2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews 2

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2009 Jetta Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
35k Miles
By jettaowner5

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car a month ago with 34k miles. First of all, the exterior design of this car is a beauty. The 2012 Jetta is no where near as nice as this one. In addition, the newer models have backtracked in quality to make Jettas more competitive with Japanese and Korean sedans (another reason why I went with this 2009 Jetta) This 2009 interior is great. It is top notch quality with seat heaters, auxiliary input and soft touch dashboard. I feel like I'm riding a luxury car (which I think it is). Bought it for 14k. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, auxiliary input, great traction, nice body design, great handling, not noisy on the highway, huge trunk size

Suggested Improvements

Wished city gas mileage was better. Highway is excellent. 30+ mpg.

Hole on Side of Drivers Seat
By maolra

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have enjoyed te car basically. Had front suspesion problemsit was a problem apprantly all 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta had . Service Dept was great rent a car free no problem. But I noticed a hole or abrasion at fist starting on drivers side @10k seat where seat belt comes around. Very noticable when car door is opened now. Now further stiching is is coming apart. Frame of seat pushing against side of drivers seat has created a hole the size of a mans thumb. V>W> is huh ?Calling V.W. North America as it has loded te value of car. I change my own plugs/coil and oil. Also spent the 100 bucks to get Bently manual. But I insist they replace the seat or I spend $225 for friont canvas seat covers.

2009 Jetta Wolfsburg
By brishimmel

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my Jetta. Before I started having problems with it I swore by VW and said my future cars would be VW's. Well in the past three weeks, that has changed. Once my Jetta hit 25k, everything went wrong. Check engine light always comes on, it has left me stranded two times in three weeks. Both times have been the fuel pump. The first time (3 weeks ago) the dealer said they replaced it, now I am doubting that they did. Now they are saying it is the fuel pump again. I called roadside asst which is still under my warranty and they charged me $250+ to have it towed to my dealer where I live. Again, love my Jetta but be sure you have $$ to fix it when it goes out of warranty.

Favorite Features

I love the way this car feels when it drives. Although, after it hit 25k I noticed a "lag" or a hesitation when it would pull out. I know it is a turbo but I had never had this problem before. I do love the interior. You can tell the leather is nice quality and I love the black/tan trim. However, I do hear a coupld rattles here and there which are annoying.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the fuel system! My warranty is up in Dec & with two major things that have gone wrong in the past 3 weeks, I am definitely going to trade it in. VW roadside asst is terrible. Like I said, they charged me $250+ to have it towed to my dealer where I live. This had happened in the middle of the night & once the tow truck took my VW to my dealer at 3am, roadside said he couldn't leave it there because there was no night drop & he needed to tow it back 110 miles where the car was originally picked up. Think they would've said this when he originally came. Also wanted to charged me agian to take it back to Phx and tow it back down to Tucson on Monday.

Worst car ever driven.....
By suma120200

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car from the moment I laid eyes on it, how ever the moment my warranty expired my nightmares began. Luckily, some of the problems started when I still had warranty. Since I bought me car, I had to replace the septic system, I had electric system problem where my sunroof didn't open and my radio did not turn on. Now I'm having intermittent problems with my gas cap not opening. I looked to see if there is a manual release, but unable to locate. I'm driven a Mazda, Toyota, and a Honda, I have never seen so many problems on a car under 35,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car, the panoramic sunroof, the space , and trunk space. I also like how the car drives. If I didn't have so many issues with my car, I probably would have recommended this to all my friends and family. After my husband saw how costly the repairs were and how frequently I find my self going in for repairs, my husband went with a Nissan Versa instead.

Suggested Improvements

I think the extended warranty should be more affordable and cost to maintain should be lower. I think these cars have potential and should be made to last like Hondas and Toyotas are.

So far so good...
By mdbla

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this CPO Jetta 1 month ago after owning an Audi A4 for 10 years. The Jetta is a fun car to drive, handles great. Manual transmissions shifts effortlessly. The exterior styling is nice (mine is black with the chrome trim) and the interior is very nice, has a upscale feel to it. Huge trunk! I was hoping with the 5-sp manual I'd get the higher miles per gallon (75% freeway, 25% city) but I've been getting exactly as advertised - 26 mpg. Finally not crazy about the front seats, wish there was more options to adjusting the position. I prefer a more horizontal seat and these have a big angle (6 inches height difference from front to back).

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling. Fun to drive (especially 5-sp manual).

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage. More adjustments for driver seat.

