Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Lemon Car
By g_simpson

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

At 12,000 miles, the high pressure fuel pump blew up, destroying the whole fuel system. ($7500) That was bad enough for a one year old car, but then it did it again at 23,000 miles. Search the internet for articles about this problem, but VW has covered it up well. The dealer said they fix about 2 per week. The car suddenly lost power going 70 mph on I-5, then died. Just barely made it to the shoulder. Very scary. I hoped the new fuel pump they installed would be a better design, but obviously it was not, since the car blew up again 6 months later- same thing- high pressure fuel pump. We sold the car, and lost $10K. My friends Jetta did the same thing. Big rip off by VW.

Favorite Features

Any positive thing about this car is negated by it's total lack of reliability, and catastrophic failure of the fuel system.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making diesel cars until you can design one robust enough to not leave people stranded on the side of the road.

Love My Jetta TDI D
By debrasue

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My husband and I bought this car for the gas mileage and the Jetta has delivered. I drive 100 miles a day (highway) for work plus running errands and only fill up once a week ($50 a tank). I get about 47 mpg or 550-560 miles per tank. The car is comfortable and responsive when driving. Being on the road so much I like the Blue tooth hands free system that syncs with my phone.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth/hands free phone sync Heated seats Roomy trunk Power outlet in back seat (Great for charging kids video games!)

Suggested Improvements

Fan is loud when turned up to highest setting, but cools/heats quickly so the setting is not required for long.

Lasted only 75000 miles VWdesign FLAW
By unhappyvw1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought as certified pre-owned with 23K miles Loved the car great mileage ect Drove it to work 70 miles (reason we bought it) and at quitting time tried to start only to have engine turn over then lock up. Turns out after some research these motors have issue with inter cooler As motor is run in cold weather air that comes in freezes on inter cooler as the day warmed up ice thawed and when I tried to start water was sucked into engine (NOT GOOD) Dealer will do nothing out of warranty 600 price tag to just evaluate it. Issue with VW since 2009 USE EXTREME caution before purchase Cost 8-10K to replace this motor

Favorite Features

Great mileage as long as weather is warm DO NOT Drive in Winter

Suggested Improvements

Car should last more that 75,000 miles it is a babied 2012. Dealer should make good on deal.

This car is a LEMON. Stay away!!
By dirtmcgirt718

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it used with 7k miles on it. After I ran the odometer up to 65k miles, I ran into the same intercooler problem other people have. The intercooler traps moisture in cold weather, and after the temperature rises, it sucks water into the engine, and the lights on the dashboard go haywire. The electronics are also horrible. I've burned out countless lightbulbs, and apparently, after less than 3 years, and 65k total miles, my wiring harness has a short and needs replacement. VW refuses to believe there's anything wrong with the car, but clearly, I've read about similar problems before.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical and intercooler problems. A car this new, and driven mostly on the highway with such serious issues is a lemon, and a disgrace. Back to Toyota...

Way OVER engineered
By tbsx

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I donít understand the great reviews considering so many characteristic problemsÖ youíll see. Should the engine stall while in motion the key must cycle fully off to restart the auto. This LOCKS the steering while in motion. With clutch depressed the engine wont rev above 2500 rpms. I have to pop the clutch several times when on a hill or stall engine. The traction control system engaged breaks on left side of car (I never touched the breaks) sending the car sideways. Lights come on when I donít want; they go off when I donít. Doors lock, unlock automatic.

Favorite Features

the way it drives. This is the only real positive for this car

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal stays on after I let go of lever. Way too much of this vehicle is making decisions FOR me. Generally speaking a wonderful auto to drive, but the annoying (AND DANGEROUS) features negate the positives. Iíve contacted VW of America each time about the dangerous aspects and they tell me, ďitís a feature, there's nothing to fix".