2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
BUYER BEWARE unreliable, unsafe, unpredictable
By mespo01 on 09/19/14 08:32 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I leased a 2011 Jetta SE with the intention of buying it once the lease was up. One month before I was planning to buy the car, it started stalling out. The 1st time this happened I was driving downhill at approx 30 mph. The brakes and steering wheel locked up - lost control. Very scary. I took the car to the dealer - charged me $500 to have it "fixed". Second time, I was on the highway - lucky to be stuck in traffic. Had it happened 15 min earlier while driving 60mph in middle lane, could have been dangerous. Car had 40k miles on it. VW will not take responsibility for this problem. My car is sitting at the VW pre-owned lot ready to be sold. I feel sorry for the person who will buy it.

Issues
By bucc on 08/14/14 13:53 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought the car brand new in 2011 and the AC went out in 2012. Great service at the dealer. In 2014 I started to notice the transmission slipping but no error codes. Then the car shut off once at a stop light and the second time turning into a friends driveway. I started researching the issue and found many, many 2011 and 2012 cars have this problem and dealers seem unable to solve them because no error code goes to the computer

Love the Car, Hate the Issues
By ashort on 06/29/14 16:20 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We purchased our Jetta off the lot, but I think we choose the wrong one. We had issues right out of the gate. Noticed that left side speakers did not work. Took it back and discovered that when the dash was installed at the factory they smashed the wiring harness. Second issue: clicking sound from driver's door trim. That took over 4 months to get it diagnosed and corrected and to get window controller fixed because tech damaged it while fixing the trim. Third issue: Had to have the manual transmission replaced at around 48k. Interior seals failed. I think this Jetta was made right before siesta time (made is Mexico). Tires side walls blew out around 35k

I will never buy VW again
By brookem0517 on 06/23/14 14:31 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My Jetta's engine completely shuts off while driving. It has happened 4 times in the last year. I take it to the Volkswagen dealership and they tell me there is nothing they can do about it. It really upsets me I have not even had my car for 3 years and it is not reliable. I am scared to drive because I don't know when my car is going to randomly shut off. This is a huge safety issue. This issue could cause me to be in an accident. I was always a huge Volkswagen supporter and thought I would always drive a Volkswagen, but now I am questioning that. I am so disappointed about the quality and reliability of my car and the fact that no one seems to care.

Great car
By shop75 on 06/18/14 13:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had Hyundai, Acuras, Volvos and Lexus before this and I am very happy with this car. I will be buying VW from now on. It is a fun car to drive and big. We have 2 little children and no problem on back seat. The trunk is huge took all our stuff to beach trip with no problem. The pickup is great on the 2.5 5 Cylinder engine. I wish I had the sunroof and automatic headlights but that is all that is missing from this car. I have traded 3 cars in the last 3 years but this one is a keeper! Great gas mileage too

Updated Review from previous one!
By alexx52093 on 04/30/14 08:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wrote a previous review on this car as well and would like to update it! My '11 Jetta SE w/ Conv/Sun now has 50k mi on it! It has gotten me through this brutal winter that hit the east coast w/out a single problem! Always starts, never fails, ever! I use it to commute 120 mi round trip to school every week, and I deliver pizzas with it on the weekends! I take good care of it, but it does get some hard use! Build quality isn't fantastic, and I've had a few issues with some cheap panels breaking and I had a minor electrical issue w/ taillight. All fixed under warranty and not much of a hassle at all. All cars have quirks and issues of their own. But you can't beat this car for the price!

It's a good daily use car
By kevin0206 on 04/02/14 00:50 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought an used 2011 2.5 version. It's good for daily use, and it gives you power when you put in sport mode or manual. I like it.

The Good and bad
By ihatebadrivers on 01/26/14 19:27 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car used from a local dealership. I have found the gas mileage to be great but the transmission has a mind of its own at lower speed and sometimes while slowing down to a stop it clunks into a lower gear. Its disturbing and annoying (almost scares me) when it does this. Sometimes when I put it in gear (mostly in reverse it hesitates and then goes in gear suddenly. I have to make sure I always have me foot firmly pressed so it doesn't lurch forward or backwards suddenly. I don't know if this is normal for all Jettas this year or not but it makes me think that I could have transmission problems down the road?! It does have plenty of pickup when I put it in "sport mode"

Not a good choice
By bcr410 on 10/26/13 05:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has had nothing but problems, major problems. To begin, there is a air leak seal issue in both the front and back windows causing a wistle sound that is very annoying. Electrical issues with the horn / heated mirrors not working, and most recent, a rack and pinion that failed. I will never buy another VW And would not reccomend anyone else buy one ither.

Puts a smile on your face
By cdub504 on 07/08/13 19:03 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

There aren't many cars that one can own that gives you a communal feeling like you get from owning a vw. This is my second vw purchase, despite a 6 year Mazda relationship that ended, it was time. After test driving a new focus I found this white gold metallic beauty with 17in vw rims and well that test drive put a smile back on my face. At 22k it drives perfectly with enough pick up for my daily commutes and looks really great. I didn't read too much into the cheap interior reviews, I love it, love the stereo system and satellite radio. The onl thing I can caution a new buyer on is the love bite that seems to happen when you first open the center counsel...consider yourself warned!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in VA is:

$147 per month*