2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Small Wonder
By Small Wonder on 10/17/08 11:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Ours. Well, wife's but what the heck I get to drive it too when we ride together. we got the 6 speed manual, what a blast to drive. by the way we went in to buy a Tiguan but ended up buying the TDI we think it's a better value. Got the multiple on dash cd changer but don't need it cause it's got an ipod hook up and the rest is history. this car is well worth it, an excellent car without comparison, buy one we need to support the Diesel technology so they bring more choices for us to love.

First Time VW Owner
By CS - Cville VA on 10/14/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First time owning a VW and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of materials used in production. Seats are comfortable and supportive. The VW TDI diesel is much quieter than I was expecting after previously driving a Mercedes diesel years ago. Great Car all around so far.

Incredible overall package
By RBJetta on 10/13/08 08:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I recently purchased a TDI Sportwagen with the panorama sunroof and 6-speed manual. I have driven the car about 500 miles. I have averaged 39 MPG and have gotten up to 46 on longer highway trips. The size is perfect, roomy back seat and plenty of cargo space. The huge sunroof really brightens up the black interior. The car is plenty peppy and a lot of fun to drive. Overall I am very satisfied so far.

Great Value
By Chappy on 10/10/08 00:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is a great car for 25k. Getting 40+ MPG out of the gate in mixed driving. Very quick off the line. You cannot find this mix of performance, build quality, MPG and price anywhere else.

great car overall
By Drea83079 on 10/08/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

This is a great car for the money. It is very fuel efficient, for those who have only managed to get in 350 or so miles, the mileage does improve drastically over time. I average mid 40's for primarily 50 mph driving on country backroads, and high 30s in city driving. I decreased my weekly gas bill for my Subaru from 180 dollars to my current 52.00 per week! That cannot be beat, and it only requires one fill per week, with me driving 600 miles per week on average. My only complaint is that I have 3500 miles so far, and the check engine light just came on. The dealer has been very helpful, but I am a bit concerned that maybe they have not yet worked out the kinks in the new engine.

Fun to drive!
By Mike on 10/06/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Traded in my '04 Jetta TDI for the '09 model. Had put 103K miles on my previous car. This one seems to be more refined, I had door rattles in my '04 model that couldn't be found by dealer. Torque on the '09 is crazy! Very fun to drive. At hwy speeds, expect ~40 Mpg. If you slow down to 55 ;), you can get 50 Mpg. The MFD display is neat, as it tells you instant and average economy. Love my TDI - and get better mileage when I use B15 BioDiesel! (Ethanol users, eat your hearts out!) -Mike

TDI Convert
By AGL on 10/03/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

Call me a convert! I ditched my 07 Chevy Tahoe for some TDI fun. I waited several months for a TDI sport wagon and it was worth the wait. This car is a joy to drive and the mileage is fantastic. I drove a friend's hybrid Camry, and a Prius, before testing the TDI. There is simply no comparison. Toyota's hybrids are great at what they do, but I couldn't imagine driving one on a daily basis. This is my first VW, and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the diesel option in the new Tiguan so my wife can have a little fun. Zipping around town in the Jetta is loads of fun, and I am looking forward to my first road trip.

Great car for the money
By corvusnex on 09/23/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just got my 2009 Jetta TDI [DSG] and I love it! It's a great little car. Even brand new I've been averaging over 50 mpg on the highway during my commute. The styling is nice, not great, but nice. The interior is very well laid out, with controls in easy to access, but not necessarily see, locations. The DSG, although an "automatic" transmission, shifts like a manual and it takes some getting used to if you have never driven before. The degree of engine braking as the car downshifts back into first was startling the first few times. I'm looking forward to getting even better mileage after the engine is fully broken-in.

maiden diesel voyage
By Floridian on 09/16/08 17:23 PM (PDT)

Very solid build. The 6 speed manual is very smooth and really lets you enjoy the torque of the diesel. I live in south Florida and the sunscreen over the panoramic sunroof actually does keep it cool inside. I am 6'6" and have plenty of headroom and my kids can still sit behind me. First tank was 39.5 mpg with 60% highway. I have seen over 50 mpg over long stretches at 72-75 mph.

Powerful, efficient and FUN to drive!
By Zuno78 on 09/10/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

As an owner of an ‘84 300D Turbo Diesel Benz for over 10 years, I knew it would be worth waiting for the ’09 Jetta TDI. Two weeks after purchasing my Loyal Edition, I remain extremely satisfied. This car has amazing torque output! I can feel the quiet diesel engine purring under the hood as it speeds effortlessly down the road. The firm ride adds to the feel that I'm driving a tamed beast! Months of research convinced me that no other car gives you the value the TDI offers. At an average of 44.7 mpg on the highway this past weekend, I am convinced this is an unbeatable deal that will last for years to come.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*