2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
This car is a LEMON. Stay away!!
By dirtmcgirt718 on 02/03/15 14:13 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it used with 7k miles on it. After I ran the odometer up to 65k miles, I ran into the same intercooler problem other people have. The intercooler traps moisture in cold weather, and after the temperature rises, it sucks water into the engine, and the lights on the dashboard go haywire. The electronics are also horrible. I've burned out countless lightbulbs, and apparently, after less than 3 years, and 65k total miles, my wiring harness has a short and needs replacement. VW refuses to believe there's anything wrong with the car, but clearly, I've read about similar problems before.

Lasted only 75000 miles VWdesign FLAW
By unhappyvw1 on 01/18/15 16:13 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought as certified pre-owned with 23K miles Loved the car great mileage ect Drove it to work 70 miles (reason we bought it) and at quitting time tried to start only to have engine turn over then lock up. Turns out after some research these motors have issue with inter cooler As motor is run in cold weather air that comes in freezes on inter cooler as the day warmed up ice thawed and when I tried to start water was sucked into engine (NOT GOOD) Dealer will do nothing out of warranty 600 price tag to just evaluate it. Issue with VW since 2009 USE EXTREME caution before purchase Cost 8-10K to replace this motor

Lemon Car
By g_simpson on 08/03/14 16:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

At 12,000 miles, the high pressure fuel pump blew up, destroying the whole fuel system. ($7500) That was bad enough for a one year old car, but then it did it again at 23,000 miles. Search the internet for articles about this problem, but VW has covered it up well. The dealer said they fix about 2 per week. The car suddenly lost power going 70 mph on I-5, then died. Just barely made it to the shoulder. Very scary. I hoped the new fuel pump they installed would be a better design, but obviously it was not, since the car blew up again 6 months later- same thing- high pressure fuel pump. We sold the car, and lost $10K. My friends Jetta did the same thing. Big rip off by VW.

So far, so good.
By s4guy2000 on 03/28/14 17:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just acquired a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium. We have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with all of the options and have put about 9000 trouble free miles on it, so I bought the 2012 sedan as a certified used VW. It has around 50k miles on it and I drive 74 miles round trip everyday. So far the car has been really nice, the tires are terrible and I will be changing these out in a month or two, but I am still getting around 53.8 mpg when I just kind of cruise. I averaged 44.8 mpg on the first tank with faster driving. I like the DSG it feels a little clunky if you are used to traditional manuals, especially when it downshifts when you are slowing down, but it is pretty smooth while upshifting.

After 45000 Miles and 2 years
By 1969dart on 12/04/13 10:57 AM (PST)

I've had this car just over two years and other than the cost of maintenance being high im very happy with this car, this car has been completely trouble free, i get 40 to 42 miles per Gal driving 68 to 72 and about 38 at 75 to 80, i pull my motor cycle trailor from Ohio to Az the past two years with a total trailor weight of about 2000 pounds and i get about 23 to 25 miles to the Gal at 70 miles per Hr, could be a little bigger in the back seat area but other than that i love this little car, i think it thinks its a Diesel truck

Way OVER engineered
By tbsx on 11/05/13 11:04 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I donít understand the great reviews considering so many characteristic problemsÖ youíll see. Should the engine stall while in motion the key must cycle fully off to restart the auto. This LOCKS the steering while in motion. With clutch depressed the engine wont rev above 2500 rpms. I have to pop the clutch several times when on a hill or stall engine. The traction control system engaged breaks on left side of car (I never touched the breaks) sending the car sideways. Lights come on when I donít want; they go off when I donít. Doors lock, unlock automatic.

My first VW and it's awesome!
By mnsparks13 on 10/19/13 19:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just bought my '12 Jetta TDI recently, so it's a bit too soon to comment on reliability although, I expect it to be reliable. I bought my car as a certified used car with only 26,000 miles on it. The first second I saw it, I fell in love with it. It is red and has a nice 2 tone interior. The seats are the leathertte seats. The dash design is very nice, not offensive or overly styled, just right. I have the navigation system and the Fender sound system, which I highly recommend. The Fender sound system is amazing! The car is pretty much loaded. I highly recommend this car. Don't believe the bad things some of the car magazines say about this car, this car is solid and awesome!

It's a good car, but I don't plan on keeping it.
By ne10 on 05/14/13 09:52 AM (PDT)

My feelings about the Jetta TDI/Premium are mixed. I love the styling, the fuel economy is unbeatable for an ICE, and the low end torque makes it zippy and fun. But VW had to go and kill a lot of the love by leaving the DSG unrefined, not polishing out creaks and rattles, and cheaping out in areas like the MFD and the touch screen software. The car feels like it was well designed in Germany, then dressed down by a bureaucrat on computer and exported to America. That being said, the styling, fuel economy, and options are still far better than the Civic and the Elantra. Is it worth the extra $3000 on the sticker? Maybe. I'd say it's more of a solid buy as a used or preowned car.

Love My Jetta TDI D
By debrasue on 12/27/12 19:06 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My husband and I bought this car for the gas mileage and the Jetta has delivered. I drive 100 miles a day (highway) for work plus running errands and only fill up once a week ($50 a tank). I get about 47 mpg or 550-560 miles per tank. The car is comfortable and responsive when driving. Being on the road so much I like the Blue tooth hands free system that syncs with my phone.

Happy VW Convert
By bustoff on 11/26/12 19:51 PM (PST)

Purchased my TDI Jetta 4 door with premium after test driving everything else out there. That includes BMW 328i. This car's ride is ALMOST as good as the BMW...for 15-20k less...not to mention the cost to insure, maintenance and fueling up with premium and getting significantly less mpg with the BMW. 5 months old and just broke 6,000 miles. Averaged 44.3 mpg from bay area to San Diego...less than one tank of diesel. NO DIESEL SMELL detected. Handles great; plenty of power-had trouble keeping it under 80 on I-5.