Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

So Far So Good
By DJ

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car on July 30th in Minnesota, and drove it 350 miles over the weekend, and 900 miles back to Colorado yesterday. I'm coming off of a BWM 328xi lease, so this is a step back in many ways, but BMW is too expensive right now. They wanted $30k for a buyout! For less than $19k, so far I'm feeling really good. I got Black, and I like the exterior styling. With tinted windows, it's a sharp car. I also like the tan leatherette interior - nice contrast to the Black. The quality of the cabin is excellent. Performance is pretty darn close to my 328xi from 0 to about 40, but then it lags the BMW. And I miss 6 speeds. Overall, a solid car, but will it go in the snow?

Favorite Features

Styling; performance; cabin quality; good entertainment center

Suggested Improvements

How about a AWD Jetta?? Will FWD and traction control be OK in a Colorado winter?

A Lot of Car for the Money
By JoeGo

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Great car. Traded in a Subaru Impreza which I liked but the VW is in a different league. More like a BMW or Audi. The car is almost perfect, just a few minor details such as the sunroof dial should be illuminated, everything else in the car is and at night you can't see where the dial is pointing.

Favorite Features

Leatherette interior, radio, red interior lights, huge trunk

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel controls, lighted sunroof dial, smoother gas pedal feel, higher rpm shift from 1st to 2nd, better documentation of the radio

2.0t Wolfsburg Jetta 09
By Mario D

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great Car for the money. Paid 23,000.00 feels like the 08 Audi A4 I test drove. Same engine but costs 10-15 grand less. Excellent build quality and fit and finish. Handles better and more solid then Japanese competition.

Favorite Features

2.0T engine, dsg transmission,fit an finish and handling.

Suggested Improvements

steering wheel controls,trip computer

FUN CAR!!
By keithk75

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The car is a great car for the money! It is also a great car to throw around, handles like a dream. I went to the VW dealer with the intend of buying a used A4. So far I'm not regretting the decision to by a new Jetta when it comes time to make the monthly payment. I would think the gas mileage for this size of car should be better. But the gas mileage is coming in as advertised (plus its too much fun driving this car with a heavy foot).

Favorite Features

Launch control on a remote road, close ratio transmission, engine hp/torque for 4 cylinder, handles like its on rails.

Suggested Improvements

I would think German engineers would take into account the in-cabin wind buffering when the sunroof is rolled back, the windows are closed and the car is moving around 30 mph. Only way to solve this issue is to open a side window or two. The VW wind deflector nor re-positioning the sunroof solves.

Very Safe
By Lauren

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So I bought this car in April and just got it back the other day after it being fixed for a month. At the end of May I was on the Interstate and hit a deer in the left lane...Airbags went off and I spun into the middle lane because the deer hit me from the side/quarterpanel. The airbags didn't hurt me. I was fine, and I was lucky, but I think this car kept me safe because it pretty much crunched in to absorb all the impact. I was sad to see my brand new car smashed up but I was OK, and now it's fixed so it doesn't matter. I had a Jetta when I was 17 and got into an accident with that too. They are built to keep you safe.

Favorite Features

The POWER unlike my civic. I can finally not ride in the right lane going 50 trying to get up to the mountains. And I love the interior, the leatherette seems really classy. The sound system is sooo good.

Suggested Improvements

The hood seems like it may be too sloped if a deer were to hit you head center.