 cylinders around but it does feel more like a 6 cylinder.

Better than a Civic, Corolla or Elantra?
By GPR

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned several Hondas and Toyotas and I was in the market for a used sedan. My certified 2012 Jetta was cheaper than the Civics, Corollas, and Elantras in my area at the time. I'm very happy with my purchase. The car is sporty and fun to drive with a nice sprinkling of technology and heated seats. My only complaints are that my A/C stopped blowing cold air and my trunk light didn't work. Both were fixed under warranty. It would be nicer if the arm rest between the front seats was higher and longer. I believe that's the case with newer models.

A great all around car
By Howie Atkinson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car Love the 5 cylinder 2.5 sad to see it gone un the newer models. A great car for my petite Daughter!

• SUV