Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

This car is a LEMON. Stay away!!
By dirtmcgirt718

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it used with 7k miles on it. After I ran the odometer up to 65k miles, I ran into the same intercooler problem other people have. The intercooler traps moisture in cold weather, and after the temperature rises, it sucks water into the engine, and the lights on the dashboard go haywire. The electronics are also horrible. I've burned out countless lightbulbs, and apparently, after less than 3 years, and 65k total miles, my wiring harness has a short and needs replacement. VW refuses to believe there's anything wrong with the car, but clearly, I've read about similar problems before.

Gas mileage.

Fix electrical and intercooler problems. A car this new, and driven mostly on the highway with such serious issues is a lemon, and a disgrace. Back to Toyota...

Lasted only 75000 miles VWdesign FLAW
By unhappyvw1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought as certified pre-owned with 23K miles Loved the car great mileage ect Drove it to work 70 miles (reason we bought it) and at quitting time tried to start only to have engine turn over then lock up. Turns out after some research these motors have issue with inter cooler As motor is run in cold weather air that comes in freezes on inter cooler as the day warmed up ice thawed and when I tried to start water was sucked into engine (NOT GOOD) Dealer will do nothing out of warranty 600 price tag to just evaluate it. Issue with VW since 2009 USE EXTREME caution before purchase Cost 8-10K to replace this motor

Great mileage as long as weather is warm DO NOT Drive in Winter

Car should last more that 75,000 miles it is a babied 2012. Dealer should make good on deal.

Good... but...
By bigal11

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

52k miles. Nice look, cheap interior. Doesn't feel or sound as solid as my German built '13 TDI Golf. Ventilation controls feel frail. No mechanical problems yet but fear of the fuel pump issue lurks. Generally we like the car but wouldn't buy it again. MPG's the same as my traded '08 Civic 5sp, so no advantage using pricy diesel ar paying VW service rates. Particulate filter is a joke. Burning raw fuel without contributing to forward motion hurts efficiency. What's up with the $12/qt oil? VW owns the arbitrary spec and charges for access to it. Truthfully, I wish I could have my Red '01 Jetta again. Better materials, better MPG's, simpler, better ride and handling qualities.

I like the feel of the manual transmission. The car is plenty quick for what it is and handles well enough. Terrifiic in the snow! No need for AWD, especially with studs. Oil changes are easy with an evacuation pump. Filter is right at hand. No special tools for oil change or brakes.

My '01 had big bottom end torque. You could take off without touching the accelerator. This one is like a gas car. Why can't I hit a button and unlock the whole car instead of needing to hit the button several times? No standard HomeLink ? Caps over lug nuts are a pain, but a cheaper way to hide budget lug nuts. We need rear ventilation! and power for charging kids' devices.

Lemon Car
By g_simpson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

At 12,000 miles, the high pressure fuel pump blew up, destroying the whole fuel system. ($7500) That was bad enough for a one year old car, but then it did it again at 23,000 miles. Search the internet for articles about this problem, but VW has covered it up well. The dealer said they fix about 2 per week. The car suddenly lost power going 70 mph on I-5, then died. Just barely made it to the shoulder. Very scary. I hoped the new fuel pump they installed would be a better design, but obviously it was not, since the car blew up again 6 months later- same thing- high pressure fuel pump. We sold the car, and lost $10K. My friends Jetta did the same thing. Big rip off by VW.

Any positive thing about this car is negated by it's total lack of reliability, and catastrophic failure of the fuel system.

Stop making diesel cars until you can design one robust enough to not leave people stranded on the side of the road.

So far, so good.
By s4guy2000

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just acquired a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium. We have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with all of the options and have put about 9000 trouble free miles on it, so I bought the 2012 sedan as a certified used VW. It has around 50k miles on it and I drive 74 miles round trip everyday. So far the car has been really nice, the tires are terrible and I will be changing these out in a month or two, but I am still getting around 53.8 mpg when I just kind of cruise. I averaged 44.8 mpg on the first tank with faster driving. I like the DSG it feels a little clunky if you are used to traditional manuals, especially when it downshifts when you are slowing down, but it is pretty smooth while upshifting.

I really bought the car for its German driving experience, and mpg. The MPG has been very easy to get, and I expect to get over 725 miles per tank on a regular basis .

The interior of the Sedan compared to the Sportwagen is CHEAP. They used cheap plastics, the Fender subwoofer rattles the trunk lid, the springs in the trunk lid creak like old man knees, there is not power seat adjustment (the Sportwagen has it), the driving info display is cheap, there is only one side of steering wheel controls, and the armrest is not adjustable like in the Sportwagen. Small issues, but when I drive them back to back I can really tell a difference in how they built the sedan to a price point. Still is more enjoyable than anything else in the class and I can absolutely destroy the estimated EPA mpg without really trying.