The US needs more diesels like this
By Rickallen on
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I bought this car as a replacement for a hybrid that just didn't cut it for me. The VW makes up for all of the performance and comfort trade-offs of a hybrid but with little penalty to the MPG's. I actually average about the same or better with diesel than I did with the hybrid - about 39 mpg over the life. Acceleration of the line makes passing slowpokes easy and squirting in and out of stop and go traffic is a breeze since it gives you "right now" torque. My only disappointments have been some annoying rattles, an audio system that gives me headaches, and no aux in if you have the ipod adapter. Other than that, I can't complain. I think I'm spoiled for anything but diesel.
Favorite Features
Torque, seating position (I'm 6'4"), highway handling, DSG transmission, 3- blink turning signal for lane-changes (simple, yet genius), trunk size(plus it opens on struts, not goose necks that eat trunk space)
Suggested Improvements
Better cupholders, ipod control that actually lets you control the ipod (not just cycle thru your playlists), LED tail-lights and DRL's, AWD option, thicker glass, more sound insulation in floor and firewall, bring the new 7- speed DSG to the TDI.