Used 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love my 2010 Jetta TDI premium
By akarimoon@Gmail.com

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I decided to write a review because everyone freak out about the TDI emission scandal. When I'm looking for a car I want fuel efficient with decent horsepower. I've been looking all other different brands like Toyota, Honda because they are cheap to maintain and have a good reputation. But Toyota look is not selling me and I can't stand Prius look even though that will be the best buy for fuel economy. I can't buy Honda either because I hate honda dashboard ...too busy with many buttons. I end up buying 2010 Jetta Sedan at first sight without a plan. Dashboard is simple and I got premium so I got good audio with a screen, heated seat , fake leather but good quality leather and it helps a lot for me cus easier to clean up after I travel with my dog...also have a sunroof. If you buy premium you won't have any complains about interior.....how about exterior? It's simple ordinary sedan like other sedan but it's really cute. The best part is fuel economy, I travel 60 miles monday to friday and go out at weekend too. Everytime i fill up my tank its around $21 or $22 a week which is half of the gas price of other german car. My husband have audi and he have to spend like $45 a week for gas. My car Horse power is 140 but torque is 236. Can you belive that? I can easily accelerate when I want to..it make my life a lot easier when i have to change lane and get over some other car ..i do not feel like my car is luck of power at all.. In fact one of my friend comment how fast is my car is. She did not except that much of torque in jetta. Bascially this car is like prius but better. I can keep go on and on how much i love this car and. f... .this car as my lover. Ok one draw back exp that i have is that my car need to change EGR value .. it cost like $500 after labor but i got customer good will package as apology from volkswagen for cheating emission $500 prepaid credit card to use on whatever i want and another $500 for servicing at any Volkswagens dealer outlet. So they pretty much paid for it. I heard a few owner has that EGR valve problem and they nag about it. When it happen you will see engine light come on...don't worry its nothing to do with engine just that EGR vavlue need to replace or clean . That thing only surf purpose is to make the emission better. When im busy i drove with that engine light on like 5 month stright and nothing happen. Its just a light... and my car still run great. For all the people want to say ..now we know that TDI is polluting the air ..why should we buy to destroy the mother earth??? TDI model is already on the market there will be someone always buying it and driving it so no matter what it will pollute it anyway. Infact because of the scandal TDI price is going down so that's the deal that you can have. So why not? I bought my tdi before the scandal come out...and when I heard about that they lie about emission of course im upset but it is what it is for now and i still love my car and I'm still Volkswagen's fan. I hope that they don't lie in the future tho. I will not buy any car except Volkswagen cus they price well and good quality car to have compare with other german car.

Mixed Bag
By Paul

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

TDI has great gas mileage, good power, heavy, road hugging solid car with good storage. Radio went out and that caused a parasitic drain on the battery for some reason. New radio cost $700 plus and while I could have lived without the radio the dead radio was actually draining the battery for some reason and this is a common issue. Fuse box went out and it should not have. The throttle box went out and it should not have. Those were all costly repairs. I had two glo plugs go out but I can live with that and understand that. I love it when it runs and it parks well in an urban area. Then there is the emissions issue which is by now well known and yes I feel deceived like everyone else. I was/am hope to get 300,000 miles out of the car given it is a diesel. I have 65,000 now but I do not know how the fix will affect the car. All in all.....I should have bought a Ford or perhaps a Mazda or Subarau

money pit
By greg snodgrass

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have had my car 5 years/100,000 miles. AC compressor went out last week=$1600. This week, the particulate filter/catalytic converter went out and that is going to cost $5100. At 120,000 miles, the timing belt will need to be replaced=$1200. The NADA on the car is $9000. I will never buy another VW.

Worst Car I have ever owned
By Frank

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought new in 2010. The combined cost of warranty and non-warranty (my cost) has surely exceeded the purchase price of the vehicle in 150K miles. It has spent much of the last 4 months in the dealer shop and they finally admit they can't fix it. Problems started around 10K miles when VW replaced a $7000 part in the exhaust system - this is crazy. Then the problems just went on - 3 times the cruise control failed; several sensors and relays have failed; wiring too close to exhaust part have burned; the particulate filter clogged; the started failed; the waste gate has been freed up at least 3 times; the radio failed; the ECM failed; and now the turbo actuator and a sensor have failed. This is my 11th and last VW.

Where do i start?
By Gianni

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The good: great performance, power, interior build quality, MPG.
The bad: .......Expensive maintenance, engineering flaws abound.... HPFP not engineered to USA diesel tolerances. 7K $ repair, DPF (filter that once clogged under 150K miles cost several thousand dollars.) How do you engineer a car with known issues that are so expensive to repair? intake manifold went around 120k. Then the EGR problems and limp mode. I unloaded the car with 160k miles once the wastegate actuator went on the turbo. Oh yeah, good luck if your turbo goes..it will....another several thousand dollars. I know 2 others whose turbo blew before 150k. That is why i got rid of this money-sucking headache. Shame on you VW ! Lawsuits, and building a car just shy of a lemon.
VW ...NEVER AGAIN