2011 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Nice car, but clutch failure a

2011 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual)

Nice car, but clutch failure at 22,280 miles?!?
By jeremycarguy on

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the 2011 VW Jetta TDI with the manual 6-speed transmission in January 2011. The car had significant problems at first with stalling. After a couple of tries, the dealership replaced the air mass meter which improved it significantly. At 22,280 miles, the clutch disk disintegrated. VW claims that his was normal wear and tear. However, on a previous car (87 Volvo 740T) I got 210,000 miles on the clutch. I know how to drive a clutch. I am a former licensed master auto mechanic, this is clearly a materials failure, and VW will not stand behind their product. They have lost a good customer and somebody who had been a good advocate for VW in the past.

Excellent fuel mileage, great torque in the mid-range. Rated at 30mpg city, 42mpg hwy, I never got below 35mpg, and reached 50mpg on long road trips.

VW cut a lot of corners in order to keep the cost of the Jetta down when they introduced the new 2011 model. Most of this I knew about and was OK with (really cheap plastics in the interior, not very good noise insulation, etc.). However, it appears that at least with the manual transmission they have cut corners in the materials used, and the clutch in this application is rated for only 250 ft-lbs of torque, while the engine is rated at 240 ft-lbs. No margin for error. I'm planning on replacing the clutch with an SB model (solid flywheel) rated for 400 ft-lbs, but I'll probably sell the car as I don't now where else VW might have cut corners.