Pretty shoddy. Lots of problems. Dealers don't care.
By kingtaco

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So, I've had my wagon for about 32 months and I've given up. I've had multiple problems with the suspension, the alloy wheels break from even the most minor potholes. I've replaced something like 7 wheels at this point and finally started buying steel wheels. Those haven't had any problems. The dealers are hideously overpriced and don't seem to care about any of the problems I've had. They just want me to keep coming back and spending more money when something breaks. After another $600 bill for a small pothole I've given in. I'm waiting for Kia to get their 2012 models in and as soon as they do the Jetta's gone. I got 120k miles out of my last car (Honda), but only 45k out of this junk heap

Favorite Features

It does hold a lot

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality. Bring parts prices into the realm of reasonability. Train your dealers not to gouge.

2009 VW TDI DSG Tranny Update
By adrenalinetdi

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Seriously folks, you must have to get this Dealer Warranty replaced. Our 2.0L TDI has a Mechtronic Controller Unit that sits atop the DSG Tranny. This Unit controls and puts a stop to the jerky and hesitation. Palisades VW in New York replaced mine last summer and WOW it has made a significant difference in the fuel economy, quickness, and safety. Now, when I press the pedal lightly, the TDI shifts smooooth and quick. Also, when slowing down, no more jerks. At 58 MPH I get 52 MPG with the AC blowing cold. In the city, at 45 MPH I get 60 + MPG. Seriously, do not let the dealers tell you otherwise. We spent extra money for the TDI for a reason. Make the call and beat the BMW driving uphill.

Favorite Features

The 2009 VW TDI has features not found on the 2010 or newer. Basically we have a Luxury Passat with a Compressor Turbo Diesel power-plant. The Air Conditioner is Electronic without the use of belts. Here in Florida we have a dirt that is named "sugar sand." 4 wheel drive trucks get stuck in this sand. My TDI is a champion, its motor and electronic traction controllers went to work and drove the TDI right out onto pavement. Sitting in the cockpit, everything I need is at my fingertips. At night, the interior lights up like an airplane cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

I had hoped that this was exactly the build of the German made VW and no the Mexican VW. There is a real difference in the paint and body metal. But that is why we pay to have a Comprehensive insurance policy, insurance against dings and dents and paint scrapes and headlight plastics that go bad with time. A trailer hitch to pull a small boat would be a nice extra. Uhual will install for $400.

VW Jetta Wolfsberg
By azaero

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

One of the least reliable cars I have ever owned. The interior is cheap plastic that constantly breaks and the dealerships will not replace it. The glove compartment latch has broken 3 times in 60,000 miles and the center arm rest is broken from normal wear. The engine reliability is very poor. The struts have failed twice, the oil leaks constantly, the brake lines leak, the computer constantly says to"check engine," it requires at least 91 octane or it gums-up, the vacuum hose plastic parts fail and leak. I've put thousands into this car. Never again will I own a VW.

Favorite Features

The car has good acceleration when it is running and I get good mileage, about 28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign. Start with the cheap interior plastic and work out from there.

Love my TDI
By doczachary

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2009 TDI when I got tired of the gas mileage of my big truck. Put everything on it execpt for the Navigation system, fearing, and sun roof. I currently have 63K on my Jetta and really have had no issues to complain about. I get combo mileage of 35mpg and freeway of about 45 - 48 mpg with the AC on. The heated (fake) leather seats are great in the winter and really help the lower back on a long trip. The AC is good but not great. It could be colder. The AM/FM/CD/Sat stereo is great and works well. More speakers than you can find or count. Kids would probably complain since you probably can't turn it up as loud as they listen to it these days. Great finish and looks good

Favorite Features

MILEAGE!!! Interior is really good Dash layout is logical and easy to work. Solid sound and feel TDI Clean Diesel is quiet and has all the power you need! It has a bit more turbo lag then I expected but it is not a big thing. Information center in middle of dash is nice but a bit of a pain to get your initial setup. 10K between Oil changes BUT VW charges you about $120!

Suggested Improvements

Would rather see belly pan being metal instead of plastic

Reliability Diaster
By mike_t

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car is ideal in concept and I enjoyed it very much in the beginning - especially the 6 speed and low end torque. But the initial quality was poor. Problems included the navigation system, ABS, and exhaust system. Then the fuel pump failed at 27k miles. Very, very disappointed. I have 2 Toyota's with 255k miles combined and I've never thought about the fuel system failing => Much less to the tune of $10k. VW is covering under warranty, but I would consider the quality very much below average.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Nav and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Make an engine that lasts longer than 27k miles and fix initial quality issues.