2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Bad Lock Modules
By peanutmm on 06/29/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am now having to have a second doors lock module and possibly latch replaced. The right side went out and was replaced 6 months ago and now the left rear passenger side went out and ahs to be replaced. Problem is warranty is out because of high miles I drive. car is only a year and half old. Overall, a great car. Just be sure if you drive high miles to get them to promise to cover warranty issues i.e. electrical as the lock replacement is 500-1000 per door.

An Item to consider
By tenncvol on 06/26/10 17:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like my TDI very well however potential buyers need to be aware of one drawback - availability of diesel fuel. Only about one (non-truck stop) station in five has a diesel pump, and it is often off to the side and not under a canopy so larger vehicles can access it. The fuel filler nozzle is frequently too large for the TDI's small opening (Why VW?) requiring holding the nozzle and slowly filling enough to get to a better pump. Could not recommended this car unless you are willing to endure this inconvenience

Great TDI, Best MPG out there
By RBS on 06/10/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought this car after it was made legal by Maine EPA. Hands down the best car for the money. Tried out the Prius but my soul would not let me buy such a lifeless piece of plastic. Car handles and drives great. Braking is also very responsive ( sorry Prius owners) My neighbors were blown away when they found out it was a diesel. Car has tons of room. I average 41 and if I drive like a responsible adult I can get high 40's on the highway. Nice thing is I don't have to and I still get better mileage then 99% of cars on the road. Features are adequate for the price. For those looking to buy new, I just saw the TDI CUP version and it is off the charts. Would highly recommend buying a TDI

Worth every penny!
By Nicole on 06/07/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After much research of different makes and models, which didn't include VW, I test drove one, on a whim. I was sold! It made me lose the desire to have another SUV like my Ford Escape. It had all the bells and whistles I wanted moonroof, cruise control, 6 CD changer, great gas mileage, sporty, safe and fun to drive. Not to mention, a HUGE trunk! The seats are very comfy, front and back. Even my arthritic 76 yr old dad loves the fit of the seats. For him to say that means a lot! The sport mode is fun but drains gas. Also, the manual transmission mode is a fun diversion. I'd buy again, in a heartbeat!

2009 Jetta problem vehicle
By Dave on 05/28/10 19:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Our car has been in the shop 12 times this year, and continues to have problems. VW of America offered $1500 toward a new VW, or $500 for all the service visits. The fuel system and front suspension have been rebuilt, and new problems surface daily. This is a German car built in Mexico, and is of poor quality. Also, when it runs, during moderate acceleration, the front wheels are overpowered. This causes front wheel hop that shakes the dash and prevents forward progress. The chassis can not handle the turbo engine. On the highway, the vehicle is very loud, lots of road, tire and wind noise. Another point, the dealerships Do not stock parts. pass this car up.

What a TDI, think again
By Say no to TDI on 05/14/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI in June of 2009. I put a lot of miles on cars & I have put 36875 miles on this one in less than a year. It has been in the shop 2X for engine problems. First time it wouldn't start or even try to start. Had it towed to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with it. It's in the shop now with 2 bad fuel injectors, a bad fuel pressure sensor and a clogged DPF. I told the dealer many times that it would run rough, but they said there was nothing wrong with it. Luckily I had bought the 60k mile extended warranty, it covers everything except the DPF, & it was not covered by the extended warranty or the Federal Emissions Warranty. Wish I never bought this car!

VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!
By j sansone on 04/24/10 04:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So far I seem to be very impressed with the build quality.

20K review - I love my TDI!
By Jon on 04/23/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Traded my '06 Volvo S60 in June '09 for the Jetta (due to some quality issues) and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I drive ~350 miles/week, mix of highway and city, and average appr 41 mpg w/ a fairly heavy foot. My best is 47.5 on a trip from Bham to Nashville. The TDI's torque is impressive, and the turbo spool/blowoff sounds cool too! The interior is well built (even though I had an annoying rattle in the rear C- pillar, dealership fixed on 20k maint. visit). I appreciate the modest but functional interior layout. Even the sunroof is well designed! The gearbox shifts well and engages fluidly. My only beef w/ the car is the lack of option for cloth seats and the spongy brakes.

A year and 20,000 miles later.
By Tom Cheesman on 04/13/10 10:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I still love driving this car. Handling and suspension are tight, no rattles or squeaks. Manual transmission is so much fun. Getting consistent 29-30 mpg with 80%/20% hwy/city. Going from San Diego to central California with four passengers, powered along @ 80 mph at times & car stayed planted and steady. Around 10k service, noticed slight tapping noise in engine. Dealer replaced valve camshaft at no cost. Total maintenance cost to this point is $0.00. Dealer provides free oil changes for life! While dropping daughter's Escape off @ Ford for service, a car shopper asked about my Jetta. I ended up doing a VW sales pitch to him in the middle of Ford dealership. VW is doing it right, so far.

Love It!
By VW Jetta TDI Loyal E on 04/10/10 11:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is our 5th TDI. We started out with a 1983 Jetta Turbo Diesel - sold it with 210,000 miles and it's still on the road. We had it for 15 yrs. Next was a 1986 Turbo Diesel; sold with 270,000 miles;had it for 15 yrs and it's still on the road. Then we had a 1998 TDI, sold with 170,000 miles - still around. We now have a 2006 and a 2009 TDI and love them both. All cars were purchased brand new.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$138 per month*