Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 255 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

35k Miles
By jettaowner5

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car a month ago with 34k miles. First of all, the exterior design of this car is a beauty. The 2012 Jetta is no where near as nice as this one. In addition, the newer models have backtracked in quality to make Jettas more competitive with Japanese and Korean sedans (another reason why I went with this 2009 Jetta) This 2009 interior is great. It is top notch quality with seat heaters, auxiliary input and soft touch dashboard. I feel like I'm riding a luxury car (which I think it is). Bought it for 14k. I love this car!

Comfortable seats, auxiliary input, great traction, nice body design, great handling, not noisy on the highway, huge trunk size

Wished city gas mileage was better. Highway is excellent. 30+ mpg.

Hole on Side of Drivers Seat
By maolra

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have enjoyed te car basically. Had front suspesion problemsit was a problem apprantly all 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta had . Service Dept was great rent a car free no problem. But
I noticed a hole or abrasion at fist starting on drivers side @10k seat where seat belt comes around. Very noticable when car door is opened now. Now further stiching is is coming apart. Frame of seat pushing against side of drivers seat has created a hole the size of a mans thumb. V>W> is huh ?Calling V.W. North America as it has loded te value of car. I change my own plugs/coil and oil. Also spent the 100 bucks to get Bently manual. But I insist they replace the seat or I spend $225 for friont canvas seat covers.

2009 Jetta Wolfsburg
By brishimmel

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my Jetta.
Before I started having problems with it I swore by VW and said my future cars would be VW's.
Well in the past three weeks, that has changed.
Once my Jetta hit 25k, everything went wrong. Check engine light always comes on, it has left me stranded two times in three weeks. Both times have been the fuel pump.
The first time (3 weeks ago) the dealer said they replaced it, now I am doubting that they did. Now they are saying it is the fuel pump again.
I called roadside asst which is still under my warranty and they charged me $250+ to have it towed to my dealer where I live. Again, love my Jetta but be sure you have $$ to fix it when it goes out of warranty.

I love the way this car feels when it drives. Although, after it hit 25k I noticed a "lag" or a hesitation when it would pull out. I know it is a turbo but I had never had this problem before. I do love the interior. You can tell the leather is nice quality and I love the black/tan trim. However, I do hear a coupld rattles here and there which are annoying.

Fix the fuel system! My warranty is up in Dec & with two major things that have gone wrong in the past 3 weeks, I am definitely going to trade it in. VW roadside asst is terrible. Like I said, they charged me $250+ to have it towed to my dealer where I live. This had happened in the middle of the night & once the tow truck took my VW to my dealer at 3am, roadside said he couldn't leave it there because there was no night drop & he needed to tow it back 110 miles where the car was originally picked up. Think they would've said this when he originally came. Also wanted to charged me agian to take it back to Phx and tow it back down to Tucson on Monday.

Worst car ever driven.....
By suma120200

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car from the moment I laid eyes on it, how ever the moment my warranty expired my nightmares began.
Luckily, some of the problems started when I still had warranty.
Since I bought me car, I had to replace the septic system, I had electric system problem where my sunroof didn't open and my radio did not turn on.
Now I'm having intermittent problems with my gas cap not opening.
I looked to see if there is a manual release, but unable to locate.
I'm driven a Mazda, Toyota, and a Honda, I have never seen so many problems on a car under 35,000 miles.

I love the look of the car, the panoramic sunroof, the space , and trunk space. I also like how the car drives. If I didn't have so many issues with my car, I probably would have recommended this to all my friends and family. After my husband saw how costly the repairs were and how frequently I find my self going in for repairs, my husband went with a Nissan Versa instead.

I think the extended warranty should be more affordable and cost to maintain should be lower. I think these cars have potential and should be made to last like Hondas and Toyotas are.

So far so good...
By mdbla

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this CPO Jetta 1 month ago after owning an Audi A4 for 10 years.
The Jetta is a fun car to drive, handles great.
Manual transmissions shifts effortlessly.
The exterior styling is nice (mine is black with the chrome trim) and the interior is very nice, has a upscale feel to it.
Huge trunk!
I was hoping with the 5-sp manual I'd get the higher miles per gallon (75% freeway, 25% city) but I've been getting exactly as advertised - 26 mpg.
Finally not crazy about the front seats, wish there was more options to adjusting the position. I prefer a more horizontal seat and these have a big angle (6 inches height difference from front to back).

Exterior and interior styling. Fun to drive (especially 5-sp manual).

Fuel mileage. More adjustments for driver seat.