2010 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Worst experience ever
By awfulcar1 on 08/13/14 14:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Limited Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car was nothing but trouble starting at about 4,000 miles. Had I known the Lemon Law existed, it would have qualified and I wouldn't have wasted thousands of dollars on a car that is worthless and countless repairs. I was informed by a dealership GM when I traded in my car that VW does about 70+% of their business through lease because they are known to have so many problems. Problems included radio malfunction, faulty light sensors, sunroof malfunction, lock malfunction, keyless entry malfunction, faulty fan sensor (killing the battery), faulty fuse panel, faulty ignition (burning spark plugs and very dangerous), rough starts, faulty alternator, engine stalling, and Bluetooth lawsuit.

AC garbage
By alicat2441 on 08/08/14 19:21 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Do not buy this car or any VW-they refuse to stand by their product! In 7/13 my AC completely quit. VW said I needed a new AC compressor for $1700. VW of America helped-cost brought down to $700. AC worked until 5/14 where delayed/intermittent cooling started. 6/13 VW said AC had a leak. Problem continued. Had diagnostic done today and told I need a new AC unit. The AC compressor- new 7/13- is breaking down and sending debris thru system-cost to replace $2+K. VW of A will not help to replace AC system because 93K miles on car even though new AC comp was put in 7/13.. Warranty on 7/13 work was 12 month/12K miles-17K put on car in 10 months no warranty. Go read VW forums.

Disappointing After Warranty
By trainsam on 07/15/14 12:15 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Drives great. Love the mileage. Functionality is outstanding. Carries three bikes on top, three young kids, lots of luggage. But, AC compressor replaced under warranty 14 months ago, and is out again. VW knows they have a problem with this and won't deal with it. Nearly entire fuel system replaced under warranty. Another problem VW is aware of, yet won't do a recall. Car has been in shop numerous times for fuel system and AC issues, particularly after 25,000 miles. Now has 59,000. Was hoping to get 200,000 or more with a diesel engine. Not looking good. First VW. May be my last if they don't replace this second AC compressor. Would consider VW again only if there is proof of improvement.

Great car
By bryols19 on 06/19/14 05:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I personally don't have an issue with this car. I upgraded from a 2003 vw golf 2.0 which was a great car but lacked power. I love my 2010 2.5 jetta. I have over 76,000 miles on it, car has never given me a problem. Its not the top of the line model but I'm fine the engine, powerful enough for me. **Note** there was an engine software upgrade for the gas mileage... from personal experience the car has good gas mileage but I honestly think I had better gas mileage before the software update, I was getting well over 400miles before and now after its more 350-370miles in the city. HWY I can go from VA BEACH to waterbury CT on one tank of gas. 451 miles doing 70-75mph. I'm not complaining.

Warranty issues
By chalkiez on 06/06/14 07:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I opine that Volkswagen of America (VoA) does not stand behind their warranty process. I brought my 2010 JettaWagen TDI to a VW dealer for sunroof problems, during the warranty period. It was serviced, but the problems with intermittent failure to open/close continued. Subsequently the sunroof failed, of course out of warranty now. It cost me almost $2,000 to repair. When I contacted VoA today, they denied my warranty claim. Buyer beware - if you have intermittent problems during the warranty process, you may be stuck paying for the repair later, even though you brought it to VoA''s attention. This is not right. I gave VoA multiple chances to address this issue, but they have refused.

Not happy with reliability
By evohog99 on 05/12/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2010 model Sportwagon TDI in January 2011. Last model available on clearance sale. It is the fully loaded one with the huge sunroof and all the goodies. DSG transmission. Had it 3 and half years it has 70K on in and this is the list of problems I have had. Sun roof problem Injector failure Injector wire harness failure Transmission cap broke and leaked tranny fluid out. Now the AC went out this weekend The transmission is extremely expensive to do regular maintenance on. I would only recommend a stick shift to anyone buying a VW TDI.

Import Quality Without Import Price
By kjfpottery on 03/31/14 15:26 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We fell in love with the Jetta's solid build and peppy drivetrain during the test drive. Purchased at 37,000 miles, we now have 100,000 with absolutely no problems. We maintain it well and expect to enjoy this car for another 100,000 miles. Parts and labor could be expensive, but it is rarely needing either so it is no matter. I highly recommend the 2010 Jetta 2.5L inline 5 cylinder!

Horrible Air Conditioning
By pthurman on 02/26/14 16:38 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My AC started to fail at 40k. Took the to the dealer repeatedly. Per VW of Lafayette, LA - Standard operation of the Air condition is that it takes 8 - 10mins of drive time for the air conditioning to begin working. Eventually my AC totally failed - the compressors on these cars have known defects will produce metal which will contaminate the entire AC system. Both dealer and VW of America refuse to warranty the car. Horrible experience with this car. Btw standard oil change at the dealer is $300! Beware!

drain plug broken by VW dealer
By markp46 on 09/11/13 09:13 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I took my 2010 Jetta TDI into the dealer for the 50k oil change. They broke the drain plug. This dealer blamed both the dealer who did the 40k oil change and VW for a defective drain bolt. Neither party would accept any responsibility or offer any assistance. The shop that broke my car did offer 50% towards the $600 repair bill as they needed to replace the oil pan. VW after doing nothing did ask me if I was satisfied with their service. Dear VW I'm not satisfied and I will never purchase another VW product. Avoid VW. If they will not help on a minor issue that had nothing to do with wear or abuse do not expect VW to step and help if something major goes wrong.

Reliable, strong, economical
By tdi10 on 08/07/13 09:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

No problems in 36k+ miles. Drives like glued to a road. Great city acceleration or when lights turn green, and pretty good on interstates when downshifted. Mileage depends on the number and frequency of stops: 32-40 in town, 45-52 on secondary roads and close to 50 on interstates. All with dynamic driving. Excellent radio and cell bluetooth integration. Large cargo volume with non-crushing hinges. Quiet engine except for occasional louder turbocharger heard on quiet surfaces.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$135 per month*