2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Read reviews before you purchase
By qbk2205 on 08/30/14 15:23 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought the car new and it currently has 90000 miles on it. Last year the fuel pump exploded. Dealership replaced it, saying it was under warranty at 70000 miles. The warranty is 3 years, 36000 miles, whichever comes first. Makes me think VW knew there was a potential problem with the fuel system. Last week we replaced the turbo at a cost of $2600. This one is most irritating, because while under warranty I told the service department how the car hesitated at initial acceleration and they responded with it was due to the double clutching action of the transmission. Liars. We did not expect VW to be of such poor quality

Nice car, but clutch failure at 22,280 miles?!?
By jeremycarguy on 07/02/14 13:39 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the 2011 VW Jetta TDI with the manual 6-speed transmission in January 2011. The car had significant problems at first with stalling. After a couple of tries, the dealership replaced the air mass meter which improved it significantly. At 22,280 miles, the clutch disk disintegrated. VW claims that his was normal wear and tear. However, on a previous car (87 Volvo 740T) I got 210,000 miles on the clutch. I know how to drive a clutch. I am a former licensed master auto mechanic, this is clearly a materials failure, and VW will not stand behind their product. They have lost a good customer and somebody who had been a good advocate for VW in the past.

2011 jetta tdi nightmare
By davey_dcgr on 05/30/12 11:06 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

here is a list of issues. passenger door does not close right scratches car they told me it was fine but it is obviously not i bought door sills to protect it from more scratches for 200 dollars just for the door to destroy it! its all on that one door so its the car bad wind noise bluetooth has been replaced 3 times and if you are listening to music then get a call the phone disconnects. antenna fixed 1 time. deliverd with paint issues witch had to go to the body shop for and had wrong media system. cheap interior gps has had to be checked twice. engine part was recalled exaust tips were recalled sun roof sometimes wont close have to fiddle with it with warenty 40grand not worth it

Long term value
By javoice on 11/29/11 07:15 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Let's see what I should say about this car: with $10,000 HPFP failures, sunroofs which doesn't close, doors which doesn't shut right, intercooler's which ice up in cold weather, rear cupholders which get stuck even after dealer fix it and more Fact: no car is perfect but also the fact is how many cars are out there which can devlep a mechanical failure which cost more than 1/3 of the price of the car to fix it? Another sad fact is the company which doesn't take responsibility to admit to the problem and blames the poor quality fuel. It is not like that the fuel quality was good here before! I made a mistake to buy one. That's all! READ VW FORUM

Powerful diesel car
By timm333 on 10/22/11 09:01 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Well this was my first time buying a new car, so I thought I would get what I wanted. I knew I wanted a diesel and the Jetta had all the other features that I wanted too. I bought the car on July 5th, 2011 and in the three months I have owned it I have already put 10,265 miles on it. I figured I might as well break it in while it is still on a warrenty. The engine puts out a lot of torque for its size. The 6m tranny is nice and you can get going fast pretty quick. I have only had the car up to 90mph and it handles pretty good at that speed (all though I don't drive it like that for long). I get more than the advertised 30pmg in town and have hit 50mpg on the highway.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M
By hercnav on 10/09/11 14:33 PM (PDT)

We love the driving experience the TDI provides. Bolder front and rear appearance…lines taken from Audi line…nice! Performance is outstanding for the mileage and power. Seats are good with comfortable sitting position. I’m one of those people whose right leg tends to rest near the center console, but it’s a broad area of contact and not just an edge so it’s comfortable. Nice clean interior design, good visibility. Solid body feel, doors, suspension. The dash design with the chrome accents provides a nice overall look. Rear twisted bean suspension is fine; smooth controlled ride and quiet interior. Some less refined materials and build quality in interior, but not a show stopper.

Not Too Shabby
By maro71 on 08/17/11 17:39 PM (PDT)

I've driven one of these as a loaner vehicle as our 2008 SE 2.5 was in the shop for repairs. We bought it used a month ago. Fortunately we were under warranty. The car was loaded including navigation. I checked out the sticker price in the showroom and they had it for around 29,000. In my opinion diesel is the way to go vice a hybrid. After 2 years or so you have to have your batteries replaced in a hybrid. In a diesel they keep on chumming. I was getting around 43-44 mpg and here in PA where it's all hills. The quality is down sort-off. If you've never owned a VW you won't know the difference. Prior owners such as my self (87 Jetta Gl and 95 Jetta GL) it's readily apparent.

Is this what I've heard so much about?
By colosteve on 08/12/11 18:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've owned my 2011 TDI about 4 months now and I like it. We immediately took it on a road trip (Colorado to Georgia) and it was comfortable and enjoyable. My normal daily driving is about 50 miles round trip. I drive on a curvy mountain road and it ahndles great. The inside is a little on the cheap looking side, but it is a lot for the money. I would have prefered to pay a little more and have a better quality inside. Other than not getting fog lamps it is equipped nice. Everyone I've know swears they get 50 MPG in their older Jetta...what changed. The best I've seen is 44, but it is usually closer to 40 mixed driving.

So far so good
By hathcock90 on 07/19/11 13:10 PM (PDT)

Love my new TDI, I had had for 2 months now. Black on tan with every option. Nav, Kessy, Chrome. So far it has 5k miles and have had no issues great car. Compare quality and price. Free maintains is nice too. Had a issue with bluetooth dealer fixed in 5 minutes.

Luv my TDI
By partymarty on 07/18/11 16:26 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased my TDI about three months ago, and I am extremely satisfied with all major aspects of the car; particularly the economy and performance of the Clean Diesel. However, I do have a few nitpicky quibbles: 1. There is no padding in the overhead storage compartment, so my glasses rattle when placed there. 2. I am getting used to the digital fuel gauge but I am still searching for some sort of engine temp gauge (I hate idiot lights!). 3. I am also still searching for the ACC setting on the ignition switch. 4. I wish I had adjustable lumbar supports on the front seats. 5. Why do I have to order a nav system to get optional fog lights? 6. There is a big blind spot in the left rear!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$147 per month*