2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
reported to nhtsa
By Jmbcorex on 08/07/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Terrible problems with the transmission...shifted from park to reverse...depress brake pedal light came on, and gear indicator light (prnds) started flashing and car slipped into neutral, but re- engaged...lurched backward and almost hit pasng car...then next night...driving 50 mph in drive...car jumped to neutral, engine raced to redline... gear shift indicator light started flashing and depress brake pedal light before starting light came on...almost got rear-ended by car behind me. Dealer said i have to have transmission torn apart and some type of sensor replaced...done research...found this problem exists, along with flywheel and mechatronic module...sent report to NHTSA...

DSG trans slippage?I
By mark on 08/01/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

light purchased car april 09,and really like the gas mileage esp. in town. Having problem with the DSG trans. slipping when on an incline. The trans. slips to neutral and the car starts to roll backwards for a few feet and then engages.Talked with dealer today and he said that was because the trans. goes to neutral at a stop. Offered no fix except possible software upgrade. Was wondering if any one else had same problem and what the fix was? Also added on a dimming mirror with homelink. This should be an option on sportwagon.

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil on 08/01/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

A lot to like
By Mike on 07/30/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta in general closely approximates an entry level luxury sedan while being priced closer to more basic sedans. The TDI drive train provides tremendous performance with exceptional mileage (40+ mpg is easily obtained driving gently). At idle it sounds different than a gasoline engine but not objectionable. There is no diesel smell. Its acceleration and responsiveness are impressive. The trunk is large and easily accessible with a pass through for long objects. The cabin is comfortable for four. This car deserves to be very popular. I see no good reasons not to consider it if looking for a mid sized sedan.

A Win-Win Situation
By WC4NC on 07/23/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

Like everyone else, fuel economy is in everyones mind. Driving a BMW 525 70 miles per day to work was getting expensive. Much shopping/research went on and the VW TDI SportWagen was the Ace of Hearts that we were looking for so the BMW went bye-bye. I look forward to driving this car everyday and thank God I was lucky enough to find one on the lot on my first visit to the VW dealer.

Finally A Car I Love
By JLA on 07/22/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

Just picked up my Jetta TDI Sportswagon last week and so far I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles great, the turbo is a real kick. Perfect size after driving mini-vans for the last 19 years. Plenty of cargo area in the back, seats are comfortable. A/C works great and cools down the car within a couple of minutes. So far I'm still on my first tank of gas but at 175 miles I've only used a quarter of a tank of gas. Nice to finally have a car I look forward to driving.

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm on 07/22/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

2009 TDI
By H on 07/16/09 04:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Drive nearly 30k miles/year. 6 speed makes this car fun to drive. unless you spend a lot of time in traffic, I would suggest no buying DSG. Tried the DSG, but felt like it hesitated slightly from a stop. Good ergonomics. Simple interior yet comfortable and inviting. Great for running errands or long trips. Fold down seats give it versatility for skiing, etc. Average 47-50 mpg highway and nearly 40 combined.

awsome, fun, ecomonical
By Leard Huggins on 07/12/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

We bought it to replace my wife's 1999 Olds Cutlass with 51,000 miles bought new from the same dealer 10 years go. We compared it to the Prius and the VW SportWagonTDI won. We just finished our 1st long trip (800 miles) in it and are totally satisfied. Keep in mind my car is a 2004 GMC Denali all wheel drive and loaded. I am 6'7" tall and 280 lbs the VW has plenty of room. It has as much head room as my Denali. We averaged 33.6 MPG calculated from gas tickets after driving 80-90 mph on Interstate and 4o-60 MPH on two lane roads from Savannah to Apacatchacola. It is not even broken in yet and the mpg is impressive.

My best car ever
By DD on 07/12/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The '09 Jetta diesel is powerful, economical, safe, and well-built. Forget the EPA rating, you'll get 40-45 MPG driving sensibly. Just note it is not a car for short-commute city drivers; stop-and-go and short commutes where the engine never warms up will cream your mileage (though you should still see mid-to-high 30s). This is a full-sized powerful sedan that handles like a luxury car but gives the same or better fuel economy than toy cars such as the 'Smart' or any hybrid you care to name. Do yourself a favor and test-drive it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in WA is:

$156 per month*