Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

mpg, performance, comfort, looks

Auto headlight off

A lot to like
By Mike

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta in general closely approximates an entry level luxury sedan while being priced closer to more basic sedans. The TDI drive train provides tremendous performance with exceptional mileage (40+ mpg is easily obtained driving gently). At idle it sounds different than a gasoline engine but not objectionable. There is no diesel smell. Its acceleration and responsiveness are impressive. The trunk is large and easily accessible with a pass through for long objects. The cabin is comfortable for four. This car deserves to be very popular. I see no good reasons not to consider it if looking for a mid sized sedan.

Responsive drive train. Great mileage and range. Superior handling. Comfortable well appointed interior. Good sound system.

Something similar to GM's onstar might be nice but in general the car just works well.

A Win-Win Situation
By WC4NC

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Like everyone else, fuel economy is in everyones mind. Driving a BMW 525 70 miles per day to work was getting expensive. Much shopping/research went on and the VW TDI SportWagen was the Ace of Hearts that we were looking for so the BMW went bye-bye. I look forward to driving this car everyday and thank God I was lucky enough to find one on the lot on my first visit to the VW dealer.

Higher MPG than my old car & price of Diesel is a no brainer. Sporty looking and my daughter loves the 52" sunroof. Definitely roomy for the kids & their stuff. Not noisy/smelly like the old diesel cars. Normal size spare tire. Navigation w/DVD player. Great response when taking off (Turbo)

The built in Harddrive needs more user friendly features. Full power seats, not just reclining only. Radio ctrl on steering wheel.

Finally A Car I Love
By JLA

Just picked up my Jetta TDI Sportswagon last week and so far I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles great, the turbo is a real kick. Perfect size after driving mini-vans for the last 19 years. Plenty of cargo area in the back, seats are comfortable. A/C works great and cools down the car within a couple of minutes. So far I'm still on my first tank of gas but at 175 miles I've only used a quarter of a tank of gas. Nice to finally have a car I look forward to driving.

Pano sunroof, gas mileage, turbo, DSG transmission, info display & my after- market Nav/Sound System (car did not come equipped with that item)

Power front seats with memory option and more storage area in front of car. Real leather interior upgrade would be nice but the leatherette is a good substitute.

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

Turbo Diesel..powerful, smooth and efficient. German engineering, handling, and ride. Nice body style, good sound system, many small nice features and touches.

Sun roof is too hot. Needs insulated cover, not a screen.