2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
drain plug broken by VW dealer
By markp46 on 09/11/13 09:13 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I took my 2010 Jetta TDI into the dealer for the 50k oil change. They broke the drain plug. This dealer blamed both the dealer who did the 40k oil change and VW for a defective drain bolt. Neither party would accept any responsibility or offer any assistance. The shop that broke my car did offer 50% towards the $600 repair bill as they needed to replace the oil pan. VW after doing nothing did ask me if I was satisfied with their service. Dear VW I'm not satisfied and I will never purchase another VW product. Avoid VW. If they will not help on a minor issue that had nothing to do with wear or abuse do not expect VW to step and help if something major goes wrong.

Reliable, strong, economical
By tdi10 on 08/07/13 09:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

No problems in 36k+ miles. Drives like glued to a road. Great city acceleration or when lights turn green, and pretty good on interstates when downshifted. Mileage depends on the number and frequency of stops: 32-40 in town, 45-52 on secondary roads and close to 50 on interstates. All with dynamic driving. Excellent radio and cell bluetooth integration. Large cargo volume with non-crushing hinges. Quiet engine except for occasional louder turbocharger heard on quiet surfaces.

Incredible machine!
By jinxo on 05/20/11 10:53 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The 2010 Jetta TDI is far and away the finest car I have ever owned. It is tightly constructed and a joy to drive. Best of all is the mileage: in a mix of highway and suburban driving, I consistently get in the mid-to-high 40's, sometimes over 50 mpg. I like the styling (last year for this style) and the interior quality is excellent. While not a screamer, performance is beyond adequate. In 20 months, I have put over 47,000 miles on this car with very few issues. My wife has a Honda Accord, and she is very jealous of my Jetta. I'm very pleased!

Crazy Fun
By buelo on 03/14/11 20:52 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have had this car for 6 months - mostly driven in Wisconsin winter conditions. After 8,500 miles all I can say is WOW! Fun would be an understatement. I spent about $800 for a winter set of alloy rims and Michelin X-Ice tires at Tire Rack - highly recommend winter tires given the torque in this engine. Averaged 38 to 40 MPG over coldest months driving 40% city/60% highway. Now above freezing and getting 42 to 44 MPG. If I really keep off the gas pedal I can get high 40s, but hard to do when you have that engine under the hood. Beats the heck out of my wife's Camry Hybrid and gets much better highway milage (city milage too in cold weather.) Manual is a little touchy until you get feel.

MPG & Fun to Drive
By hudld on 12/06/10 00:35 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought a White/tan Jetta TDI 4-door, w/DSG transmission, sunroof, 17" wheels & iPod int. kit. Paid $24,853 incl'g destination (& free matts!). Traded-in a (German-made) 2-seater convertible, 6 cyl, that took prem fuel. First fill-up (combined hwy/city driving) yielded 38mpg and price of fuel was $2.69. Thought I'd miss my 6cyl vehicle, but haven't noticed; great acceleration with this vehicle, plenty of room, and a great touch- screen radio! I've also owned an Audi A-4 and this is as nice/nicer and a lot cheaper & quicker.

unhappy with new jetta
By booksbooks on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I just bought a new Jetta. In only 2 weeks, I have already had 2 different problems requiring 2 different trips to the dealership. Neither VW nor the dealership offered a free rental car while my car was being repaired.

Excellent all-around car
By AlexV on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After having driven this car for 1,000 miles, there have been no problems with the car so far. The TDI makes this car very fuel efficient, averaging over 48 mpg, while being able to zip past cars when the need arises. The interior feels and looks upscale while the price is very reasonable.

Efficient and Fun
By AlexV on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Loaded with extras, sunroof, excellent handling, great mileage, dealer incentives, bluetooth hands-free, ipod connection...what's not to love. Hopefully, reliability is not an issue.

Love My TDI!
By TurboTDI on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Got my Jetta TDI a couple of weeks ago. I can't stop smiling when driving it and I can't stop looking up more info on what others say about their love for the TDI. Wanted a Sportswagen but the great deal I got on the sedan was unbeatable - 0% financing for 66 months fro VW Credit. Thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Emich VW in Denver. My wife and two sons love going on drives with me. Hoping winter driving in it goes well, but have heard good reports (used to driving 4wheeldrives). Thank you VW for all of the fun, safety, performance, MPGs! My 3rd VW in 26 years. Can't beat the enjoyment of all of my v-dubs.

The right car after a long search.
By Stryrker on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was looking for a car with good fuel efficiency, comfortable to travel home from Minneapolis to Bismarck, and room for bicycles in the summer and 210cm cross country skis in the winter. Crash safety was also very important. After narrowing it down to the Jetta and a Subaru Impreza, I chose the Jetta. The manual is a much more tricky than any I've ever used, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Expect to kill the engine now and again. There's tons of space in the trunk. It is better than hatchback versions of the Subaru and Mazda3 I drove in terms of space and ski/bike fit. The seats are very comfortable, and I fit well in the driver's area. Good visibility.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$109 per month*