Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

great car so far
By Eric Koppelson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a certified pre-owned 2.5L SE Convenience w/18K miles on it and am very happy with it so far. For the price, I feel this car is a great balance of a sporty but safe family sedan, with a large trunk and roomy backseat, good handling and power (with the 2.5L engine), and decent fuel economy. Its well-styled and comfortable (i'm 6'1 and my wife is tall). A few very minor complaints (see below). Was concerned about the lack of independent suspension, but my wife and baby are totally fine even in rough city roads in winter.

Favorite Features

Very good handling and decent power, especially in S mode. The car just feels good to drive/handle. Large trunk and roomy backseat in a small package - still easy to park on the street. Classic understated design/styling.

Suggested Improvements

- The leatherette / plastic interior does look a little cheap, but it still looks better than most Japanese/American cars, and, if that is so important to you, buy something more expensive or a 2015 Jetta which has an upgraded interior. - Why does VW refuse to have auto on/off headlights? - Bluetooth does not show song title or have fast forward / rewind capabilities.

Nice car for not a lot of $....
By cavwguy

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Owned this vehicle for about 3-yrs. & 45K miles (bought it new). Overall impressed with quality, comfort, value and performance. I stayed away from the TDI because of diesel fuel pricing and the intercooler issues (well documented here). Very happy w/my decision. While this vehicle is not a "sports-car", it does have that "German car feel" to it. Even w/the mileage, it is still pretty tight feeling drives smoothly. I also get around 28mpg (combined driving), about 1/2 and 1/2. Free maintenance service was nice for the 1st 36K miles.

Favorite Features

Pros: Seems to be wearing well. 2.5L 5-banger is smooth (like a V6), powerful and economical. No rattles or creaks. Moonroof doesn't leak. Fender stereo is phenominal (I am an audiophile, too). Vehicle has room for everyone and doesn't stagger when loaded. I would buy another one. Cons: It has had a wind-noise since new (VW has tried to cure but hasn't yet). While it's not overbearing, I can still hear it. I took about 4-flats in the tires (when new). It was odd because I never hang around construction-places either. It was like the tires (Conti's) were jinxed. However, I did find out others have had this issue too. I own Pirelli P7's now.

Suggested Improvements

Fix minor wind noise issue. VW tells me they can't figure out where/why/how to fix???

Miss my VW......
By mardigras413

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

ok so I am a big VW fan, its been about 3 years since I had my last VW and this was worth the wait. I purchased my 2012 Jetta used about a week ago yea its the 2.0 but this one gets up and goes better than my 04 Jetta 2.0 (it had a 4 speed auto) I love all the great compliments I get about how great it looks and I love all the standard features......no big complaints here!

Favorite Features

I like how comfortable this car feels, I can't wait to take it on a road trip!

Suggested Improvements

need an arm rest between the two front seats!!!

Great choice
By juvy2

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My 2012 Jetta is by far the best car I have ever had! Great gas mileage, fun to drive and extremely comfortable seats

Favorite Features

Sunroof All power windows and locks Keyless entry

A Nice Used Car at a good price...
By freddok2

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I suddenly found myself in the position of needing a another car after my previously-reliable 2006 Subaru Impreza suddenly overheated on me. The Dealer where I had the Subaru taken for service (and from where I had bought it new in 2006) had put me in a white 2013 VW Passat as a loaner for a while, so when it came time to deal and to decide whether to take back my old car or buy a new or certified Pre-Owned car from the dealer, I was pleased when I took on a test drive a blue Certified pre-Owned 2012 Jetta with low mileage. The only thing I didn't like about it was the mostly-plastic dash, but that was a minor tradeoff in return. I bought it and have been happy with it ever since.

Favorite Features

Likes: the tight road feel, feel of the seats, nice cold A/C, nice sound system, overall tight construction of the car. Some have complained about the feel and sound of the 2.5 liter five-cylinder engine, but I like its pickup and even like its somewhat raucous sound. Then again, I also liked the sort of bumpy, noisy feel of the 2.5 liter flat-four boxer in my Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic dash. It looks somewhat cheap, and how much more does some vinyl padding to match the seats cost anyway-a few dollars? Also, the automatic lights in the Passat should also be available in the Jetta.