Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

So far so good...
By mdbla

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this CPO Jetta 1 month ago after owning an Audi A4 for 10 years. The Jetta is a fun car to drive, handles great. Manual transmissions shifts effortlessly. The exterior styling is nice (mine is black with the chrome trim) and the interior is very nice, has a upscale feel to it. Huge trunk! I was hoping with the 5-sp manual I'd get the higher miles per gallon (75% freeway, 25% city) but I've been getting exactly as advertised - 26 mpg. Finally not crazy about the front seats, wish there was more options to adjusting the position. I prefer a more horizontal seat and these have a big angle (6 inches height difference from front to back).

Exterior and interior styling. Fun to drive (especially 5-sp manual).

Fuel mileage. More adjustments for driver seat.

Pretty shoddy. Lots of problems. Dealers don't care.
By kingtaco

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So, I've had my wagon for about 32 months and I've given up. I've had multiple problems with the suspension, the alloy wheels break from even the most minor potholes. I've replaced something like 7 wheels at this point and finally started buying steel wheels. Those haven't had any problems. The dealers are hideously overpriced and don't seem to care about any of the problems I've had. They just want me to keep coming back and spending more money when something breaks. After another $600 bill for a small pothole I've given in. I'm waiting for Kia to get their 2012 models in and as soon as they do the Jetta's gone. I got 120k miles out of my last car (Honda), but only 45k out of this junk heap

It does hold a lot

Improve build quality. Bring parts prices into the realm of reasonability. Train your dealers not to gouge.

2009 VW TDI DSG Tranny Update
By adrenalinetdi

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Seriously folks, you must have to get this Dealer Warranty replaced. Our 2.0L TDI has a Mechtronic Controller Unit that sits atop the DSG Tranny. This Unit controls and puts a stop to the jerky and hesitation. Palisades VW in New York replaced mine last summer and WOW it has made a significant difference in the fuel economy, quickness, and safety. Now, when I press the pedal lightly, the TDI shifts smooooth and quick. Also, when slowing down, no more jerks. At 58 MPH I get 52 MPG with the AC blowing cold. In the city, at 45 MPH I get 60 + MPG. Seriously, do not let the dealers tell you otherwise. We spent extra money for the TDI for a reason. Make the call and beat the BMW driving uphill.

The 2009 VW TDI has features not found on the 2010 or newer. Basically we have a Luxury Passat with a Compressor Turbo Diesel power-plant. The Air Conditioner is Electronic without the use of belts. Here in Florida we have a dirt that is named "sugar sand." 4 wheel drive trucks get stuck in this sand. My TDI is a champion, its motor and electronic traction controllers went to work and drove the TDI right out onto pavement. Sitting in the cockpit, everything I need is at my fingertips. At night, the interior lights up like an airplane cockpit.

I had hoped that this was exactly the build of the German made VW and no the Mexican VW. There is a real difference in the paint and body metal. But that is why we pay to have a Comprehensive insurance policy, insurance against dings and dents and paint scrapes and headlight plastics that go bad with time. A trailer hitch to pull a small boat would be a nice extra. Uhual will install for $400.

VW Jetta Wolfsberg
By azaero

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

One of the least reliable cars I have ever owned. The interior is cheap plastic that constantly breaks and the dealerships will not replace it. The glove compartment latch has broken 3 times in 60,000 miles and the center arm rest is broken from normal wear. The engine reliability is very poor. The struts have failed twice, the oil leaks constantly, the brake lines leak, the computer constantly says to"check engine," it requires at least 91 octane or it gums-up, the vacuum hose plastic parts fail and leak. I've put thousands into this car. Never again will I own a VW.

The car has good acceleration when it is running and I get good mileage, about 28 mpg.

Redesign. Start with the cheap interior plastic and work out from there.

Love my TDI
By doczachary

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2009 TDI when I got tired of the gas mileage of my big truck. Put everything on it execpt for the Navigation system, fearing, and sun roof. I currently have 63K on my Jetta and really have had no issues to complain about. I get combo mileage of 35mpg and freeway of about 45 - 48 mpg with the AC on. The heated (fake) leather seats are great in the winter and really help the lower back on a long trip. The AC is good but not great. It could be colder. The AM/FM/CD/Sat stereo is great and works well. More speakers than you can find or count. Kids would probably complain since you probably can't turn it up as loud as they listen to it these days. Great finish and looks good

MILEAGE!!! Interior is really good Dash layout is logical and easy to work. Solid sound and feel TDI Clean Diesel is quiet and has all the power you need! It has a bit more turbo lag then I expected but it is not a big thing. Information center in middle of dash is nice but a bit of a pain to get your initial setup. 10K between Oil changes BUT VW charges you about $120!

Would rather see belly pan being metal instead of plastic