Return of the People's car
By justin_w on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I have read a few reviews that knock VW for "Down Grading" the Jetta to make it more affordable, but I think VW is getting back to its roots. There is nothing down graded about the new Jetta. If anything the previous models were too up scaled for their demographic. I have owned a 1997 Jetta GLX which I had once read as being referred to as a poor manís BMW 3 Series. But the 2011 does not disappoint. When compared to other cars in its price point, the new Jetta takes all. I test drove a Kia that cost the same as my Jetta, and it truly felt like it was going to fall apart over every bump. With the Jetta that is not an issue. It really is great, for the price of good. This is VWs finest hour.
Favorite Features
Stereo system sounds great and has plenty of features for being a base model. Trunk room and rear leg room are impeccable. There is as much, if not more room than the 05 Ford Taurus I traded in. Super responsive and agile handling. Very low road noise even at freeway speeds. Plenty of power in the higher rev range for such a small engine. I can pass on the freeway without having to grab a gear. Love the fact that the first 3 years of maintenance are free. For a base model it has power EVERYTHING, and keyless entry, even heated outside mirrors. Height adjustable seats are standard. Great gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Could use a little more low end power. Can't really feel the acceleration until after 2000rpm. I miss having cruise control. Seems like with all the other standard equipment, this could have been thrown in too. I would have gladly substituted heated mirrors for cruise control since I live in the desert. There is absolutely no "feel" in the clutch pedal. Every time I press it in I feel like I am going to put my left foot through the firewall. This isn't so bad when I feel like a little spirited light to light sprinting, but under most conditions I'd prefer a little more resistance in the third pedal.