20K review - I love my TDI!
By Jon on
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
Traded my '06 Volvo S60 in June '09 for the Jetta (due to some quality issues) and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I drive ~350 miles/week, mix of highway and city, and average appr 41 mpg w/ a fairly heavy foot. My best is 47.5 on a trip from Bham to Nashville. The TDI's torque is impressive, and the turbo spool/blowoff sounds cool too! The interior is well built (even though I had an annoying rattle in the rear C- pillar, dealership fixed on 20k maint. visit). I appreciate the modest but functional interior layout. Even the sunroof is well designed! The gearbox shifts well and engages fluidly. My only beef w/ the car is the lack of option for cloth seats and the spongy brakes.
Favorite Features
Fuel economy (main motivation for purch), surprising performance, interior material quality, dash layout, very supportive seats (almost thought they were too small at first, but I love them now). Drives just as well at 100mph as it does at 50. Huge trunk. Did I mention fuel economy?
Suggested Improvements
Perhaps a reconsideration of speaker placement is in order - the sound comes all from beneath you. Needs better OEM brakes. I'd prefer cloth seats. Perhaps an option for a cabin heater for the winter, as the motor takes a while to come to temp. Overall, I'd highly recommend this car to anyone.