2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Never thought I'd love a wagon :)
By Makr on 09/08/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI - Candy White, Black Interior, 6-speed. My wife wanted something with room and good gas mileage(not easy to find, as you may already know). I wanted something fun to drive. BAM! VW has the perfect solution. We've only got a little over 1K miles, but this car is great and grows on me more every day. 6-speed is a blast to drive, does not feel like a station wagon at all. Plenty of room for us, our daughter w/ car seat, 2 dogs and luggage on last road trip. What a great feeling to look down and see that you're cruising along at 75+ mph and getting 42+ mpg!! We plan on keeping this car for a LONG time...thanks VW!

tdi fun to drive
By brad on 09/07/10 06:53 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Did a lot of checking on many cars such as focus,civic and camery. After driving all of them so glad I went with the Tdi jetta. Has more pick up handles better then all the rest on the list and I am getting 42mpg going to and from work and one third of that is in the city.Inside the sound system is great. Love the seating and trunk space is great. You will love this car

Ow, my back...
By bkelly on 09/02/10 15:38 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

2010 Jetta TDI, silver. Car is well- built, handles like nothing else I've ever driven. Diesel performance is very good - although you have to get used to it. MPG is fantastic - >40 all the time, even in city driving. So, I'm selling it. Reason - I find the driver's seat amazingly uncomfortable. At 5'11", 205 lbs I don't fit into it, the surface is hard, and the seatback specifically resonates with the vibrations in both the engine and rear suspension - all the way up to the headrest. I've driven trucks and buses for almost 30 years, I've never been so uncomfortable. I don't know what I was thinking on the test drive. Shame on me...

TDI Sportwagen not all it's spozed 2B
By zenmoose on 08/25/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

I bought the thing in a bit of a rush in June to get the tax break, though I had researched it. I bought a basic TDI wagon w/ no moon roof. Basic bluetooth only calls out as another reviewer commented. (Are you kidding me? LAME!) OK. Forget the bluetooth, can't be fixed or flashed. It needs to be replaced at better than a grand. Sigh. The car is fairly well built, looks good, rides ok, moves along well enough. It has a design flaw. This heavy (200 lbs more than the sedan) beast is PRONE TO STALLING. I have driven many manuals, but this is a problem. It has an ultra light flywheel. If it lugs, ECU shuts off at 850 revs! You must turn the key all the way off to restart (Danger!)

Solid Effort from VW Lets You "Go Green"
By wk on 08/14/10 23:49 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

2010 Jetta TDI; Graphite Blue, Titan Black interior; 6 spd; 17" rims. Love the styling of this car inside and out -- paint color is absolutely gorgeous. Interior fit and finish is stellar, especially for this price range. Trunk is enormous. Everything you touch feels solid and thoroughly German. Genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter a nice touch. V-tex seating surfaces do get insanely hot, but they're the best synthetic leather interior pieces I've seen -- can't wait to try the heated seats in the winter. Above-average mileage around town, terrific mileage on the highway. It's not a dragster, but accelerates strongly on the highway (3rd-6th), and is quite bored at 90 mph.

TDI
By Hunter on 08/04/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought solely for the TDI and it has been flawless. However maint issues, susp noise, glove box latch (4th I've seen), rear window leaks when lifted up via the wiper mount. Overall has been a good car, sat, CD, seats, and we love the sunroof. Mileage, best has been 42 hwy wo ac, 39 with, hoping for better, but it only has 9k miles. Free maint is good, but should cover more. Had to shop for a fair price so be careful, some dealers will bend you over the table. I would suggest highly an extended warranty, not feeling to safe. Sold my 08 TL Type S due to gas mpg and job change and wish I still had it due to the maint issues already on the VW.

Fine car with Bluetooth issues...
By Geddiesel on 08/02/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

I finally reached the tipping point with filling my pig of an Audi with fuel every week and had read many positive reviews of VW's 2.0 TDI engine. I have owned several Audis and VWs so I am well aware of their iffy reliability and expensive maintenance, but I've got a good warranty and free maintenance for 3 years. The engine and DSG transmission are perfectly matched. The powertrain is peppy, smooth and relatively quiet, considering it is a diesel. Beware of the Bluetooth option as the wagons have a crude and different module than the TDI sedan that seriously limits the functions. You can only receive incoming calls with the wagon; no downloading of phone contacts or voice control, etc.

So Far So Good
By JF on 08/02/10 05:33 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We did a lot of research when the dust settled it was down to the new Ford Focus, the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Insight. Why the Jetta TDI well it doesnít feel like a small car has a nice ride with lots of safety features that goes a long way on a tank of fuel. Just hope the dependability will be as good as the driving experience has a lot of punch that comes in handy when needed. Itís not a luxury car but itís nicely equipped youíll not think of it as little car. Heritage VW of South AL didnít try all the dealer sells tricks nice to deal with, thank you.

Concerned owner
By SR on 07/30/10 07:31 AM (PDT)

This is my first vw. I bought it because I thought I will keep the car for ever since I know diesel engines last forever. Also MPG is a huge plus. Shortly after I bought the car I started to see reports about HPFP failures and the way company is blaming them on contaminated fuel! These cars are in the market for only two years and they have less than 30- 40K mileage on them and they are failing! If US diesel fuel is so bad why VW introduced these new engine? Everybody is talking how clean these are but how good they would be if they fail after few thousand miles? The sad part is VW has not issues any answer why HPFP is failing. I bought this car to travel cross country and have fun not concern!

Jetta Sportwagon TDI
By tom az on 07/21/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

This is a great, practical car for the money. For a fuel sipping economy car it has great acceleration from 0-50 then looses its oomph. Takes on the AZ mountains with no problems. Mileage averages have been City 32-35mpg, Hwy 40-48, overall after 5000 miles 35mpg. Cargo area has plenty of room especially with the rear seat cushions folded forward. Only complaints are some minor creature comfort issues, lack of storage and excessive road noise. Also, the ipod interface is useless, it takes forever to scroll through the ipod menu as if the stereo needs more memory.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$109 per month*