2012 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So far, so good.
By s4guy2000 on 03/28/14 17:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just acquired a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium. We have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with all of the options and have put about 9000 trouble free miles on it, so I bought the 2012 sedan as a certified used VW. It has around 50k miles on it and I drive 74 miles round trip everyday. So far the car has been really nice, the tires are terrible and I will be changing these out in a month or two, but I am still getting around 53.8 mpg when I just kind of cruise. I averaged 44.8 mpg on the first tank with faster driving. I like the DSG it feels a little clunky if you are used to traditional manuals, especially when it downshifts when you are slowing down, but it is pretty smooth while upshifting.

After 45000 Miles and 2 years
By 1969dart on 12/04/13 10:57 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've had this car just over two years and other than the cost of maintenance being high im very happy with this car, this car has been completely trouble free, i get 40 to 42 miles per Gal driving 68 to 72 and about 38 at 75 to 80, i pull my motor cycle trailor from Ohio to Az the past two years with a total trailor weight of about 2000 pounds and i get about 23 to 25 miles to the Gal at 70 miles per Hr, could be a little bigger in the back seat area but other than that i love this little car, i think it thinks its a Diesel truck

Way OVER engineered
By tbsx on 11/05/13 11:04 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I don’t understand the great reviews considering so many characteristic problems… you’ll see. Should the engine stall while in motion the key must cycle fully off to restart the auto. This LOCKS the steering while in motion. With clutch depressed the engine wont rev above 2500 rpms. I have to pop the clutch several times when on a hill or stall engine. The traction control system engaged breaks on left side of car (I never touched the breaks) sending the car sideways. Lights come on when I don’t want; they go off when I don’t. Doors lock, unlock automatic.

My first VW and it's awesome!
By mnsparks13 on 10/19/13 19:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just bought my '12 Jetta TDI recently, so it's a bit too soon to comment on reliability although, I expect it to be reliable. I bought my car as a certified used car with only 26,000 miles on it. The first second I saw it, I fell in love with it. It is red and has a nice 2 tone interior. The seats are the leathertte seats. The dash design is very nice, not offensive or overly styled, just right. I have the navigation system and the Fender sound system, which I highly recommend. The Fender sound system is amazing! The car is pretty much loaded. I highly recommend this car. Don't believe the bad things some of the car magazines say about this car, this car is solid and awesome!

Great choice
By juvy2 on 08/20/13 17:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My 2012 Jetta is by far the best car I have ever had! Great gas mileage, fun to drive and extremely comfortable seats

A Nice Used Car at a good price...
By freddok2 on 06/29/13 16:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I suddenly found myself in the position of needing a another car after my previously-reliable 2006 Subaru Impreza suddenly overheated on me. The Dealer where I had the Subaru taken for service (and from where I had bought it new in 2006) had put me in a white 2013 VW Passat as a loaner for a while, so when it came time to deal and to decide whether to take back my old car or buy a new or certified Pre-Owned car from the dealer, I was pleased when I took on a test drive a blue Certified pre-Owned 2012 Jetta with low mileage. The only thing I didn't like about it was the mostly-plastic dash, but that was a minor tradeoff in return. I bought it and have been happy with it ever since.

Wish I never bought this car...
By domdpt on 06/16/13 13:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was new to VW and relatively impressed by the Jetta, although I really wanted the GLI I was not ready to pay $30,000 for a small sedan. The car was ok to start, however within 2 months all door panels were rattling, suspension squeaked, and engine became sluggish. Almost 1 year later and after a few trips to the dealer, all door panels still rattle, the engine is not responsive, and MPGs are getting worse. VW quality has slipped a lot from what i can gether, and the dealer is less than willing to help fix the problems. Unless you get a GLI, do not waste your money.

5 speed SE with Convenience is the one to get.
By dlevine2 on 05/26/13 16:34 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was hesitant to buy a VW after having owned a 1993 VW Corrado SLC - most beautiful unreliable car I have ever owned. I did not want an automatic since I had been driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata for quite a while (most boring, most reliable car I have ever owned). For me, the 5 speed SE with convenience is a great car - not too far over $20,000 and it has decent performance. The trunk is larger than my wife's Infiniti M35. My kid cannot destroy the interior because it is made out of, well, plastic and Vinyl. My hope is that it turns out to be reliable, because I do like it a lot. It's as much of a German car as $20,000 or so will let it be.

It's a good car, but I don't plan on keeping it.
By ne10 on 05/14/13 09:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My feelings about the Jetta TDI/Premium are mixed. I love the styling, the fuel economy is unbeatable for an ICE, and the low end torque makes it zippy and fun. But VW had to go and kill a lot of the love by leaving the DSG unrefined, not polishing out creaks and rattles, and cheaping out in areas like the MFD and the touch screen software. The car feels like it was well designed in Germany, then dressed down by a bureaucrat on computer and exported to America. That being said, the styling, fuel economy, and options are still far better than the Civic and the Elantra. Is it worth the extra $3000 on the sticker? Maybe. I'd say it's more of a solid buy as a used or preowned car.

If it was put together in Germany...
By petarvn1 on 02/11/13 21:31 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've got a 2012 jetta with just over 6K miles on it. For the 16 months i have owned it, i have come to conclude that it's fast enogh to get you in to trouble, but controlable enogh to get you out of it. Being a new driver, getting a good, safe, reliable car was my parrents priority, so the got me a jetta, natrually. Only problem with it is that it's build quality isn't tip-top. My friend has a VW golf (assembled in Wolfsberg, not mexico) and it's much better put together. All together, it's a good package. I'd recomend the 5 speed manual with the 2.5 liter engine. For the $21,000 you pay you get a lot for your money, plus it's a very sexy machine!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$150 per month*