2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 13

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
First 2500 Miles
By bronco$fan on 01/12/09 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've driven the car for 2,500 miles now and am very happy with it. 85% of the miles are short in town trips ath are 5 miles or less (hardly enough to get let the engine warm up) and I am averaging 35.2 MPG. I am sure if we drove slower and took longer trips the mileage would be substantially higher. We purchased this because we wanted an efficient car and could not stand the tiny box feel of all the other high mileage cars on the market (IE civic, fit, carolla, yari, etc).

2009 Jetta TDI
By MartinR on 12/26/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is an excellent car for the money. The standard features include 10 speaker stereo, heated seats. The fit and finish is superb for a $21990 car. The EPA mileage ratings are totally incorrect. This car easily gets over 40 mpg in mixed driving. You will easily get in the high 40's or even 50 mpg on the highway if you drive carefully. The car handles well, is stable and feels very secure.

Love this car
By jcohio on 12/19/08 16:28 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

With gas close to $4 a gallon, I decided it was time to part company with my SUV, so while at a local area VW Dealer picking up my sonís Rabbit, I took a look at the í09 TDI sedan. Shopped around for about a month and then went back and purchased one. I have one of the original ones sent out to the dealers as a preview, white minus the green leaf decals, with their new outstanding automatic transmission. I couldnít be happier with this car, great mileage, 36 mpg city, and it handle like a true euro built driving machine. By the way, after only 2,500 miles the fuel mileage should improve once the engine is broke in.

Exit Crossover or SUV
By Dick on 12/17/08 11:20 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We were looking for a replacement for our Volvo XC70. Wanted something not quite as large, but with lots of utility and better fuel economy. The Jetta TDI Sportwagon is the ideal size vehicle for us...room for our dog with the rear seats up and some hauling from time to time. Many crossovers don't have the room this VW Sportwagen does. But the real deal is the TDI engine. Our first trip was across Washington state and back when the car was new. Got 43 MPG overall and its getting better. The new automatic is so smooth you can only tell the shift points by looking at the tach. The seating positions are very comfortable for a long trip and the car is quiet with little road noise.

My third TDI and the best yet
By Chet on 12/16/08 13:46 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is our third TDI and first sedan. We still have an 05 wagon but will be trading for a new sport wagon in late spring of 09. Our 03 wagon saved my wife's life when she was T-boned and ended up upside down 100 yards down the road. Not a scratch, a very safe car.

Best Overall Car
By TDICT on 12/15/08 08:19 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned 15 cars over the past 30 years ranging from a Subaru to a Porsche. The Jetta TDI is the best overall so far. Low price, great gas mileage, fun to drive, roomy, great build quality and love the huge sun roof.

Jetta TDI owner for 21 days
By St. Louis Jetta Girl on 12/13/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is the first car I have owned that isn't American. I struggled to find a happy medium with price, high fuel mileage & satisfaction with the size/interior of a new car. My Ford was 10 years old & I wanted the next car to last that long. After lots of online research & many test drives, I wanted a '09 Jetta TDI in theory, but needed to drive one once they hit the street. It was love at first drive. The car is substantial, feels solid, not much noise & I don't feel like I'm driving a tin-can. Other cars get similar mileage, but don't have the "pep," feel as safe or have the quality. The standard equipment is great. I love my Jetta TDI & I'm working on my guilt for not buying American.

Very Impressed
By John T. on 12/11/08 09:36 AM (PST)

I've just passed 6000 miles and I really enjoy this vehicle. I see no drawbacks from the diesel -- except that diesel is a about a dollar more a gallon than gas these days. I spend a lot less time at the gas pump -- I get over 500 miles on a tank and I put in less than 13 gallons a fill-up. The DSG transmission is well matched to the engine and the throttle response is smooth and powerful enough to inspire confidence for all merging and passing situations. The steering and road feel is good, and it takes the road bumps well. All in all I'm very happy with this car to date.

Great Alternative to a Hybrid
By newvwowner on 12/08/08 14:04 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Fun to drive! The fuel economy is much better than the EPA estimates. So far I am averaging 37+mpg in my daily commute (70%city, 30%highway) and when I go strictly highway I'm averaging 46mpg. And the amazing thing is that it should improve as the engine breaks continues to break in (have 4500 miles so far). Glad I picked this over a hybrid -- much more power and the trunk size is unbelievable! The Jetta is comfortable during my day-to-day commute and also during road trips. It easily fits four 6-footers with no performance lag. The engine noise is even less than my friend's '08 Passat 2.0T and no one can believe that it's a diesel until they look at the badging.

I am still amazed!
By peanut on 12/06/08 15:15 PM (PST)

I have now had my TDI Sportwagen for one and half months. I have 6500 miles and average about 38 mpgs overall. I keep a fully loaded car for sales promotion items from the back of the front seats to the back door and getting an average of 38mpgs. I can't imagine what I would get with a car that did not have a heavy load daily. It is very sporty, handles well and I am very pleased. I would recommend that you give this car a drive if looking for an economical option to the SUV. I am still saving about 30-40 dollars a month on gas even though there is a 80 cent spread between unleaded regular and diesel.