2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Diesel advantages
By althaFL on 07/04/10 09:32 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought the car for the wife but I can't stay out of it. Once you get used to the throttle it is quite peppy and responsive. I can fit in comfortably with some seat adjustments (6'1") 208. Performance is great along with mileage. I have installed AFE cold air intake and Banks performance exhaust which have improved response and mileage, no I am not a kid but the AARP age, just like to improve on a good base. Driving somewhat progressively using sport mode I manage 38 to 40 mpg and blow by hybrids. Best deal I got was $24,200 not inclusive of taxes and title. TDI Sportwagon 6AM, Southern kit, 17's, protection kit, Ipod adapt, body moldings, color White Gold metallic. Less than 2000 miles but happy.

9k Update
By FrankD on 07/01/10 15:27 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've had the car for a little over 4 months and have 9k on it and I still love it. I average 45 mpg combined with 75% highway. I drive 27 mi to work and my highest comp mpg has been 51.7 mpg, coasting and 55-60 mph, typ is 48 mpg.Love the radio and the SmartCard insert.I have the panoramic roof which is great for continuing to watch a bird/plane you first see from the side windows.This car is fast off the line and when you punch it, excellent.Low road noise, great quality, great features and can fit two adults in back comfortably .I have been putting my kayaks on top and love that it is low, I can put my 55-60 lb'ers up by myself from the side .With the panoramic get the VW rack due to low clearance

Happy so far!
By Bronster on 07/01/10 14:17 PM (PDT)

So far, very happy. Granted, I just bought it, so take this for what it is. LOVE the torque! Like the solid/stable feel on the road. My Civic was atrocious in winter and wet conditions, hence I got rid of it. The VW already feels 100% better - winter will be the big test tho. Did I mention that I LOVE the torque?? Interior is very nice. Comfy seats. Sparse on storage cubbyholes, but I can live with that. Less reason for me to put more crap in the car that I don't need. Nice and quiet on the road. Drives very smooth. Will be too easy to get a speeding ticket if I'm not careful, so I appreciate the speed warning (setting) feature! Plenty of power in this car! Great cargo space & stereo.

No regrets
By Macsimone on 06/29/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

I was looking for a hatchback.I checked several makes. I really liked the GTI. Then tried the TDI Golf. Fuel economy displaced the GTI fun factor. As I was dealing on a TDI Golf I tried the TDI Sportswagen. It just felt smoother than the Golf, so I bought a TDI JSW with DSG. No paddle shifting like on the GTI and TDI Golf, but the extra room, smoother ride and great handling made up the difference, no regrets. I have a MB AMG E55 and BMW 335 hardtop convert, so I have transport options. The JSW gets the most use. It is one of those cars you hop in and just go and go and go. It is getting 45 mpg using D and S and manually shifting when I want more involvement. Diesel $ still less than premium.

TDI2FLY
By Dzldorf on 06/29/10 07:57 AM (PDT)

This by far the most practical vehicle purchase I’ve made. I think keeping things in perspective is essential when reviewing a vehicle. Yes, it is called a SportWagon but it does not mean, racetrack ready. It is a perfect vehicle for people with an active lifestyle. You want a more rigid suspension buy the Golf TDI and if you want even more practical sports car buy the GTI. For a wagon this car hits the nail right on the head.

No regrets
By bodyshopboy on 06/21/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

Traded an '04 Acura TL for the Sport Wagon in search of better gas mileage and flexibility of a wagon. I think this is one of the best engines out there, plenty of power, good mileage (34 mpg on a commute where the TL got 19) It handles as well or better than the TL. Purchased it with Navi, SMG, Ipod and panoramic sunroof. The Navi is not a great value as it doesn't include other technology upgrades like advanced Bluetooth. It is, however well integrated and displays turn-by-turn in the instrument cluster. Bluetooth is OK, but I miss using voice commands to dial the phone (The TL was better in this regard) It is answer- answer using steering wheel buttons.

First impressions
By bodyshopboy on 06/16/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

Traded in my '04 Acura TL in search of better gas mileage. Mission accomplished - the Jetta gets 34 mpg on my commute that yielded 19-20 mpg in the TL. The Jetta TDI is fun to drive, I feel even more confident through the twisities than in the TL. There are many thoughtful details like ample storage in the door and glove box as well under the floor of the rear cargo area. The Ipod connector is delightful as well allowing full menus. Touch screen audio is well done. Surprised that I liked the 16" wheels over the 17s Bluetooth connection is "answer only" no voice command or interface for dialing. Found a work-around using the cell phone voice command (sad that a $50 cell trumps a $30K car).

Initial Impressions at 1,500 Miles
By Biffster on 06/10/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

I bought our VW JSW TDI only two weeks ago. We live in AL but our local dealers were sticking to MSRP/Sticker. We saved $3,000 (including expenses) by flying to Houston and *driving* our new baby 750 miles back home. We were paying cash, so the savings was "real" to us, instead of just a few bucks per month. It also gave me some time to form some initial impressions. First, this thing HAULS! It *feels* much faster than it's reported 0- 60 times. It holds a 72 MPH "Cruise Control" (at 2300 RPM) up the steepest grades without dropping out of its tallest gear. Amazingly, the seats don't *look* that comfortable, but after 750 miles I realized that I had no butt, leg, or back fatigue. Out of space!!!

2010 TDI at 10k
By factoryguy on 06/10/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Here's the verdict after 10,000 miles with the 2010 TDI. I had high hopes for this car and it exceeded all my expectations. Mileage is excellent, performance is surprisingly good, turbo lag isn't too bad, handling is precise and predictable, and reliability has been perfect so far (no problems at all).

Excellent vehicle in all respects
By cjk on 06/05/10 19:36 PM (PDT)

This vehicle is the perfect combination of fun & frugal. The build quality exceeds expectations for a vehicle of this price. The turbo diesel has adequate acceleration but not exciting. Still very fun to drive (I have the manual trans) and the turbo will punch you into the seat at around 2K RPM. The impressive mileage (35-40 in mixed driving) is just considering that it's actually a sporty, good-looking, fun to drive vehicle. Seats are very comfortable. Noticeably more firm. Go with the 17" wheels for a better driving experience. Great storage in the rear. More than many small-ish SUVs.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in NJ is:

$185 per month*