Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

If you want economy, you must pay for it!
By bud8138

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 115,000 miles on it. It gets great fuel economy, is fun to drive, looks good.....BUT....The regular maintenence costs will negate that great fuel economy, especially if you have the 6 speed automatic transmission, which is actually two manual transmissions in one case that is shifted hydraullicly. It requires regular maintenence every 80,000 miles tat makes one think they are buying a new tranny. Add to that a new timing belt at 90,000 miles that will run another $1200. So you see, you pay for that economy. I love the car but will not buy another. Oh yeah, a faulty fuse holder for one bank of headlights is another $520.00.

Fuel economy, pep, fun to drive. Ten thousand mile oil change.

A transmission and engine that don't have such high "regular maintenence" costs.

sehr gut!
By nivek3

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW and I really dig this German car. I have always wondered about the people that are fanatical about their VWs. Now I know. The build quality absolutely kills anything American built. The handling and comfort are excellent. Did I mention the gas mileage? Highway is rated for I believe 42, yeah on bad day. When I travel long distances I get around 50. I really have enjoyed this car and I know see why people get obsessed with VWs.

Interior build quality, gas mileage, and fun to drive.

Cheaper sales price.

Driven 11,000 miles since new.
By tappan

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Pros: Styling is a homerun. Much better looking than anything else in its segment. It looks classy and expensive even when standing still. Interior is also a homerun. Nice quality material; leatherette (fake leather) looks real, but does not require any special care or maintenance and does not age or crack like real leather. Very peppy 170 Hp 2.5L I-5 engine. Power everything, including both front seats! Cons: Engine technology dates back 30 years to old Audi 5000. It's buzzy, growly, and noisy, especially when cold. Fuel economy is just OK, not remarkable. Great in-town car.

The SE trim comes pretty well loaded out. The SE trim is a homerun, especially in the beautiful 2-tone color scheme. Std. equipment includes power moonroof, wipers that pause while you are stopped, 50/50 fold-down rear seat with center pass-thru and fold-down armrest, turn signal blinkers in outside mirrors, power seats for driver & passenger, a great 10-speaker 5-disc CD/Satellite sound sytem, 6-speed manu-matic transmission, and more, too much to list here. But the I-5 engine needs refinement and updating. A/C system could be improved. I wish a V6 was available like in pre-2006 Jettas. Overall, a very nice upscale compact that offers a lot of value and quality for the money.

VW customer service and support needs a lot of improvement. Dealerships are indifferent, technicians are under-trained, and VW corporate just doesn't seem to care. If VW is serious about running with the big dogs (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford), the entire organization needs a complete culture overhaul starting at the top focusing on extraordinary customer service. The car itself is OK, but service is abysmal when needed. Furthermore, VW really misread theirmarket when the dumbed-down the 2012 Jetta & Passat. They ruined & cheapened 2 great cars thinking this is what we want. A better support organization is what we want. Not cheap cars. Lexus has already proved this.

Das Auto!!!!!
By carrao33

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I have owned a couple big ole piece of chevys, and this is our first VW, we absolutely love it! For a small car it has enough power to make the car fun to drive, the handling is good, the tan leatherette interior makes the car feel luxurious. We also love being a part of the VW family, and find ourselves unconsiously parking next to other V-dubs in parking lots. I will probably never own another american car now.

Love the quality of the interior, the seats, the controls, the sunroof, the trunk is big etc...

The only feature I wish this car had is remote start for the cold winter season.

Great Car
By poopoopeepee

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car. My car is at 38k miles and the only problem I've had is weak break pads, but that can happen to any car. It is extremely smooth to drive. It has delayed steering, a great suspension, smooth shifting, and a VERY quiet engine. Im pretty young, and I drive manual transmission so I think that the quiet engine is a negative quality of the car, but that is a great thing for a lot of people. And the inside is amazing, I haven't had a person sit in my car and not give me a compliment. With heated seats (not leather), electric Everything, and plenty, i mean PLENTY of room in both the front and back seats, it feels like a $30k+ luxury vehicle. (only paid $14k)

Heated seats Red & blue dashboard lights Electric controls Delayed Steering Rear & Side mirror defrosters Turn Signals on side mirrors Lots and Head Room Great safety ratings

the front bumper. The chrome looks kinda weird, but some people like it.