2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
AC garbage
By alicat2441 on 08/08/14 19:21 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Do not buy this car or any VW-they refuse to stand by their product! In 7/13 my AC completely quit. VW said I needed a new AC compressor for $1700. VW of America helped-cost brought down to $700. AC worked until 5/14 where delayed/intermittent cooling started. 6/13 VW said AC had a leak. Problem continued. Had diagnostic done today and told I need a new AC unit. The AC compressor- new 7/13- is breaking down and sending debris thru system-cost to replace $2+K. VW of A will not help to replace AC system because 93K miles on car even though new AC comp was put in 7/13.. Warranty on 7/13 work was 12 month/12K miles-17K put on car in 10 months no warranty. Go read VW forums.

Disappointing After Warranty
By trainsam on 07/15/14 12:15 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Drives great. Love the mileage. Functionality is outstanding. Carries three bikes on top, three young kids, lots of luggage. But, AC compressor replaced under warranty 14 months ago, and is out again. VW knows they have a problem with this and won't deal with it. Nearly entire fuel system replaced under warranty. Another problem VW is aware of, yet won't do a recall. Car has been in shop numerous times for fuel system and AC issues, particularly after 25,000 miles. Now has 59,000. Was hoping to get 200,000 or more with a diesel engine. Not looking good. First VW. May be my last if they don't replace this second AC compressor. Would consider VW again only if there is proof of improvement.

Warranty issues
By chalkiez on 06/06/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I opine that Volkswagen of America (VoA) does not stand behind their warranty process. I brought my 2010 JettaWagen TDI to a VW dealer for sunroof problems, during the warranty period. It was serviced, but the problems with intermittent failure to open/close continued. Subsequently the sunroof failed, of course out of warranty now. It cost me almost $2,000 to repair. When I contacted VoA today, they denied my warranty claim. Buyer beware - if you have intermittent problems during the warranty process, you may be stuck paying for the repair later, even though you brought it to VoA''s attention. This is not right. I gave VoA multiple chances to address this issue, but they have refused.

Not happy with reliability
By evohog99 on 05/12/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2010 model Sportwagon TDI in January 2011. Last model available on clearance sale. It is the fully loaded one with the huge sunroof and all the goodies. DSG transmission. Had it 3 and half years it has 70K on in and this is the list of problems I have had. Sun roof problem Injector failure Injector wire harness failure Transmission cap broke and leaked tranny fluid out. Now the AC went out this weekend The transmission is extremely expensive to do regular maintenance on. I would only recommend a stick shift to anyone buying a VW TDI.

Horrible Air Conditioning
By pthurman on 02/26/14 16:38 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My AC started to fail at 40k. Took the to the dealer repeatedly. Per VW of Lafayette, LA - Standard operation of the Air condition is that it takes 8 - 10mins of drive time for the air conditioning to begin working. Eventually my AC totally failed - the compressors on these cars have known defects will produce metal which will contaminate the entire AC system. Both dealer and VW of America refuse to warranty the car. Horrible experience with this car. Btw standard oil change at the dealer is $300! Beware!

drain plug broken by VW dealer
By markp46 on 09/11/13 09:13 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I took my 2010 Jetta TDI into the dealer for the 50k oil change. They broke the drain plug. This dealer blamed both the dealer who did the 40k oil change and VW for a defective drain bolt. Neither party would accept any responsibility or offer any assistance. The shop that broke my car did offer 50% towards the $600 repair bill as they needed to replace the oil pan. VW after doing nothing did ask me if I was satisfied with their service. Dear VW I'm not satisfied and I will never purchase another VW product. Avoid VW. If they will not help on a minor issue that had nothing to do with wear or abuse do not expect VW to step and help if something major goes wrong.

Reliable, strong, economical
By tdi10 on 08/07/13 09:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

No problems in 36k+ miles. Drives like glued to a road. Great city acceleration or when lights turn green, and pretty good on interstates when downshifted. Mileage depends on the number and frequency of stops: 32-40 in town, 45-52 on secondary roads and close to 50 on interstates. All with dynamic driving. Excellent radio and cell bluetooth integration. Large cargo volume with non-crushing hinges. Quiet engine except for occasional louder turbocharger heard on quiet surfaces.

Thinking of buying a VW?
By atlantamark on 03/22/13 10:03 AM (PDT)

Well 700 characters is hard. here are excerpts: After years of owning Toyota’s and Honda’s I was ready to purchase a new car. Bought 2010 VW Tdi with 39,700 miles. After purchase found out with the original owner, it was in for repairs (not maintenance) at the following mileages: 1916, 12258, 14062, 21409, 23772, 33602, 35413, 39361, 39426, 39554. Note how soon after that last repair visit the previous owners sold it. I now have 59k on it and has been in the shop 6 times in 11 months. nav/radio replaced, heating/cooling control panel replaced, broke down with engine issues, seat heater replaced, etc etc etc.,

50,000 mile review for 2010 TDI
By amyalternate on 10/27/12 14:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've owned the TDI for 50,000 miles and I have had no problems. The car gets better than 42 mpg's as I drive between 55 and 60. I bought my car on July 30th, the last day of the government $1,200 tax rebate scheme, and the car was manufactured in May, so any early production bugs were probably all worked out. I want to keep the car for another 200,000 miles, let us see how that goes.

Never Again
By das_junk on 07/25/12 09:00 AM (PDT)

My 2010 VW Jetta TDI sportwagen was fine for the first 4 thousand miles then it has been nothing short of a nightmare. In 2.5 years this TDI has been in the shop over 80 days for check engine and service now (glow plug flashing) at this point the car just quits when it feels like it. Parts, parts and more parts has yet keep this VW on the road. Driving down the road no warning..Quits!, make a turn and hit a pothole..Quits! Trade-in value at VW dealers is 4 to 5 thousand dollars off bluebook because of the "issue" with this car. Customer care would only offer 1 thousand dollars and refused to swap for a same year and milage VW.Make things right..guess not. Hitler's dream is my nightmare

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$109 per month*