Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2009 Jetta TDI improved and unimproved
By samd

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My 09 Jetta TDI has comfort and speed. There are key flaws: engine stalls frequently at low rpm, unlike the more robust 98 TDI; brakes ice over in snow make for a choppy first stop; electric motor fan noise is so loud can't ride with windows down in summer; cab fogs up bad circulation; engine annoying whistle when it is turned off; fuel gage lies half full means 2/3 empty; radio is only tuned for hip-hop missing freqs for classical and rock; radio has no amp for ipod sucks ipod battery dry; ipod connection has no shielding thus feedback noise is bad.

Drives like a race car. Excellent cargo space.

Fix those unpleasant noises and low speed design flaws and you have one suite car.

20,000 Miles
By mowryc

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was in the market for a fuel efficient car to replace my aging Toyota. The TDI fit the bill perfectly. I average 40 MPG overall and get at least 500 miles per tank (12 gal). I love the interior of the car. It has been years since I owned a German car and I had forgotten how comfortable and ergonomic they were. Everything is logically placed and within easy reach. I have always disliked automatic climate control and the Jetta allows me get the system exactly were I want it (fan, hot/cold, floor/panel). After this, I will never own another Japanese vehicle :)

Firm seats, torquey motor, manual six- speed, and the firm heated seats. The 3 year / 36,000 mile free maintenance and the wonderful service staff are a bonus.

My only gripe is that the A/C decided to quit in the middle of summer. However, the service staff was great and fixed the unit under warranty quickly. It is ice cold now.

Great car
By cdivertdi

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Well, I'm 15,000 miles into my TDI. I traded a Mazdaspeed6, that I absolutely loved, but could no longer live with with 20 mpg, for the Jetta TDI. The Jetta is a different animal, with both pro's and con's as compared to the Speed6. The only downside is the loss of the raw performance of the Speed6. The Jetta has lived up to my expectations, and the fuel economy has been above expectations! My only complaint in the quality of the speakers, and if Santa comes thru, will be resolved this Xmas! In terms of millage, we just finished a round trip from the NC Triad to Atlanta, with 600+ pounds between passengers and a very full trunk, running 78 to 85 mph with 43 mpg. What a deal,love my Jetta TDI

Head unit / Serius MPG Everything else

Speakers Better anti sway bars

Great car!!
By Jay in Dallas

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I had never owned a front wheel drive, or a diesel or a Volkswagen. I'm sold! The 6-speed manual shifts very smoothly and the engine has plenty of torque. It handles great - not much torque steer. I'm 6'4" and am very comfortable on longer trips - even with the sunroof I have plenty of headroom. Huge trunk. The fit and finish couldn't be better. The safety features were a real selling point too. All that and 40 mpg. A lot of car for the money!

Torque, 6-speed manual, handling, interior and trunk room.

Work on the torque steer.

NIGHTMARE
By Mike/Linda

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Water in tank in aug. "flushed" at dealer. Air compressor bad/replaced in sept/20,000 check. Car died on road. Towed. Fuel system needs replacing due to aug problem:$6500 in parts excludes labor. Progressive only replaced parts 1 at a time. "ok" per dealer. No power 1st day used. Turbo now bad/replaced under warranty. Diagnostics done at dealer couldn't be interpreted. Had to call corporate! Fuel sys warranty void now. Dealer wants to replace fuel sys even new parts. Ins. Co. Says no totals car. We are out $2500. Paid cash for new car for 1st time. Car not used from sept 22 to nov 10 (minus 1 day on road) when we received check from progressive. Worst car experience ever. First and last VW.

It was fun to drive.

Fuel filter that stops car if contaminants in fuel prior to damage. Give dealers better diagnostics prior to selling a product.