2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 8

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2009 TDI
By H on 07/16/09 04:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Drive nearly 30k miles/year. 6 speed makes this car fun to drive. unless you spend a lot of time in traffic, I would suggest no buying DSG. Tried the DSG, but felt like it hesitated slightly from a stop. Good ergonomics. Simple interior yet comfortable and inviting. Great for running errands or long trips. Fold down seats give it versatility for skiing, etc. Average 47-50 mpg highway and nearly 40 combined.

awsome, fun, ecomonical
By Leard Huggins on 07/12/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We bought it to replace my wife's 1999 Olds Cutlass with 51,000 miles bought new from the same dealer 10 years go. We compared it to the Prius and the VW SportWagonTDI won. We just finished our 1st long trip (800 miles) in it and are totally satisfied. Keep in mind my car is a 2004 GMC Denali all wheel drive and loaded. I am 6'7" tall and 280 lbs the VW has plenty of room. It has as much head room as my Denali. We averaged 33.6 MPG calculated from gas tickets after driving 80-90 mph on Interstate and 4o-60 MPH on two lane roads from Savannah to Apacatchacola. It is not even broken in yet and the mpg is impressive.

My best car ever
By DD on 07/12/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The '09 Jetta diesel is powerful, economical, safe, and well-built. Forget the EPA rating, you'll get 40-45 MPG driving sensibly. Just note it is not a car for short-commute city drivers; stop-and-go and short commutes where the engine never warms up will cream your mileage (though you should still see mid-to-high 30s). This is a full-sized powerful sedan that handles like a luxury car but gives the same or better fuel economy than toy cars such as the 'Smart' or any hybrid you care to name. Do yourself a favor and test-drive it.

New Salsa Red Sedan
By JerryI on 07/09/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had to take back to dealer after 450 miles when engine light came on. Oxygen sensor needed to be replaced. First non-Japanese car so I'm hoping reliability isn't too much of an issue. Purchased for gas mileage, sporty nature and uniqueness, durability of diesel engine. I drive many highway miles. Standard radio has very tinny sound, not for listening to music. Will need to upgrade. Air conditioning is weak. Vents hardly blow out much cold air. No complaints about the ride, acceleration or gas mileage. Feels solid and looks good.

First Impression
By TennC on 07/04/09 09:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am still breaking in the car with only 120 miles driven. I am impressed by the engine and DSG transmission. Very smooth shifts while accelerating, and seems to find the correct gear for each situation. However,at very low speeds there is too much engine braking due to no fluid coupling so some small amount of lurching is sensed. The interior is very attractive and seems well made. The only complaint thus far is the front seats which are too hard. I hear this is a German car trait, but this doesn't impress my behind.

Great Alternative to Hybrid
By DaveN on 06/30/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Good handling and really fun to drive. Torque is excellent. Small problems like rubber seal on door is coming off and rear passenger light switch pops open. Have to take it back to dealer for these repairs. Great miles and feels like a more expensive car, very roomy. Wish it was more aerodynamic. Got the car in white and all bugs splatter all over hood, fender and windows.

Love my TDI with DSG
By Miles on 06/30/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my '09 Jetta TDI sedan in January and I just passed 10K miles a few weeks ago. Recently took it in for the FREE 10K service, which is a nice plus, as the '09 comes with 36K no charge service. So far I love it! The ride is smooth, somewhat tight, and very easy to handle. Acceleration is phenomenal considering the mpg. The diesel is quiet but has a nice exhaust note when pushed. Fit and finish are near perfect. The seats are very comfortable but not soft and cushy. The dash is clean and un-cluttered. Plenty of room for even the tallest drivers, but a smallish back seat. The trunk is decent size and pass through storage is handy.

Good Travel Buddy
By Steelpanwoman on 06/24/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have put almost 12,000 miles on this car and have enjoyed it with one exception. . They actually found out that this car, being one of the first manual TDI wagons, was running too clean and choking itself. It behaved much better after the EGR valve replacement. Fussy clutch in 1st until it was broken in. It likes to hiccup after startup during the first minute the engine is warm.(Part of EGR software issue) A software upgrade was performed last week, but still have the problem. I drive aggressively and get 32 MPG around town,36 HWY. Drove 525.5 miles on one tank road trip and got 41.2 MPG . A great highway cruiser and fun to drive.

What a Car
By Ken on 06/20/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

With just 8000 miles on the car and two recent long trips. The mileage continues to improve. 42 to 44 combined with the AC running. 6 speed manual transmission and engine are smooth, plenty of power. A round trip of 800 miles each way average speed 70 mph. Cost less than $87 in fuel costs. Nearly 640 miles per tank full (14 gal). Car is comfortable, and responsive. Loaded with extras, like the 120 volt AC outlet. This is standard on this car. Very quiet, smooth ride. A car you feel safe in. Plenty of space in the trunk. Needs to be driven before you spend your money on a trendy Hybrid. How long will there batteries last? And how much will they cost to replace?

Buy yourself a TDI
By Mike on 06/13/09 16:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is one well made machine. Handles like its on rails. Great lines and its a TDI to boot. I can now thumb my nose at the gas pumps.