2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Traded in a Hybrid
By Annapolitan on 05/03/10 13:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded in my Highlander Hybrid for a JSW TDI and can't be happier. After nearly 10K miles, the car is driving great and the engine is really breaking in. I drive 60 miles each way to work, and on one trip home last week, I average 50.8 mpg! That's more than twice what I gut with my hybrid. Car is comfortable, and I love the nav with satellite traffic. Makes picking a route home during the evening rush much easier. Highly recommend this for commuters who need to carry stuff, or have big dogs, like I do.

LOVE my new Jetta SportWagen TDI!
By JettaMom on 04/26/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

Never had a VW before, but wanted to replace our nice '05 MT Subaru Legacy wagon with an AT car that got better mpg but was as nicely appointed and fun to drive. After I test drove the 2010 Prius, my husband suggested we just stop by the nearby VW dealer to check out their TDI models. I knew almost nothing about clean diesel technology and what good mpg these cars get. When I first hopped into the Jetta SportWagen TDI, I was IMMEDIATELY sold!! Car is beautifully designed and appointed, solid, and has a fun and sporty feel. MPG is fabulous, and I understand it just improves over time, so I expect to average over 40 mpg in mixed driving. I'm happy when I drive it, and that's the bottom line!

Fun!
By TP on 04/19/10 05:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Great car, excellent acceleration, a bit jerky with slow speed braking, but overall a great car. Fit and finish are excellent. Very comfortable.

Great Value
By RA on 04/15/10 22:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my commuter and our family car. one year and 10000 miles, at 40.5 mpg [I have an excel spreadsheet for mileage] for a car with 95% commute of half 35 to 45 mph then highway, total of 58 mile round trip for work. Mileage is getting better, with the computer reporting a best of 49.1 mpg one morning on the way to work recently, when I made all the lights. My only short trip was over 45 mpg, for a 300 mile trip. I love the ergonomic features of this car for its price.

Great Car
By GMAN on 04/14/10 10:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've had the TDI Jetta for 4 months and put over 8,000 miles. I've saved over $370 in fuel costs in the first 3 months. I've been getting an average of 42-44 mpg and drive at 70-80 mph on highway. This car is a great alternative to a hybrid and is fun to drive. I've also tested the Prius and Insight before making my decision. If you do a lot of driving I recommend that you take a look at this car.

Jetta Needs Better Headlights!
By Ecodude on 04/13/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

I love my new Jetta! It handles well and it's a pleasure to drive so far! The only BIG PROBLEM is the stock headlights! Both high and low beams are so weak that its dangerous to drive on dark roads with turns that come up on you! Volkswagen needs to provide all Jettas with higher powered Halogen or HID headlights before people start getting killed! Nobody wants another Toyota situation! Right?

Fantastic, Solid Car
By Adam on 04/13/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

I traded in a big SUV (which averaged 15 mpg in the city) for this car, looking forward to receiving the tax credit ($1,300) and substantial savings at the gas pump. On the first long highway trip, the car averaged 45 mpg. Fantastic - and it drives no different than a car powered by a gasoline engine. Although very new, the car feels solid and responsive. The manual transmission is great. Not having braking issues as others have mentioned. The car is plenty big for my family (me, wife, child, dog). The radio and speakers are high quality. Definitely plenty of car for the money.

Breaks the mold
By Goodie Shoe on 04/12/10 10:42 AM (PDT)

It's a car that just doesn't fit into the usual molds. It's a roomy car with great gas mileage, that's sporty and fun to drive. After a month, it's still a pleasure to drive. Looking forward to when the engine fully breaks in and, as others have reported, better gas mileage.

Diesel & VW Newbie Loves TDI Sportwagen
By Goldilocks on 04/11/10 12:55 PM (PDT)

I'm a 40 yr old professional working mom with two young kids and a long commute. I'd never owned a VW or diesel before buying the TDI Sportwagen (Blue Graphite and beige interior) about 2 weeks/800 miles ago. This car is an excellent value and does so many things well. Performance, comfort, functionality, overall good looks without being too flashy, and MPG are all terrific. So far I'm averaging 42 MPG and that's in some stop-and-go traffic. Getting 600 miles per 14.5 gallon tank is both a money- saver and convenient. And it's a blast to drive. I expect to be driving this car a long time and told my 6 yr old that if he treats the car right, he'll be driving it when he turns 16!

Third TDI
By Bert on 04/10/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

This is my third VW TDI. First one was traded at 7 years 210,000+ miles, second one at 7 years 200,000 miles. No major breaks or downtime. I am not too diligent on maintenance so these have held up well with basic oil changes at 15,000+ miles. Bought 2010 TDI wagon in July 2009. Great ride as usual. My wife wont give my car back.She left me with Windstar van which we will probably replace with TDI Touareg.Are we lucky not have maintenance problems? probably but very satisfied with VW reliability and mileage over 15 years.Great car to drive on long business trips. We now supply TDI wagons to our salesmen.We make up higher initial cost with better fuel mileage.I get 38 MPG mixed and over 40 hwy

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in WA is:

$136 per month*