Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

MPG 45/55
By brother_unknown

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Fuel economy is 45mpg on an 18 mile rt commute in traffic. All the comfort features we've wanted for years including bun warmers. Ample seating room front and back. Our next car will also be a Jetta TDI

TDI SportWagen is Amazing
By bam

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I now had my 2009 TDI Wagon a full year now and have 15k on it, so I thought I would share my experience. The car has been flawless and has had no service issues at all. Mileage has been great at mid 40's on the hwy and mid 30's in the city. If you are going 65mph cruising it will get over 50mpg. My usual tank avg. is 38-40mpg with 2/3 hwy miles. The car is fun to drive especially with the 6spd. manual. Started right up in 30 below zero overnight weather last winter, no problems at all.

Favorite Features

Panoramic Sunroof, touchscreen audio and Nav system, USB media hub, great in the snow as well. Great power in almost all situations, fun!

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel audio controls please! Have sport appearance package with fog lights as an affordable factory installed option. Digital auto climate control on TDI should at least be an option.

Crown Victoria to Jetta TDI
By Beetle Juice

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving a Ford Crown Victoria for 18 years, it is going to take a while to get used to a smaller car where I feel and hear more of the road than I would like. The 16-inch rims and low profile tires give the car a sporty feel but I prefer the smoother ride of a large sedan. I took the Mercury Milan Hybrid on a test drive first but it was priced too high. It was smoother and quieter than the Jetta. I am impressed with the fuel efficiency after 500 miles. I am getting 34 mpg city and 47 highway while driving between 65-70 mph. When the piston rings are seated and the car is more broken in, I expect to do better.

Favorite Features

The excellent fuel efficiency, the DSG transmission, quality construction, power windows & mirrors, decent handling, good sound system, the fold down back seat that increases trunk space, and the chrome grill is a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

The brake pedal is too far above the accelerator pedal making it more awkward to stop the car. All power seat adjustment, automatic light shut off, and a bigger steering wheel. Getting out of the car is a chore and not as easy as a larger sedan, even for an active and limber person like me.

great car
By judy

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far so good . I don't know the reliability yet because it's new.But I have to choose it to complete the review!I like it more than BMW because VW is quieter.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

has AWD

Economical yet Fun
By Mike

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought the six speed manual in July and have put about 1200 miles on it so far. Got 41.5 mpg for the first 500 miles and 43 mpg for the second 500 miles (mostly highway but some stop and go). The car handles great and has good acceleration. I traded in my 2003 Passat and this car is almost as big as my Passat was. Not as luxurious as the Passat, but I didn't want to spend the extra money and I wanted the high gas mileage. Unlike a couple of the other reviewers, my air conditioning has been great (live near DC and it has been hot recently). Looks sharp - good head turning quotient.

Favorite Features

Nice look, inside and out. Good trunk space. Great handling and zip. Economical and socially responsible. Power outlet in back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system - the standard one sounds a little tinny. More color choices. A little too much road/wind noise, quieter would be nice. More comfortable seats (cloth option) with better ergonomics.