I Am A Diesel Convert!
By Chris C. on
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I've only put 1K on the car so it's way too early to judge the reliability therefore the lower score. My wife wanted me to buy a Civic but relented to my choice of car. Unfortunately, she drove it to work last week and now she wants it for her own. The car is very comfortable to drive. I can tell it was designed to drive the freeways for long trips. You don't hear the engine at all at cruising speeds and you are at the peak torque @ 60mph. At first start up, and at a stop sign, the signature diesel sound is there but very muted compared to a bigger oil-burner. Finally, we are very pleased with the mileage. At 1K odometer, we are getting low 40's highway, around 35 mixed driving.
Favorite Features
Heated Seats, Fast shifting transmission (see improvements). Wife loves the satellite radio. Of course the fuel economy is a big winner as well!!
Suggested Improvements
The DSG shifter slips (from sport mode) past "Drive" way too easily to neutral. Also, I think it shifts ( at low speeds) about 500 RPM too early. I'm sure this is to save fuel but the sound the gears makes me think I'm starting to near the threshhold to stall the car.