2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Worst car ever driven.....
By suma120200 on 10/07/11 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car from the moment I laid eyes on it, how ever the moment my warranty expired my nightmares began. Luckily, some of the problems started when I still had warranty. Since I bought me car, I had to replace the septic system, I had electric system problem where my sunroof didn't open and my radio did not turn on. Now I'm having intermittent problems with my gas cap not opening. I looked to see if there is a manual release, but unable to locate. I'm driven a Mazda, Toyota, and a Honda, I have never seen so many problems on a car under 35,000 miles.

So far so good...
By mdbla on 09/14/11 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this CPO Jetta 1 month ago after owning an Audi A4 for 10 years. The Jetta is a fun car to drive, handles great. Manual transmissions shifts effortlessly. The exterior styling is nice (mine is black with the chrome trim) and the interior is very nice, has a upscale feel to it. Huge trunk! I was hoping with the 5-sp manual I'd get the higher miles per gallon (75% freeway, 25% city) but I've been getting exactly as advertised - 26 mpg. Finally not crazy about the front seats, wish there was more options to adjusting the position. I prefer a more horizontal seat and these have a big angle (6 inches height difference from front to back).

Pretty shoddy. Lots of problems. Dealers don't care.
By kingtaco on 08/17/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So, I've had my wagon for about 32 months and I've given up. I've had multiple problems with the suspension, the alloy wheels break from even the most minor potholes. I've replaced something like 7 wheels at this point and finally started buying steel wheels. Those haven't had any problems. The dealers are hideously overpriced and don't seem to care about any of the problems I've had. They just want me to keep coming back and spending more money when something breaks. After another $600 bill for a small pothole I've given in. I'm waiting for Kia to get their 2012 models in and as soon as they do the Jetta's gone. I got 120k miles out of my last car (Honda), but only 45k out of this junk heap

2009 VW TDI DSG Tranny Update
By adrenalinetdi on 07/18/11 22:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Seriously folks, you must have to get this Dealer Warranty replaced. Our 2.0L TDI has a Mechtronic Controller Unit that sits atop the DSG Tranny. This Unit controls and puts a stop to the jerky and hesitation. Palisades VW in New York replaced mine last summer and WOW it has made a significant difference in the fuel economy, quickness, and safety. Now, when I press the pedal lightly, the TDI shifts smooooth and quick. Also, when slowing down, no more jerks. At 58 MPH I get 52 MPG with the AC blowing cold. In the city, at 45 MPH I get 60 + MPG. Seriously, do not let the dealers tell you otherwise. We spent extra money for the TDI for a reason. Make the call and beat the BMW driving uphill.

VW Jetta Wolfsberg
By azaero on 07/05/11 14:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

One of the least reliable cars I have ever owned. The interior is cheap plastic that constantly breaks and the dealerships will not replace it. The glove compartment latch has broken 3 times in 60,000 miles and the center arm rest is broken from normal wear. The engine reliability is very poor. The struts have failed twice, the oil leaks constantly, the brake lines leak, the computer constantly says to"check engine," it requires at least 91 octane or it gums-up, the vacuum hose plastic parts fail and leak. I've put thousands into this car. Never again will I own a VW.

Love my TDI
By doczachary on 04/25/11 05:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2009 TDI when I got tired of the gas mileage of my big truck. Put everything on it execpt for the Navigation system, fearing, and sun roof. I currently have 63K on my Jetta and really have had no issues to complain about. I get combo mileage of 35mpg and freeway of about 45 - 48 mpg with the AC on. The heated (fake) leather seats are great in the winter and really help the lower back on a long trip. The AC is good but not great. It could be colder. The AM/FM/CD/Sat stereo is great and works well. More speakers than you can find or count. Kids would probably complain since you probably can't turn it up as loud as they listen to it these days. Great finish and looks good

Reliability Diaster
By mike_t on 03/23/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car is ideal in concept and I enjoyed it very much in the beginning - especially the 6 speed and low end torque. But the initial quality was poor. Problems included the navigation system, ABS, and exhaust system. Then the fuel pump failed at 27k miles. Very, very disappointed. I have 2 Toyota's with 255k miles combined and I've never thought about the fuel system failing => Much less to the tune of $10k. VW is covering under warranty, but I would consider the quality very much below average.

BW loves his VW
By BW on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car a month ago from Carmax and am very glad I did. I wanted did buy an imported car and was very pleased at the standard options that come with the S model of VW Jetta. The triptonic automatic is excellent, it has 6 speeds and has an S mode which is excellent at launching the car to terminal velocity at any street light. This car is very fast 0 to 30 and 60 mph to get on a highway. The gas mileage is great on the highway and gets at least 30 mpg. City mileage is disappointing around 20-22 mpg, but it makes up for it for being geared to go very fast. The trunk is HUGE! You have to see it to believe it. Its amazing how VW engineers did a tons of things great for this car.

TDI fuel system self destructs!!!
By No More TDI For Me on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The '09 TDI was in many ways the best car I'd owned in 20+ years. Safe, comfortable, good handling in snow, and amazing MPG (44 hwy, 37 city over 20K miles). However, the TDI has a faulty high pressure fuel pump design and complete failures are showing up all over the US due to the poor quality of US diesel compared to Europe. Bottom line? at 21K my pump failed and shot metal particles through the entire fuel system. It was all replaced (tank to injectors) at a cost of about $10K. This was covered by warranty and the dealer was great-- but there is nothing to prevent it from happening again, out of warranty. And who needs are car that may self-destruct without warning at any time? Stay away.

3rd Diesel and the best yet
By Marc on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my third VW diesel (85 Golf, 98 Jetta,09 Jetta) What a car! Very fast and shifts like a manual. 22300 miles so far and have averaged 44.7 mpg combined hiway and city driving. Drove from eastern CT to northern Alabama and back on 41 gallons of fuel. Thats over 52 mpg. Much quieter that the other two I owned.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$138 per month*