2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Warranty issues
By chalkiez on 06/06/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I opine that Volkswagen of America (VoA) does not stand behind their warranty process. I brought my 2010 JettaWagen TDI to a VW dealer for sunroof problems, during the warranty period. It was serviced, but the problems with intermittent failure to open/close continued. Subsequently the sunroof failed, of course out of warranty now. It cost me almost $2,000 to repair. When I contacted VoA today, they denied my warranty claim. Buyer beware - if you have intermittent problems during the warranty process, you may be stuck paying for the repair later, even though you brought it to VoA''s attention. This is not right. I gave VoA multiple chances to address this issue, but they have refused.

Poor quality and poor Service
By nchezy on 03/31/12 06:18 AM (PDT)

The car has had numerous issues and it is only 27 months old with 38k miles. Most recently and now 2k miles after warranty coverage ended, the turbo intercooler cracked which caused the particulate filter and EGR cooler to fail. My extended warranty covers the IC but the DPF and EGR c ooler not covered. Cost to repair is $2100. VW offering to contribute $1000. 2-year old car and I owe $1,100 for repair...POOR Quality and VW not standing behind there product. BEWARE this car and extended warranties purchased from VW

More diesel, please!
By ray_j on 01/12/11 10:21 AM (PST)

I decided to give up the commuter/family mover (Prius) in favor of the inspired driving characteristics, superior cargo room, and better looks of the JSW. Not wanting to give up on the efficiency, however, made the decision for the TDI flavor much more of a "need" than a "want". Well worth the premium price. I often find myself forgetting when the last time I refueled. The interior treatment is far superior to the JSW's competition, with excellent audio/entertainment accompaniments and vastly superior quality of materials/workmanship. Cargo hauling is also a big plus; after moving our household, I can attest to the versatility of having a wagon vice a sedan, or an mpg nightmare (SUVs).

Overall very good - but water leak.
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:35 AM (PST)

Panoramic, Goal wheel upgrade, and Ipod hookup. dGoal wheels are great if clean your own car. Payed premium for diesel and fuel economy. Don't know if hype and economy is worth paying sticker. Had a massive water leak from sunroof drain hose that leaked into spare tire pan. A couple inches of water in the pan and your windows will never defog. Had to talk the dealer into a loaner for that issue. Pleather is underwhelming. Might be nice after sand volleyball league and mtn. biking next summer. Still miss the leather. Seats hurt your back and butt on long drives. Does not sound or smell like the old diesels. To find the diesel pump, look for the oil slick at the gas station.

New VW Household
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:35 AM (PST)

My wife and I bought a 2009 Jetta SE last April and were very impressed. After much deliberation, I decided to give up my Infiniti M45 in exchange for a TDI Sportwagen. I find myself defending this move to my friends on a daily basis and truly believe it was a great move. Double the gas mileage, great stereo/navigation system with hard drive, and panoramic sunroof were the biggest selling features. The tax credit was a nice bonus too. It is not a hot rod, won't turn heads, and has some odd quirks, but is a really great car overall. I have averaged about 39 MPG over the first 2,000 miles. No problems to this point with either of our new VW's.

TDI Sportwagen - sporty & great mileage
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:35 AM (PST)

Have had TDI wagon for a few weeks and absolutely love it. Amazing combination of horsepower/torque and gas mileage. Really fun to drive. Terrific stereo. I bought the sunroof option and it brings a lot of light in, especially into the back seat. Auto options are terrific: can have economy in standard Drive, switch to sporty in S, and downshift manually with Tiptronic.

good piece of advice....
By jettaowner on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I had this car for little over a month, 1900miles. Great car....but, I am ready to replace it for regular gasoline. The dealership found already traces of regular gasoline in my fuel system, even I only fueled only 3 times with diesel. You will have hard time finding a good gas station that doesn't mix the cheaper regular gasoline into the more expensive diesel fuel. Be aware, this becomes your problem, warranty doesn't cover this fraud. Replacing fuel system could cost you $6,000.

Fun plus fuel efficient
By Andy on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Purchased a manual transmission tdi wagon in late august. Have owned a diesel rabbit back in the 70's, since then nothing but hondas and volvos. Vw has hit a home run with the jetta sportwagen. Fun to drive, great gearing, 40+ mpg since day one. Decided to purchase when vw finally had incentives on the diesel (1.9%) plus the tax credit. Hope it lasts like my hondas and volvos. So far no complaints, and pleasure to drive. Looking forward to how it handles snow this winter.

do not buy a jetta with navigation
By jetta owner on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

the car runs well and gets great mileage, but the navigation system does not have all the maps and does not connect to the phone (despite phone buttons). i am most annoyed because all VW customer service says is to talk to navteq and buy new, several hundred dollar, map upgrades. very poor customer service in my opinion. minor gripe, but there is a noticable delay with the horn.

Never thought I'd love a wagon :)
By Makr on 09/08/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI - Candy White, Black Interior, 6-speed. My wife wanted something with room and good gas mileage(not easy to find, as you may already know). I wanted something fun to drive. BAM! VW has the perfect solution. We've only got a little over 1K miles, but this car is great and grows on me more every day. 6-speed is a blast to drive, does not feel like a station wagon at all. Plenty of room for us, our daughter w/ car seat, 2 dogs and luggage on last road trip. What a great feeling to look down and see that you're cruising along at 75+ mph and getting 42+ mpg!! We plan on keeping this car for a LONG time...thanks VW!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$115 per month*