2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 7

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing on 08/12/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

First Diesel
By WisconsinOutdoors on 08/11/09 05:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first Diesel car. Like anyone who is considering the GAS vs. DIESEL debate we read so many online articles that we eventually got a headache. First Impression - We now have 700 miles on the car and on a 80 mile highway trip I averaged 42 mpg - driving 60-70 mph. Driving 75 or higher mpg dropped slightly. I have not been able to judge the city mileage yet. For anyone that is considering one best advice - test drive one. Great handling, good features, low road noise, and European design. Until I have to fill up I don't even realize I am driving a diesel. If diesel prices stay were they have been for my last three top offs it should pay for itself very quickly. You get what you pay 4

notified NHTSA.
By jmbcorex on 08/07/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought 2009 Jetta TDI. At 720 miles had a severe problem with the transmission. In park, with engine running shifted into reverse...trans acted like it was in neutral engine raced, shift indicator lights started blinking, depress brake pedal before starting light came on, and car went into reverse and lurched backwards almost hitting other car...next nite,10pm 50 miles per hour, engine goes into neutral even with gear in drive, gear light blinking brake pedal light on simultaneously.just like ex. above. Almost got rear ended. had car for less than week...now told need a transmission tear down and evaluation of all sensors. I want my car replaced with a new one!!!

reported to nhtsa
By Jmbcorex on 08/07/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Terrible problems with the transmission...shifted from park to reverse...depress brake pedal light came on, and gear indicator light (prnds) started flashing and car slipped into neutral, but re- engaged...lurched backward and almost hit pasng car...then next night...driving 50 mph in drive...car jumped to neutral, engine raced to redline... gear shift indicator light started flashing and depress brake pedal light before starting light came on...almost got rear-ended by car behind me. Dealer said i have to have transmission torn apart and some type of sensor replaced...done research...found this problem exists, along with flywheel and mechatronic module...sent report to NHTSA...

DSG trans slippage?I
By mark on 08/01/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

light purchased car april 09,and really like the gas mileage esp. in town. Having problem with the DSG trans. slipping when on an incline. The trans. slips to neutral and the car starts to roll backwards for a few feet and then engages.Talked with dealer today and he said that was because the trans. goes to neutral at a stop. Offered no fix except possible software upgrade. Was wondering if any one else had same problem and what the fix was? Also added on a dimming mirror with homelink. This should be an option on sportwagon.

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil on 08/01/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

A lot to like
By Mike on 07/30/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta in general closely approximates an entry level luxury sedan while being priced closer to more basic sedans. The TDI drive train provides tremendous performance with exceptional mileage (40+ mpg is easily obtained driving gently). At idle it sounds different than a gasoline engine but not objectionable. There is no diesel smell. Its acceleration and responsiveness are impressive. The trunk is large and easily accessible with a pass through for long objects. The cabin is comfortable for four. This car deserves to be very popular. I see no good reasons not to consider it if looking for a mid sized sedan.

A Win-Win Situation
By WC4NC on 07/23/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

Like everyone else, fuel economy is in everyones mind. Driving a BMW 525 70 miles per day to work was getting expensive. Much shopping/research went on and the VW TDI SportWagen was the Ace of Hearts that we were looking for so the BMW went bye-bye. I look forward to driving this car everyday and thank God I was lucky enough to find one on the lot on my first visit to the VW dealer.

Finally A Car I Love
By JLA on 07/22/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

Just picked up my Jetta TDI Sportswagon last week and so far I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles great, the turbo is a real kick. Perfect size after driving mini-vans for the last 19 years. Plenty of cargo area in the back, seats are comfortable. A/C works great and cools down the car within a couple of minutes. So far I'm still on my first tank of gas but at 175 miles I've only used a quarter of a tank of gas. Nice to finally have a car I look forward to driving.

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm on 07/22/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient