2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Still great
By Noel on 09/08/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have exceeded 16K Miles in less than a year so the engine is till in break in mode, as you may know diesel engines are made of much harder metal in relation to a gasoline engines. Returned from a trip to the Bay Area over the weekend. By the way this is the wife's car i only get to enjoy it on weekends or long trips as i get the behind the wheel assignment. The car feels strong and solid as the day we brought it home, driving a manual on hilly San Francisco can be a bit intimidating but not in this car as engine and tranny are well calibrated, in fact our kid did comment that it was better than the amusement park rides.

Not your typical diesel
By Mccrazy on 09/07/09 15:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Coming from a Legacy GT I was worried that the power wouldn't be there. However mated with the 6 speed manual it is plenty of zip and performs just fine in the mountains near Denver. The 1 regret is the gearing on the vehicle for higher speed driving. For customers that need to avg. 80 mph you won't get the typical 42 mpg I have been calculating. The best mpg - avg speed hovers around 60 - 63 mph which correlates to 50 mpg. Overall I am happy so far, 6,600 miles in the fuel costs are excellent and always try to get 600 miles to the tank. Pricing makes it hard to say no and the gov. incentives are nice. The only problem I foresee is taking it in for service, I've heard horror stories.

MPG 45/55
By brother_unknown on 08/30/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Fuel economy is 45mpg on an 18 mile rt commute in traffic. All the comfort features we've wanted for years including bun warmers. Ample seating room front and back. Our next car will also be a Jetta TDI

TDI SportWagen is Amazing
By bam on 08/29/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I now had my 2009 TDI Wagon a full year now and have 15k on it, so I thought I would share my experience. The car has been flawless and has had no service issues at all. Mileage has been great at mid 40's on the hwy and mid 30's in the city. If you are going 65mph cruising it will get over 50mpg. My usual tank avg. is 38-40mpg with 2/3 hwy miles. The car is fun to drive especially with the 6spd. manual. Started right up in 30 below zero overnight weather last winter, no problems at all.

Crown Victoria to Jetta TDI
By Beetle Juice on 08/26/09 22:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving a Ford Crown Victoria for 18 years, it is going to take a while to get used to a smaller car where I feel and hear more of the road than I would like. The 16-inch rims and low profile tires give the car a sporty feel but I prefer the smoother ride of a large sedan. I took the Mercury Milan Hybrid on a test drive first but it was priced too high. It was smoother and quieter than the Jetta. I am impressed with the fuel efficiency after 500 miles. I am getting 34 mpg city and 47 highway while driving between 65-70 mph. When the piston rings are seated and the car is more broken in, I expect to do better.

great car
By judy on 08/26/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far so good . I don't know the reliability yet because it's new.But I have to choose it to complete the review!I like it more than BMW because VW is quieter.

Economical yet Fun
By Mike on 08/18/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the six speed manual in July and have put about 1200 miles on it so far. Got 41.5 mpg for the first 500 miles and 43 mpg for the second 500 miles (mostly highway but some stop and go). The car handles great and has good acceleration. I traded in my 2003 Passat and this car is almost as big as my Passat was. Not as luxurious as the Passat, but I didn't want to spend the extra money and I wanted the high gas mileage. Unlike a couple of the other reviewers, my air conditioning has been great (live near DC and it has been hot recently). Looks sharp - good head turning quotient.

Near-hybrid economy, but fun to drive
By Cornfieldcraig on 08/17/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I had been driving a 99.5 Jetta TDI with 180k miles before buying this car. It had been quite reliable and is still running well, but I was ready for a new car. Cheapskate that I am, I put $500 down on a 2010 Prius which wasn't yet in the dealerships. I finally had a chance to drive the Prius and was moderately disappointed, so I went 10 minutes down the road and test drove the 2009 Jetta TDI. The driving experience was simply night and day. I expect that the Prius would have been more trouble-free and about the same cost per mile as the Jetta, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Prius. The new TDI is SO smooth, powerful, quiet, and clean- smelling. I just wish the mpg was better.

What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing on 08/12/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

First Diesel
By WisconsinOutdoors on 08/11/09 05:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first Diesel car. Like anyone who is considering the GAS vs. DIESEL debate we read so many online articles that we eventually got a headache. First Impression - We now have 700 miles on the car and on a 80 mile highway trip I averaged 42 mpg - driving 60-70 mph. Driving 75 or higher mpg dropped slightly. I have not been able to judge the city mileage yet. For anyone that is considering one best advice - test drive one. Great handling, good features, low road noise, and European design. Until I have to fill up I don't even realize I am driving a diesel. If diesel prices stay were they have been for my last three top offs it should pay for itself very quickly. You get what you pay 4

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*