2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Great engine, great mileage...

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

Great engine, great mileage...
By rickallen on

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded in a hybrid for the increased power and nominal trade-off in mileage. I love the amount of power in the diesel engine while still getting great gas mileage. Passing, accelerating, cruising, are all easy and confident maneuvers that were frenetic in the hybrid. I'm completely hooked on torque with so much available at a low rpm. I'm hoping that more companies come out with diesels to provide some good competition to this one.

Torque!!! DSG automatic gives me enough of the manual characteristics to not feel too bad about skipping the manual so my wife could drive my car. Gas mileage averages about 36 mpg since I do mostly city driving, but on the open freeway, 45mpg is easy.

Lower wind and road noise. The stereo makes my ears hurt, how about a bona fide premium stereo? iPod interface is horrible. Creaking front suspension popped up at about 5k miles, and has been in twice to be corrected. The vinyl seats don't breathe well making summer driving hot even with AC on.