Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good car, but bad reliability, warranty
By Carlo Mirak

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have had this car for one year, and put 40,000 miles on it. The radio stopped working several weeks ago and a radio should not stop working after only 12 months. My warranty was up at this time because I am at 40,000 mi. And was told that it would cost me $980 not including tax and labor! I called the 1-800 number and was transferred to a "customer advocate" to hear my problem. I explained to them that if it was a moving part in the vehicle I would understand but this was outrageous to pay for something like the radio which should last longer than one year. I love german cars, however I am never going back to a volkswagen. No wonder they have 200 complaints out of every 1000 cars sold.

update........
By resipsa

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have now had the car for approximately 10 months, just under 15K kilometres. So far, no problems, though it did need the DSG transmission flash. Warranty on trans. extended by VW as well. I look forward to driving it daily. Has plenty of grunt and hugs the corners like it's on a rail. It just feels pleasant to drive, very ergonomic and everything makes sense how it's situated. Good cargo capacity and has stood up to two young kids well. The diesel engine is a pleasure and the mileage, as far as I can gauge, is great. It's parked outside during the day and has never failed to start in a Calgary winter. Would gladly purchase again.

Diesel engine, everything just feels "tight" and well built, driving performance and handling, well thought out layout and ergonomics

Best for the planet and pocketbook!
By PZeiger

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I'm acquainted with diesel because the last time I visted my relatives in Austria, they picked me up in a Audi A6 diesel. I previously owned a second generation VW Scirocco in the 80's and although I loved the car physically, it was a mechanical nightmare. Eventually got 140K on it but with two transmissions! This TDI is an unbelievable car! Everything is well thought out and superb quality. VW's attention to detail is unmatched. Little things like the back of the seat belt fastener has velvet backing on it so it doesn't scratch or make noise! The interior of the glove box is velvet lined like a jewelry box. The drive is true German, sporty, responsive, crisp, and joyous!

Awesome acceleration and handling, high quality interior and materials, great SAT radio and speakers, cavernous trunk, oversized VW emblems, mirror turn signals.

Auto headlight turn off/alarm when car is turned off, more storage areas, and rework child safety locking on back doors. When you're in a hurry trying to open the back doors you always have to hit fob again. Makes you crazy!

One-year update on Jetta TDI
By PaulTD

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 16 months, 22,000 miles. Paint is very soft, hood has numerous chips. Idiot dealer response-"do you drive a lot on the freeway?". Rear brakes overheat frequently, 50% worn with front brakes virtually unused. Idiot dealer response-"that's the way the car is designed". Just received notice from Volkswagen of possible premature wear in transmission, along with extension of the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles, but apparently only on the particular part that is wearing out prematurely. Steering requires more effort than I would like. Seats well shaped but hard. Cost of diesel consistently $.30 higher than gasoline. Good points: excellent fuel mileage (38 average, up to 54 On

Fuel mileage, handling, turbo boost, styling, interior quality, satellite radio.

Tougher paint, easier steering, softer seats, dealers who don't employ idiots, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

The US needs more diesels like this
By Rickallen

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car as a replacement for a hybrid that just didn't cut it for me. The VW makes up for all of the performance and comfort trade-offs of a hybrid but with little penalty to the MPG's. I actually average about the same or better with diesel than I did with the hybrid - about 39 mpg over the life. Acceleration of the line makes passing slowpokes easy and squirting in and out of stop and go traffic is a breeze since it gives you "right now" torque. My only disappointments have been some annoying rattles, an audio system that gives me headaches, and no aux in if you have the ipod adapter. Other than that, I can't complain. I think I'm spoiled for anything but diesel.

Torque, seating position (I'm 6'4"), highway handling, DSG transmission, 3- blink turning signal for lane-changes (simple, yet genius), trunk size(plus it opens on struts, not goose necks that eat trunk space)

Better cupholders, ipod control that actually lets you control the ipod (not just cycle thru your playlists), LED tail-lights and DRL's, AWD option, thicker glass, more sound insulation in floor and firewall, bring the new 7- speed DSG to the TDI.