2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: What a Change from My '05 Cadi

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

SportWagen TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

What a Change from My '05 Cadillac STS!
By Rick Williams on

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought this car in PA and drove it home to SC. I took secondary roads all the way home to make sure it got broken in properly and I still got 43 MPG. I am very happy with the comfort, fit and finish, and fuel economy and I love the DSG. I can barely feel it shift. The car drives firmer than my old Caddy but in a good way. It just feels more solid and it's certainly as comfortable. My only concern is long term reliability since I've read about earlier generation Jettas having some significant quality issues. Only time will tell if VW has improved on the quality.

The muti-function display is great. Among other parameters it provides distance to empty, average mpg, and instantaneous mpg. It's fun experimenting with various throttle techniques and watching the instantaneous mpg display. With immediate feedback it's easy to learn how to maximize economy.

The sunroof should have a solid cover instead of the translucent cover. Needs steering wheel audio controls. Adjustable arm rest seems a bit flimsy.