Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

Favorite Features

Turbo Diesel..powerful, smooth and efficient. German engineering, handling, and ride. Nice body style, good sound system, many small nice features and touches.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof is too hot. Needs insulated cover, not a screen.

2009 TDI
By H

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Drive nearly 30k miles/year. 6 speed makes this car fun to drive. unless you spend a lot of time in traffic, I would suggest no buying DSG. Tried the DSG, but felt like it hesitated slightly from a stop. Good ergonomics. Simple interior yet comfortable and inviting. Great for running errands or long trips. Fold down seats give it versatility for skiing, etc. Average 47-50 mpg highway and nearly 40 combined.

Favorite Features

Mileage of course. Handling. Aux plug fine for mp3/ipod, no need for ipod adapter.

Suggested Improvements

Extendable arm rest, second 12v plug in console, Full power seat(s) w/ memory.

awsome, fun, ecomonical
By Leard Huggins

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We bought it to replace my wife's 1999 Olds Cutlass with 51,000 miles bought new from the same dealer 10 years go. We compared it to the Prius and the VW SportWagonTDI won. We just finished our 1st long trip (800 miles) in it and are totally satisfied. Keep in mind my car is a 2004 GMC Denali all wheel drive and loaded. I am 6'7" tall and 280 lbs the VW has plenty of room. It has as much head room as my Denali. We averaged 33.6 MPG calculated from gas tickets after driving 80-90 mph on Interstate and 4o-60 MPH on two lane roads from Savannah to Apacatchacola. It is not even broken in yet and the mpg is impressive.

Favorite Features

Good mileage, fun to drive, very responsive

Suggested Improvements

power seats, turbo lag at slow speed

My best car ever
By DD

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The '09 Jetta diesel is powerful, economical, safe, and well-built. Forget the EPA rating, you'll get 40-45 MPG driving sensibly. Just note it is not a car for short-commute city drivers; stop-and-go and short commutes where the engine never warms up will cream your mileage (though you should still see mid-to-high 30s). This is a full-sized powerful sedan that handles like a luxury car but gives the same or better fuel economy than toy cars such as the 'Smart' or any hybrid you care to name. Do yourself a favor and test-drive it.

New Salsa Red Sedan
By JerryI

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had to take back to dealer after 450 miles when engine light came on. Oxygen sensor needed to be replaced. First non-Japanese car so I'm hoping reliability isn't too much of an issue. Purchased for gas mileage, sporty nature and uniqueness, durability of diesel engine. I drive many highway miles. Standard radio has very tinny sound, not for listening to music. Will need to upgrade. Air conditioning is weak. Vents hardly blow out much cold air. No complaints about the ride, acceleration or gas mileage. Feels solid and looks good.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration, good looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Should have gotten better sound system. Air conditioning not up to par.