Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

This car is a lemon. STAY AWAY!!
By MS125

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

VW should be ashamed of their refusal to acknowledge the intercooler problem on this car. After I passed 65k miles, moisture got inside during cold weather, and it cracked, resulting in a pretty useless engine. VW said its not covered by warranty, but clearly, given the number of people who've experienced the same issue, it's obviously a design flaw. Stay away!!!

This car is a LEMON. Stay away!!
By dirtmcgirt718

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it used with 7k miles on it. After I ran the odometer up to 65k miles, I ran into the same intercooler problem other people have. The intercooler traps moisture in cold weather, and after the temperature rises, it sucks water into the engine, and the lights on the dashboard go haywire. The electronics are also horrible. I've burned out countless lightbulbs, and apparently, after less than 3 years, and 65k total miles, my wiring harness has a short and needs replacement.

VW refuses to believe there's anything wrong with the car, but clearly, I've read about similar problems before.

Gas mileage.

Fix electrical and intercooler problems. A car this new, and driven mostly on the highway with such serious issues is a lemon, and a disgrace. Back to Toyota...

Lasted only 75000 miles VWdesign FLAW
By unhappyvw1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought as certified pre-owned with 23K miles Loved the car great mileage ect Drove it to work 70 miles (reason we bought it) and at quitting time tried to start only to have engine turn over then lock up. Turns out after some research these motors have issue with inter cooler As motor is run in cold weather air that comes in freezes on inter cooler as the day warmed up ice thawed and when I tried to start water was sucked into engine (NOT GOOD) Dealer will do nothing out of warranty 600 price tag to just evaluate it. Issue with VW since 2009 USE EXTREME caution before purchase Cost 8-10K to replace this motor

Great mileage as long as weather is warm DO NOT Drive in Winter

Car should last more that 75,000 miles it is a babied 2012. Dealer should make good on deal.

Way OVER engineered
By tbsx

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I don’t understand the great reviews considering so many characteristic problems… you’ll see.

Should the engine stall while in motion the key must cycle fully off to restart the auto. This LOCKS the steering while in motion.
With clutch depressed the engine wont rev above 2500 rpms. I have to pop the clutch several times when on a hill or stall engine. The traction control system engaged breaks on left side of car (I never touched the breaks) sending the car sideways. Lights come on when I don’t want; they go off when I don’t. Doors lock, unlock automatic.

the way it drives. This is the only real positive for this car

Turn signal stays on after I let go of lever. Way too much of this vehicle is making decisions FOR me. Generally speaking a wonderful auto to drive, but the annoying (AND DANGEROUS) features negate the positives. I’ve contacted VW of America each time about the dangerous aspects and they tell me, “it’s a feature, there's nothing to fix".

Fun and Fuel Efficient
By tdilover3

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have 13,000 miles on my 2012 Jetta. This is my third Jetta and my second TDI. I love this car. It is amazing for the money. I drive 55 miles everyday in mixed driving in this car, and I have fun the entire time. It only costs me $90 a month in fuel to drive this amazing car.

It has power for days, the torque is amazing. It handles great and has plenty of space. I have two kids in car seats, no space issues.

I love this car and I plan to keep it forever.

Power, torque, handling, Miles per gallon

All wheel drive