2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2010 Jetta TDI JSW DSG
By martin on 11/18/09 13:56 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car in October. Its my first diesel. The ride is smooth, handing excellent and the interior is very upscale. Between the Ipod Interface, Touchscreen Satelite Radio, 6 CD changer, SD card slot and am/fm radio there is plenty to keep you occupied on long trips. The car is "green" almost no diesel clatter and the DSG shifts like a true manual in Sport Mode. Mileage has been as high as 48.3 on the highway and about 30 mpg in down and dirty local driving. The cargo capacity at 67 cu. ft. is almost as much as the Suby Outback Wagon which is almost a foot longer. The gas mileage is significantly better as I am convinced I can get 50mpg when the engine is broken in.

Check engine light blues!
By 4 Paws on 11/16/09 13:20 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the TDI wagon with manual transmission with sunroof and sat nav system. Good styling, handles nice, runs good and only sips fuel. The check engine light came on before I made it home from the dealer so I drove a loaner for a week. Two weeks later the light came on again. Another loaner. More time in the shop. Nice little car but I really have issues with the reliability. In all honesty I can't recommend the car but I have lot's of good to say about the dealership.

Frustration!
By 4 Paws on 11/10/09 06:26 AM (PST)

Bought the TDI Sportswagen manual trans because it was a good looking little car with nice styling and good fuel mileage. Car can't stay out of the shop! In the first 25 days of owning it has been back twice for multi-day stays in the dealership service dept. Dealer is trying hard but the car has mechanical problems. VW just isn't building reliable cars. Spent good money and didn't get good quality.

An Excellent Wagon
By Gavin 01 on 11/09/09 11:29 AM (PST)

I was surprised by how good the DSG transmission is! I normally prefer a manual gearbox on small cars - but the DSG is superb. The interior is very clean and well designed, I like the access panel in the rear seat for carrying long objects. The extra torque from the diesel is also a lot of fun. I'm trying to see just how economical I can be on my commute (80% freeway) my best so far is 42 mpg.

Awesome Car for the Money
By TDICali on 10/29/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car 3 weeks ago and so far I've been very impressed by the performance and fuel economy of the TDI. I stopped buying VW cars because of the reliability issues in recent years, but hopefully that's all in the past. The car came fully equipped and the only extract I got was the bigger wheels, which make a big difference in handling.

TDI Convert!
By Sean in SD on 10/28/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've owned this car for almost a month and have just over 1,000 miles and really love it. Very nice luxury interior and features without the luxury price tag. I got the 2010 TDI and the only options I got was the 17" Avignon wheels, which were reasonably priced at $450, and the rear spoiler for another $500 to give the TDI that sporty look. I'm getting over 40 mpg on the highway and got 48.1 mpg on a long road trip. I love the touch screen radio, blue tooth, steering wheel controls and the multi-function display. The V-Tex "leather" interior is nice and the other standard features such as heated seats and heated windshield fluid will be nice when it's cold. Overall it's a great car!!!!

Exceeding Expectations
By Sacto_J on 10/16/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

Just bought my TDI Sportwagen last week. And even though it is still in the break-in period, it is getting great gas mileage. My commute is 50/50 city/hwy and I am averaging 39mpg. The interior is comfortable and well laid out. The touch screen radio and steering wheel controls make everything easy and keep my eyes on the road. Seats are firm and comfortable. Cargo area is roomy for a small car.

Oklahoma City 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
By OklaVolks on 10/09/09 12:13 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my Jetta TDI sedan in September and have been very pleased with it so far. I've put over 1,000 miles on it in city, mixed, and highway driving and have averaged 38 mpg per fill up. My previous car was a 2004 Acura TSX which was fun to drive and very reliable but which used premium unleaded gas. The Jetta is about 60% more fuel efficient than my TSX and almost as much fun to drive. I like the DSG transmission just fine and have no complaints as do some other reviewers about lack of "creep" at a stop, the engine downshifting, etc. The fit and finish are very good, the handling is excellent, and there are a lot of nice little touches in the car that were unexpected pleasant surprises.

A New Diesel Convert!
By Bill D. in L.A. on 09/22/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Looking for a combination of good gas mileage, sportiness and quality is not easy. However, the Jetta TDI hits on all 3! I love this car. 33 MPG in L.A. traffic and downtown and over 40 MPG on the freeway, all with a brand new engine. The TDI really makes me enjoy driving again. The suspension is a bit bit stiff and the steering is very responsive. The interior finish is equivalent to a much more expensive car. Love the new white and red dash instrument lights. The neon blue in older VW's can lead to vertigo (kidding). The folks at VW have hit a home run with this car. Bought through the the AAA program. Great price and dealers will still negotiate too.

Love it so Far
By TDIinMD on 09/17/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Just bought the car a week ago but I am really falling in love with it already. Only used one tank of gas but I'm averaging 47MPG on mostly highway driving. Got the base TDI with no options except the Southern kit which is pretty much just extra floor mats and a trunk divider. Traded in a 06 Mazda3 and while the TDI is not as nimble on the road, it is much more compliant and comfortable for my commute. Amazing set of features for a "base" car: Touch screen satellite radio, ten airbags, heated seats and mirrors, and much more. Also like the VW 3 years/36,000 mile recommended services that are included. If the car turns out to be reliable it will be the perfect vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$109 per month*