Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Back to Volkswagen
By James Coombes

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Owned very reliable Camry for years, but decided to try VW again after many years. I couldn't be much more pleased. I love this car. It's fun to drive (Camry was boring) and I average 39 mpg in mostly urban/suburban driving. Yeah, my iPod adapter is a joke, but they updated it on the 2010s. DSG works great for me, though it does feel a bit different than a standard automatics. You can easily adjust to it. My biggest decision was 16" or 17" wheels. 16" ride better over expansion joints. 17" handle better in tight curves. I wish I had both! So far my TDI is a great car. My local dealer is excellent too.

Diesel engine, steering, seats, handling, overall size.

2009 iPod adaptor is a literal joke. Import 170 hp, 258 fp TDI engine, though current 236 fp US version ain't too shabby. Bring on the GTD. I'll buy!

Loved my Car!!
By Nikki

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We purchased this car because we were looking for something that got really good gas mileage but wasn't a hybrid. Ended up getting 32 average mpg city. Just recently got in a car accident and it held up well. No one was seriously injured when our Jetta rearended car in front of it at about 40 mph. I loved this car!

Speed, handling, mpg

Need a charger plug for the back seats, would like a litter more room in the back, have two car seats back there and it is hard to squeeze a thrid person in

Good car, but bad reliability, warranty
By Carlo Mirak

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have had this car for one year, and put 40,000 miles on it. The radio stopped working several weeks ago and a radio should not stop working after only 12 months. My warranty was up at this time because I am at 40,000 mi. And was told that it would cost me $980 not including tax and labor! I called the 1-800 number and was transferred to a "customer advocate" to hear my problem. I explained to them that if it was a moving part in the vehicle I would understand but this was outrageous to pay for something like the radio which should last longer than one year. I love german cars, however I am never going back to a volkswagen. No wonder they have 200 complaints out of every 1000 cars sold.

update........
By resipsa

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have now had the car for approximately 10 months, just under 15K kilometres. So far, no problems, though it did need the DSG transmission flash. Warranty on trans. extended by VW as well. I look forward to driving it daily. Has plenty of grunt and hugs the corners like it's on a rail. It just feels pleasant to drive, very ergonomic and everything makes sense how it's situated. Good cargo capacity and has stood up to two young kids well. The diesel engine is a pleasure and the mileage, as far as I can gauge, is great. It's parked outside during the day and has never failed to start in a Calgary winter. Would gladly purchase again.

Diesel engine, everything just feels "tight" and well built, driving performance and handling, well thought out layout and ergonomics

Best for the planet and pocketbook!
By PZeiger

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I'm acquainted with diesel because the last time I visted my relatives in Austria, they picked me up in a Audi A6 diesel. I previously owned a second generation VW Scirocco in the 80's and although I loved the car physically, it was a mechanical nightmare. Eventually got 140K on it but with two transmissions! This TDI is an unbelievable car! Everything is well thought out and superb quality. VW's attention to detail is unmatched. Little things like the back of the seat belt fastener has velvet backing on it so it doesn't scratch or make noise! The interior of the glove box is velvet lined like a jewelry box. The drive is true German, sporty, responsive, crisp, and joyous!

Awesome acceleration and handling, high quality interior and materials, great SAT radio and speakers, cavernous trunk, oversized VW emblems, mirror turn signals.

Auto headlight turn off/alarm when car is turned off, more storage areas, and rework child safety locking on back doors. When you're in a hurry trying to open the back doors you always have to hit fob again. Makes you crazy!