2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
This is a risky car to own.
By JamesG on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just sold my 09 TDI Jetta today. I will miss it, it was SO much fun to drive on the high-way. Fuel pumps (HPFP) are failing in this model, repair can cost $8 - $10K. VW is being very wissy-washy about covering what appears to be a growing issue. To much risk for me, good luck if you decide to buy.

I love my Jetta, mostly...
By Barnaby S. on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving this car very much. I had a Toyota Camry before and that car was so boring to drive I didn't really enjoy going place, it almost put me to sleep. This car is a joy to drive, I get in it sometimes to drive just for no reason other than to drive. It does have more annoyances than I am used to however. It has many squeaks and rattles, which seems unusual for a newer car. Though the seats are very comfortable, and the interior looks nice, and everything is very easy to use, the car makes many noises that are disturbing. There are probably 6 or 7 different intermittent squeaks and rattles that present themselves regularly, very annoying.

Love This Car
By Stoked! on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is beautiful, understated, stylish and comfortable. The interior style and quality are remarkable, from the leather wrapped steering wheel to the red and blue lighted instrumentation. The perception of elegance and quality is high throughout. It's a baby German sports sedan with everything I want, and I paid $17,000 for it! That was a steal. Amazing value. In summary, a refined piece of automotive art. Finally, note the spread between the reviewers rating's # and the consumer's ratings # above. People who buy this car love it.

Fuel Pump Failure
By Mike on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! At 30,000 miles the fuel pump failed and VW is trying to pin it on me, even though this is a common problem. They asked me to show them my last 5 fuel reciepts. I don't save fuel reciepts, not many people do. The seats are not comfortable, my back hurts after riding in this car for a half hour. If they solve the fuel pump issue I'll either replace the driver seat, or have it redone by an upholstery shop.

good value
By Fmailys on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have a 2009 Jetta SE (not Wolfsburg but the option isn't showing up). No clue what "Nicole" is talking about - to play music through your iPod you press the "CD" button again to switch between the CD changer and ipod. You DO NOT have to remove CDs. 2.5 engine is reliable, but not very fun or fuel efficient. Rides very smoothly. Has a nice amount of features. Feels very safe and solid. Interior quality is very good, on par with some higher-end marques. HVAC system is a weak. AC takes awhile to cool the car and is noisy at the higher settings. Trunk is huge and inside space is more than adequate for 4 adults. Leatherette seating is high quality and the seats are comfortable.

fuel pump failure
By Steelyeyed on 09/04/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

While still under warranty, the HPFP failed and the whole fuel system has to be replaced as a result. AND VW will not pay for repairs which are $10k. VW developed a HPFP which is susceptible to lack of lubrication using the ULSF which is required by law, and it comes apart after 25k miles. VW blames it on bad fuel, but what reasonable person buys a car that one has to test the fuel on fill up? The Siemens pump is especially vulnerable and you should insist on the Bosch fuel pump.

Reliable & Fun to drive sedan.
By phani9 on 08/31/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I never had any issue with my Jetta in these 2years. It has been fun to drive. Mileage is not bad. It's a very good small family sedan with HUGE trunk space. I easily fit 3 big luggages into it.

09 TDI 6sp Manual Wagon
By red_scout on 08/04/10 04:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Love the car. If you want a sports car with great mileage, and lots of storage this is it. Ultimately this is the main car to replace our Caravan. Most like a second TDI will be purchased. My mom has bought the 10 Golf (Jetta) Wagon in with the 2.5l Auto. She loves it.

an alright car
By Andy on 07/06/10 21:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The VW jetta is my first car I own and it good for a person who like to drive leisurely. Its suspension is Rather soft and there is body movement in the corners. But thats not much of a problem if your stuck in traffic moving at 3 mph. The automatic gear box in regular drive mode is quite dumb, its too eager to shift to 5 or 6 gear which is really annoying, so I have to put it into sport or use the tiptronic mode. The biggest problem is the squeaks and rattles, but to fix that all you have to do is turn up the radio. I Rather regret buying this car mostly because the new golf came to market the next month and I would rather have that.

Fuel Filler Issue
By Roady on 07/04/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like my TDI very much but there is an issue with finding a small automotive diesel fuel fill nozzle in rural areas. The big nozzles used at truck stops and most small town gas stations that sell diesel will not fit in the TDI fuel filler opening. When in dire need I have held the big nozzle against (not in) the opening and slowly added fuel. This is hard to do because the truck flow rate is also much higher than the VW can accept - so an overflow onto your shoes is very likely. Because of several bad experiences I always start looking for an automobile diesel pump way in advance of running out. McGyver-types will figure out how to survive but this is something that needs consideration

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$138 per month*