The Good and bad
By ihatebadrivers on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I bought this car used from a local dealership. I have found the gas mileage to be great but the transmission has a mind of its own at lower speed and sometimes while slowing down to a stop it clunks into a lower gear. Its disturbing and annoying (almost scares me) when it does this. Sometimes when I put it in gear (mostly in reverse it hesitates and then goes in gear suddenly. I have to make sure I always have me foot firmly pressed so it doesn't lurch forward or backwards suddenly. I don't know if this is normal for all Jettas this year or not but it makes me think that I could have transmission problems down the road?! It does have plenty of pickup when I put it in "sport mode"
Favorite Features
Great price and still German overall quality. Plenty of room for the family.
Suggested Improvements
Ugly dash and air vent styling! Seats have odd levers for adjustment. Boring interior dash and lighting. Hideous radio (it looks like aftermarket) Improve the transmission! It rides bumpy and squirley on the freeway. (improve the ride, suspension for better handling. Fan air is loud when turning up the heat. Sounds like an engine on a plane?!
By kellymiller
on 04/16/14 11:01 AM (PDT)

Just to clarify - I have a 2004 Jetta and the transmission behaves the same way; I've heard the same from other VW owners. Not sure why they haven't fixed this problem almost 10 years later. Makes me question if I want to purchase another VW...oh well.