Used 2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Warranty issues
By chalkiez

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I opine that Volkswagen of America (VoA) does not stand behind their warranty process. I brought my 2010 JettaWagen TDI to a VW dealer for sunroof problems, during the warranty period. It was serviced, but the problems with intermittent failure to open/close continued. Subsequently the sunroof failed, of course out of warranty now. It cost me almost $2,000 to repair. When I contacted VoA today, they denied my warranty claim. Buyer beware - if you have intermittent problems during the warranty process, you may be stuck paying for the repair later, even though you brought it to VoA''s attention. This is not right. I gave VoA multiple chances to address this issue, but they have refused.

Poor quality and poor Service
By nchezy

The car has had numerous issues and it is only 27 months old with 38k miles. Most recently and now 2k miles after warranty coverage ended, the turbo intercooler cracked which caused the particulate filter and EGR cooler to fail. My extended warranty covers the IC but the DPF and EGR c ooler not covered. Cost to repair is $2100. VW offering to contribute $1000. 2-year old car and I owe $1,100 for repair...POOR Quality and VW not standing behind there product. BEWARE this car and extended warranties purchased from VW

Favorite Features

good gas mileage, nice interior, panorama sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Mechnical reliablity and affordable replacement parts. Offer a warranty with less small print

More diesel, please!
By ray_j

I decided to give up the commuter/family mover (Prius) in favor of the inspired driving characteristics, superior cargo room, and better looks of the JSW. Not wanting to give up on the efficiency, however, made the decision for the TDI flavor much more of a "need" than a "want". Well worth the premium price. I often find myself forgetting when the last time I refueled. The interior treatment is far superior to the JSW's competition, with excellent audio/entertainment accompaniments and vastly superior quality of materials/workmanship. Cargo hauling is also a big plus; after moving our household, I can attest to the versatility of having a wagon vice a sedan, or an mpg nightmare (SUVs).

Favorite Features

Exterior looks; interior quality; fuel efficiency; hauling versatility; inspired driving characteristics; ergonomics and control placement; manual transmission is spaced brilliantly, with a "true" 6th gear overdrive!

Suggested Improvements

Add an updated Bluetooth module to enable voice calling (DONE! The MY 2011 has it as a standard option for the TDI) I stayed away from the panoramic roof due to several leak and moisture issues reported by some owners.

Overall very good - but water leak.
By Anonymous

Panoramic, Goal wheel upgrade, and Ipod hookup. dGoal wheels are great if clean your own car. Payed premium for diesel and fuel economy. Don't know if hype and economy is worth paying sticker. Had a massive water leak from sunroof drain hose that leaked into spare tire pan. A couple inches of water in the pan and your windows will never defog. Had to talk the dealer into a loaner for that issue. Pleather is underwhelming. Might be nice after sand volleyball league and mtn. biking next summer. Still miss the leather. Seats hurt your back and butt on long drives. Does not sound or smell like the old diesels. To find the diesel pump, look for the oil slick at the gas station.

Favorite Features

42 highway, 35-ish city. No diesel stereotypical drawbacks (smell, rattle, noise). Audio, satellite, Ipod hookup. Controls all intuitive. Handles good, great mileage. Stick is responsive and fun to drive. Steering wheel controls and driver info is top notch. Pano roof is cool, best in back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Homelink, sunglass storage, better seats, leather, and a little more cockpit room. Auto-climate control. These are all features my 2000 Passat had, and I hoped they would have trickled down and been standard by now. Bluetooth hookup works well, but sound quality on both ends is not good.

New VW Household
By Anonymous

My wife and I bought a 2009 Jetta SE last April and were very impressed. After much deliberation, I decided to give up my Infiniti M45 in exchange for a TDI Sportwagen. I find myself defending this move to my friends on a daily basis and truly believe it was a great move. Double the gas mileage, great stereo/navigation system with hard drive, and panoramic sunroof were the biggest selling features. The tax credit was a nice bonus too. It is not a hot rod, won't turn heads, and has some odd quirks, but is a really great car overall. I have averaged about 39 MPG over the first 2,000 miles. No problems to this point with either of our new VW's.

Favorite Features

Tie between the panoramic sunroof and hard drive audio system. Audio system would win if it didn't reset the mix every time its turned off...tends to replay songs too often.

Suggested Improvements

Homelink!!! No idea how they can continue to leave this off! The media system also takes a little too long to start up.