2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews 4

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
09 TDI 6sp Manual Wagon
By red_scout on 08/04/10 04:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Love the car. If you want a sports car with great mileage, and lots of storage this is it. Ultimately this is the main car to replace our Caravan. Most like a second TDI will be purchased. My mom has bought the 10 Golf (Jetta) Wagon in with the 2.5l Auto. She loves it.

an alright car
By Andy on 07/06/10 21:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The VW jetta is my first car I own and it good for a person who like to drive leisurely. Its suspension is Rather soft and there is body movement in the corners. But thats not much of a problem if your stuck in traffic moving at 3 mph. The automatic gear box in regular drive mode is quite dumb, its too eager to shift to 5 or 6 gear which is really annoying, so I have to put it into sport or use the tiptronic mode. The biggest problem is the squeaks and rattles, but to fix that all you have to do is turn up the radio. I Rather regret buying this car mostly because the new golf came to market the next month and I would rather have that.

Fuel Filler Issue
By Roady on 07/04/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like my TDI very much but there is an issue with finding a small automotive diesel fuel fill nozzle in rural areas. The big nozzles used at truck stops and most small town gas stations that sell diesel will not fit in the TDI fuel filler opening. When in dire need I have held the big nozzle against (not in) the opening and slowly added fuel. This is hard to do because the truck flow rate is also much higher than the VW can accept - so an overflow onto your shoes is very likely. Because of several bad experiences I always start looking for an automobile diesel pump way in advance of running out. McGyver-types will figure out how to survive but this is something that needs consideration

Bad Lock Modules
By peanutmm on 06/29/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am now having to have a second doors lock module and possibly latch replaced. The right side went out and was replaced 6 months ago and now the left rear passenger side went out and ahs to be replaced. Problem is warranty is out because of high miles I drive. car is only a year and half old. Overall, a great car. Just be sure if you drive high miles to get them to promise to cover warranty issues i.e. electrical as the lock replacement is 500-1000 per door.

An Item to consider
By tenncvol on 06/26/10 17:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like my TDI very well however potential buyers need to be aware of one drawback - availability of diesel fuel. Only about one (non-truck stop) station in five has a diesel pump, and it is often off to the side and not under a canopy so larger vehicles can access it. The fuel filler nozzle is frequently too large for the TDI's small opening (Why VW?) requiring holding the nozzle and slowly filling enough to get to a better pump. Could not recommended this car unless you are willing to endure this inconvenience

Great TDI, Best MPG out there
By RBS on 06/10/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought this car after it was made legal by Maine EPA. Hands down the best car for the money. Tried out the Prius but my soul would not let me buy such a lifeless piece of plastic. Car handles and drives great. Braking is also very responsive ( sorry Prius owners) My neighbors were blown away when they found out it was a diesel. Car has tons of room. I average 41 and if I drive like a responsible adult I can get high 40's on the highway. Nice thing is I don't have to and I still get better mileage then 99% of cars on the road. Features are adequate for the price. For those looking to buy new, I just saw the TDI CUP version and it is off the charts. Would highly recommend buying a TDI

Worth every penny!
By Nicole on 06/07/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After much research of different makes and models, which didn't include VW, I test drove one, on a whim. I was sold! It made me lose the desire to have another SUV like my Ford Escape. It had all the bells and whistles I wanted moonroof, cruise control, 6 CD changer, great gas mileage, sporty, safe and fun to drive. Not to mention, a HUGE trunk! The seats are very comfy, front and back. Even my arthritic 76 yr old dad loves the fit of the seats. For him to say that means a lot! The sport mode is fun but drains gas. Also, the manual transmission mode is a fun diversion. I'd buy again, in a heartbeat!

2009 Jetta problem vehicle
By Dave on 05/28/10 19:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Our car has been in the shop 12 times this year, and continues to have problems. VW of America offered $1500 toward a new VW, or $500 for all the service visits. The fuel system and front suspension have been rebuilt, and new problems surface daily. This is a German car built in Mexico, and is of poor quality. Also, when it runs, during moderate acceleration, the front wheels are overpowered. This causes front wheel hop that shakes the dash and prevents forward progress. The chassis can not handle the turbo engine. On the highway, the vehicle is very loud, lots of road, tire and wind noise. Another point, the dealerships Do not stock parts. pass this car up.

What a TDI, think again
By Say no to TDI on 05/14/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI in June of 2009. I put a lot of miles on cars & I have put 36875 miles on this one in less than a year. It has been in the shop 2X for engine problems. First time it wouldn't start or even try to start. Had it towed to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with it. It's in the shop now with 2 bad fuel injectors, a bad fuel pressure sensor and a clogged DPF. I told the dealer many times that it would run rough, but they said there was nothing wrong with it. Luckily I had bought the 60k mile extended warranty, it covers everything except the DPF, & it was not covered by the extended warranty or the Federal Emissions Warranty. Wish I never bought this car!

VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!
By j sansone on 04/24/10 04:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So far I seem to be very impressed with the build quality.