2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2010 TDI at 10k
By factoryguy on 06/10/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Here's the verdict after 10,000 miles with the 2010 TDI. I had high hopes for this car and it exceeded all my expectations. Mileage is excellent, performance is surprisingly good, turbo lag isn't too bad, handling is precise and predictable, and reliability has been perfect so far (no problems at all).

Excellent vehicle in all respects
By cjk on 06/05/10 19:36 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This vehicle is the perfect combination of fun & frugal. The build quality exceeds expectations for a vehicle of this price. The turbo diesel has adequate acceleration but not exciting. Still very fun to drive (I have the manual trans) and the turbo will punch you into the seat at around 2K RPM. The impressive mileage (35-40 in mixed driving) is just considering that it's actually a sporty, good-looking, fun to drive vehicle. Seats are very comfortable. Noticeably more firm. Go with the 17" wheels for a better driving experience. Great storage in the rear. More than many small-ish SUVs.

Happy new owner
By flyerbry on 06/02/10 17:57 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is no such thing as the perfect vehicle as every design is a compromise but the Jetta TDI is unique in that it gets terrific mileage while being fun to drive. The rush of turbo power from the diesel is very satisfying and the range makes filling up almost fun. For those with bluetooth issues try a different phone; address book works on some and not on others. Mine is Windows Mobile 6.5 and it works fine. It will pair with up to 7 phones and the most recent paired phone gets used first so pair the main drivers phone last. Steering wheel controls available on the TDI are great and cooled (large) glove box and AC plug in back seat are a nice touch.

I love this car
By mcorn on 05/30/10 15:44 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I already have 10,000 miles on the car. Absolutely no defects. I have about 70/30 highway/city split in miles. My average over the past 10,000 miles is 39.9 mpg. My best mpg was a trip up a mountain from 1000 ft to 5300 ft for 56 mpg round trip (44 mpg on the way up). The car keeps on getting better and better gas mileage. It is really fun to drive. I smile every time I fill up. It is remarkably faster than I would have expected, I can pass just about anyone. I love the handling. You definitely won't regret buying this car. It is for the guy who hates wimpy hybrids, but wants to save some gas.

Excellent Car
By Neil on 05/29/10 15:06 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen Diesel with 6 speed Std. Transmission in Nov. 2009. I was looking for a vehicle that a) Good for carrying a bicycle (my hobby) b) Good fuel economy c) Fun to drive. This car is very good on all counts and no problems so far.

Sporty Diesel
By Love my TDI Cup car on 05/27/10 19:02 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Cup Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Really happy, that sums things up nicely. If you are looking for a sporty sedan that gets better gas mileage than most hybrids, you found it. The first reasonably priced sporty diesel in the U.S., I can carve corners and still be good to the environment (and my wallet).

Hidden Gem
By RLW on 05/26/10 12:03 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I shopped for a mpg champ and looked at Hybrids. Ford was unable to get an Escape Hybrid that led me to Edmunds et al. I found the VW Sportwagen TDI. I liked the quality and the price so I bought it. It has the cargo space of an Escape with mileage exceeding its EPA and also for less money. Granted it is not an SUV but it is a nice car. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in cargo space and MPG. Also there is a $1300 tax credit they told me until June 30, 2010. Edmunds, Consumer Reports are right about this being a good alternative to a hybrid. I recently found Hybrid owners on the forums say their MPG drops with battery age by about 5-8 mpg on Escapes. So, my loss was gain.

A combination of Corolla, BMW and Lexus
By IM on 05/21/10 06:58 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The inside is luxurious with lots of fine touch. Windows keep on closing even when the ignition is turned off. With the engine off the excellent radio can be turned on. The trunk closes without crashing the contents. This is the first car that I enjoy just taking

Amazing handling, pick-up, and interiors
By Sunil on 05/14/10 20:31 PM (PDT)

We are expecting our first baby and wanted something more spacious and safe than our old sedan. However, we also wanted something with good mileage that was also powerful (that ruled out the Prius). This car fit the bill perfectly. We are averaging about 35 mpg after 2000 miles (city+hwy) and the car has some serious pick-up. It handles beautifully and has some serious pick-up.The interiors are very stylish and the controls are very practical. We had the power sunroof added on and it is well worth the money, makes us feel like we are in a convertible. We paid MSRP.

Great car!
By ducvw2004 on 05/14/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is not my first VW, let alone my first Jetta. I've owned 7 VWs previously. As always, the quality is very good for the price, and the TDI diesel engine is phenomenal on fuel mileage. On a recent 100 mile round trip on secondary (2-lane) country roads, we averaged about 42mpg with the AC on. Very nice! By far one of the better cars I've owned...and my other car is a 2008 Corvette that cost $63,000 new, so am a bit picky! And, contrary to popular belief, Low Sulfur Diesel is available everywhere. I live in a small town and within 10 miles there are 6 gas stations, four of which offer the proper diesel, the other two I didn't even bother to check.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$109 per month*