2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Crown Victoria to Jetta TDI

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Crown Victoria to Jetta TDI
By Beetle Juice on

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving a Ford Crown Victoria for 18 years, it is going to take a while to get used to a smaller car where I feel and hear more of the road than I would like. The 16-inch rims and low profile tires give the car a sporty feel but I prefer the smoother ride of a large sedan. I took the Mercury Milan Hybrid on a test drive first but it was priced too high. It was smoother and quieter than the Jetta. I am impressed with the fuel efficiency after 500 miles. I am getting 34 mpg city and 47 highway while driving between 65-70 mph. When the piston rings are seated and the car is more broken in, I expect to do better.

The excellent fuel efficiency, the DSG transmission, quality construction, power windows & mirrors, decent handling, good sound system, the fold down back seat that increases trunk space, and the chrome grill is a nice touch.

The brake pedal is too far above the accelerator pedal making it more awkward to stop the car. All power seat adjustment, automatic light shut off, and a bigger steering wheel. Getting out of the car is a chore and not as easy as a larger sedan, even for an active and limber person like me.