Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

DONT BUY IT!!!!
By saabturbocoupe

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first look, you may think that the jetta s is a great buy. For what your getting, and the price your paying, you'll probably think its a no brainer (if you like the new style). That was my mistake. I was looking for a car that was good on gas, didnt requier premium fuel, and was an overall good car. After driving this, I thought it was great. After 2 weeks, I now realize I made a terrible choice. Even with the manual transmition, this car is extremly slow, and shifts very clunky. When you use the wipers, something clicks when the wipers go up, and again when they go down. The seats arnt as comfortable as they first seem either. All I can say is, I miss my honda, will trade this in soon.

I love the way the dash looks at night, with the blue radio and red controls. I think the front is extremely attractive as well. Overall I like the way the car looks inside and out, but Hate the way it drives.

Make the seats more comfortable. The shifting should be a lot smoother, I thought I needed to just get use to it but I was wrong. The hill hugger does nothing but make you stall, or delay your start, which is actually the thing I hate most about the car. The car is soooooo slow, I could go faster in almost ANYTHING else. Also, its so annoying when it rains, with that electronic click from the wipers. I will definitely go back to honda, when I trade this in within the next couple months.

Best bang for the buck, but misses on MPG
By sallywagg

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car for one simple reason: CHEAP! You can't beat the price for the size and standard features that this car has! The only issue is that VW really missed the mark for fuel economy and the crappy tires really hurt it's performance potential. However, this is the PERFECT car for a beginning driver or daily commuter!! It is truly the easiest car that I ever driven! Even though the engine is very underpowered for it's size, the lack of power keeps you out of trouble from stand-stills and the stability/traction controls keep you in check once under motion As much as I love this car, I gave it low numbers because, to keep it cheap, VW sacrificed the quality of this car.

one-touch windows, interior lighting,

New tires, please! The standard tires have too much roll and feel like they are underinflated, even at 40 psi.

I'm in love with my 1st VW and with VW service.
By perezo72

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Sport Package (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After a year of researching and testing cars, but avoiding germans, since I always consider them to be out of my budget, I finally decided to give the VW Jetta a try. And oh my gosh! I was so impressed that I bought the car without even do any research on it (I really took a dive on this one) But the reality is, this car feels amazing, I mean, if you drive a Mazda 6, Camry, Honda, Hyudai, Kia, Ford focus, etc... and then drive a Jetta, all you can wonder is, how come this car compete in this class? I love the car! If the reliability is just as good, then this car should be in everybody's garage. Only time will tell. For the time been I have become a VW fan!

Value (hands down, the best), Driving mechanics (this car feels sturdy, safe and sporty, way above any Asian or American car in this class), sound system sounds great (SEL model), Roomy and quiet cabin, 3 years of complimentary maintenance, VW service was second to none.

A little more power would make this car perfect (I acknowledge that it lag behind some competitors, but the overall package still outweights this weakness), Homelink system and maybe a spoiler for that extra sporty look.

I should have bought a toyota
By bwilson50176

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2011 Jetta S 1 month ago. I have taken it in 4 times for a problem with 5th gear. Each time they dealership says that cannot recreate the problem (sometime there is resistance shifting into 5th and sometimes it will not shift into 5th all) Had to call VW corp just to get them to take it for more than a few minutes drive. Got a loaner right now. Waiting to hear back, I am sure they will say that can't find the problem. I love this car, but I should have bought a toyota,. VW is not the brand it once was and the people could care less about fixing a problem with a BRAND NEW car, the first time i took it in was less than a week after i got it. I would avoid VW like the plague

Love the design and it feels like a car not a couch on wheels.

Create a corporate and dealership culture that addresses the problems with a brand new car in a timely and helpful manner. First ever brand new car I've bought and I will NEVER buy another VW and I would honestly suggest that anyone reading this think very seriously about whether a highly frustrating experience is worth the lower price.

EXCELLENT car, but not without a few caveats.
By kmck

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car after much deliberation and test driving numerous other models. This car is, by far, the best car for the money, and overall I love it. I have only a couple issues. 1) the car is pretty underpowered when the A/C is running. I like zippy, and would expect a little more zip, but it's still pretty good overall. 2) THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM. Dear Jesus. It's not terrible, per say, but it needs some bug fixing STAT. Sometimes trying to find a specific address is a pain. Oh, and the iPod connector supplied in the glove box is a little iffy at times. It lags when switching songs, every so often it will glitch and not play, but overall these are very small issues.

The value! Where else can you get a beautiful, German-made sedan with leatherette interior, satellite radio, navigation, sunroof, etc, etc. for under $25k out the door, brand new? I always get compliments on the car by strangers and a lot of people assume it's more expensive than it really is (unless, of course, you're a VW aficionado). I definitely recommend this car to anyone on the market wanting the most bang for their buck. Also, VW has been awesome from the start. For instance, when I had a minor recall for the horn, they sent me a $50 visa card as their way to say sorry for the inconvenience and show their commitment to me. I'm in love with them, to be honest.

I wouldn't mind the navigation to be altered a bit. It would be ideal if they could pair up with GoogleMaps and get the interface/back end working similarly to it, but that might be asking for a bit much. A little more horsepower wouldn't hurt, either. The A/C makes it drag so badly. And finally, I don't understand all the reviews saying the car was dumbed down to be less costly for the consumer. I think the car looks amazing, the materials used are MUCH better than the competitors, and it is overall a well-made vehicle. I give it an A-.