Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

DONT BUY IT!!!!
By saabturbocoupe

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first look, you may think that the jetta s is a great buy. For what your getting, and the price your paying, you'll probably think its a no brainer (if you like the new style). That was my mistake. I was looking for a car that was good on gas, didnt requier premium fuel, and was an overall good car. After driving this, I thought it was great. After 2 weeks, I now realize I made a terrible choice. Even with the manual transmition, this car is extremly slow, and shifts very clunky. When you use the wipers, something clicks when the wipers go up, and again when they go down. The seats arnt as comfortable as they first seem either. All I can say is, I miss my honda, will trade this in soon.

I love the way the dash looks at night, with the blue radio and red controls. I think the front is extremely attractive as well. Overall I like the way the car looks inside and out, but Hate the way it drives.

Make the seats more comfortable. The shifting should be a lot smoother, I thought I needed to just get use to it but I was wrong. The hill hugger does nothing but make you stall, or delay your start, which is actually the thing I hate most about the car. The car is soooooo slow, I could go faster in almost ANYTHING else. Also, its so annoying when it rains, with that electronic click from the wipers. I will definitely go back to honda, when I trade this in within the next couple months.

Return of the People's car
By justin_w

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have read a few reviews that knock VW for "Down Grading" the Jetta to make it more affordable, but I think VW is getting back to its roots. There is nothing down graded about the new Jetta. If anything the previous models were too up scaled for their demographic. I have owned a 1997 Jetta GLX which I had once read as being referred to as a poor manís BMW 3 Series. But the 2011 does not disappoint. When compared to other cars in its price point, the new Jetta takes all. I test drove a Kia that cost the same as my Jetta, and it truly felt like it was going to fall apart over every bump. With the Jetta that is not an issue. It really is great, for the price of good. This is VWs finest hour.

Stereo system sounds great and has plenty of features for being a base model. Trunk room and rear leg room are impeccable. There is as much, if not more room than the 05 Ford Taurus I traded in. Super responsive and agile handling. Very low road noise even at freeway speeds. Plenty of power in the higher rev range for such a small engine. I can pass on the freeway without having to grab a gear. Love the fact that the first 3 years of maintenance are free. For a base model it has power EVERYTHING, and keyless entry, even heated outside mirrors. Height adjustable seats are standard. Great gas mileage.

Could use a little more low end power. Can't really feel the acceleration until after 2000rpm. I miss having cruise control. Seems like with all the other standard equipment, this could have been thrown in too. I would have gladly substituted heated mirrors for cruise control since I live in the desert. There is absolutely no "feel" in the clutch pedal. Every time I press it in I feel like I am going to put my left foot through the firewall. This isn't so bad when I feel like a little spirited light to light sprinting, but under most conditions I'd prefer a little more resistance in the third pedal.

New Jetta
By KLRider

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We were a little worried the 4 cyl would be underpowered however with the 5sp M transmission the powertrain performs quite nicely. While the redesign does affect driveability slightly the car still has the VW feel and it much better than its competition. In other words it is not a typical sluggish small car boat.

One of the best features is there is room for a 6'5" driver to stretch out, in fact when driving I still need to scoot the seat forward a notch, I have not found another car in this class and in fact even the higher cost cars that will accomodate a person of my size.

Offer the 5cyl enginer with a cloth interior. I find leather or in this case leatherette uncomfortable