2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 10

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Jetta Needs Better Headlights!
By Ecodude on 04/13/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love my new Jetta! It handles well and it's a pleasure to drive so far! The only BIG PROBLEM is the stock headlights! Both high and low beams are so weak that its dangerous to drive on dark roads with turns that come up on you! Volkswagen needs to provide all Jettas with higher powered Halogen or HID headlights before people start getting killed! Nobody wants another Toyota situation! Right?

Fantastic, Solid Car
By Adam on 04/13/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded in a big SUV (which averaged 15 mpg in the city) for this car, looking forward to receiving the tax credit ($1,300) and substantial savings at the gas pump. On the first long highway trip, the car averaged 45 mpg. Fantastic - and it drives no different than a car powered by a gasoline engine. Although very new, the car feels solid and responsive. The manual transmission is great. Not having braking issues as others have mentioned. The car is plenty big for my family (me, wife, child, dog). The radio and speakers are high quality. Definitely plenty of car for the money.

Breaks the mold
By Goodie Shoe on 04/12/10 10:42 AM (PDT)

It's a car that just doesn't fit into the usual molds. It's a roomy car with great gas mileage, that's sporty and fun to drive. After a month, it's still a pleasure to drive. Looking forward to when the engine fully breaks in and, as others have reported, better gas mileage.

Diesel & VW Newbie Loves TDI Sportwagen
By Goldilocks on 04/11/10 12:55 PM (PDT)

I'm a 40 yr old professional working mom with two young kids and a long commute. I'd never owned a VW or diesel before buying the TDI Sportwagen (Blue Graphite and beige interior) about 2 weeks/800 miles ago. This car is an excellent value and does so many things well. Performance, comfort, functionality, overall good looks without being too flashy, and MPG are all terrific. So far I'm averaging 42 MPG and that's in some stop-and-go traffic. Getting 600 miles per 14.5 gallon tank is both a money- saver and convenient. And it's a blast to drive. I expect to be driving this car a long time and told my 6 yr old that if he treats the car right, he'll be driving it when he turns 16!

Third TDI
By Bert on 04/10/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

This is my third VW TDI. First one was traded at 7 years 210,000+ miles, second one at 7 years 200,000 miles. No major breaks or downtime. I am not too diligent on maintenance so these have held up well with basic oil changes at 15,000+ miles. Bought 2010 TDI wagon in July 2009. Great ride as usual. My wife wont give my car back.She left me with Windstar van which we will probably replace with TDI Touareg.Are we lucky not have maintenance problems? probably but very satisfied with VW reliability and mileage over 15 years.Great car to drive on long business trips. We now supply TDI wagons to our salesmen.We make up higher initial cost with better fuel mileage.I get 38 MPG mixed and over 40 hwy

Well-rounded car
By dm on 04/07/10 11:58 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have a little over 4K miles. Excellent mpg, mid 30s around town, mid 40s highway. Plenty of pep for merging/passing. Manual trans is smooth. Seats are very supportive and long drives are not tiring. Interior is well designed. Radio sound quality is good and voice activated bluetooth calling works well. The iPod interface is slow to dial through playlist. Great trunk space. I have 17 inch wheels and the handling is very precise and solid. Is very quiet on the highway, but I like the sound when accelerating.

JettaTDI Bluetooth Issues
By 136tap on 03/31/10 04:43 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Any ideas what it may take for the dealer to eliminate the wind tunnel noise that folks hear when I call from my car? I'm guessing (ran my own tests!) -- the mike is too close to the air vents in the car. I'm concerned that they will want to take out the dashboard -- don't really want them to do this to a one month old car! Also the bluetooth won't pair with a 6-month old Verizon phone -- it's supposed to pair with up to 3 different phones!

TDI Jetta: Awful Brakes! 23MPG Total
By Ken Hunt on 03/28/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Beware, as the TDI Diesel engine is Heavy, causing this car to Brake horribly. I have had 3 slow driving near misses due to braking being massively delayed. Folks these brakes are the worst I have ever driven. 23 MPG combined, you can call this good, but forget about all these 40 and 50MPG FALSE CLAIMS.

My favorite car
By LC on 03/21/10 04:29 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The diesel is fantastic. Average mileage 41 in 3600 miles of driving. Everything about the car is fantastic. My last car was a late model BMW. I will never go back. VW design is fantastic and build quality and reliability are very good. Tons of features for the money. My favorite car.

Diesels Rule Hybrids Drool
By Frank D on 03/20/10 06:29 AM (PDT)

Ok, not a long range review, I only have 1200 miles on it, but so far love it. I have been averaging 42 mpg on my 27 mile one way commute, mostly country highway miles. Heated seats are great on the cold mornings, I don't mind the long time for heat to come out the vents, but after 3-4 miles the interior begins to heat up nicely. Inside layout is very good, but it is a smaller car so not that much room to store things. I like the panoramic roof and the radio system. The computer display is functional and I love to play the game of mpg. I've wanted a TDI for 10 years and finally talked the wife into it. From a green standpoint of "oil well to wheels" a diesel is more efficient than a hybrid.