Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Solid Performer
By jetta_power

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I leased a 2009 Jetta SE. Overall, this is a solid compact sedan. For the price paid, the car comes loaded with a lot of options, such as express windows up and down, heated seats, power seats, and a very plush leatherette interior. The interior is without a doubt the high point of the Jetta. It makes me feel like I'm in a more expensive car. The ride is compliant and sound. It is firm yet supple. Power is good, not great, but brake performance is no better than average. Fuel economy is decent, but I feel it should be better. If I'm easy on the engine, I can get 26- 27 MPG. Overally, I really like the Jetta and have no regrets so far. It's been reliable at 2K miles. VW has style and uniquenes

ride, premium feel, interior design, fit & finish, exterior design, kicking sounds system, trunk space

brake performance, fuel economy could be better, no steering wheel audio controls, plastic chrome exterior front trim

Time to Update
By srduncan31

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July 2009 and thought I loved it. Now I regret purchasing this car. Has been in the shop multiple times. Was making a noise in the front end. Said it was sway bar bushings. Replaced. Noise still existed. Dealership had no clue. Turns out, was a "secret" recall on coil springs for the first 50000 manufactured. Noise gone but steering doesn't seem the same. Constantly feels as if you are in a wind storm driving over 60. Again dealership has no clue and said is fine. Fuel economy is not the best either. I should have spent the money and gotten the transmission fixed on my Explorer. Doubtful I will keep this car much longer. No longer happy with it and only 3900 miles!

Better informed dealers and technicians

Great car in the city
By Eveland

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great car if you drive mostly in town. It's not a comfortable car for long trips though. The suspension is tight and there is a lot of road and air noise. I prefer to drive my older car when I do any interstate driving. If you drive mostly in town you won't run into this problem and it's a very fun car to drive. For the money, it's a great deal.

Quick acceleration, heated seats, electric steering, and a good car for the money.

Automatic headlights & less road noise

Suspension Noise Driving me crazy
By valerie

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought new 2009 Jetta SE in Jan 09. Once weather got warmer, noises started (creaking, squeaking) when any pressure applied to the suspension, on turns, bumps, breaking. Five dealer service calls and problem still exists. They have replaced front lower control arm bushings, twice, sway bar assembly, front lower control arms, and problem remains. Poor service from Volkswagen Customer Care and the dealer. The car has been in service for 22 days, each time they acknowledge the problem, but do not seem to take it very seriously, send it back with problem not resolved. I am very disappointed, as I think I am stuck with a lemon. Will never buy from Volkswagen again. Jetta QC must be poor.

Volkswagen Customer Care, which is supposed to help with dealer problems, is poorly run. Calls get dropped, the representative states she doesn't understand when 'things get technical', they do not communicate with the dealer, and are slow to respond.

Great car!
By Joe

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The most bang for your buck of any car on the market. I have the 2008 Wolfsburg, 2.0T and I'm getting an AVERAGE of 29.5 MPG over the least 10 - 15 tanks. I've never had one under 27 and my last tank was 31. I also think it has a perfectly tuned transmission - I never feel like I need to be in manual mode. Bottom line: great car.