2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
TDI Sedan after first 5000+ miles
By dibrowz on 03/01/09 23:27 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Below are the ACTUAL mpg and average speed figures as reported by the onboard VW computer: MPG = 34.7 at an average speed of 32 mph 34.3mpg @ 30mph 34.3mpg @ 31mph 33.7mpg @ 30mph 33.8mpg @ 30mph 33.9mpg @ 33mph Each set of the figures above were from full tanks of gas (about 400 miles per tank). As you can see, most of the driving was city driving and the TDI is pretty consistent at around 34 MPG. I have yet to use a full tank on the highway but I typically see MPG figures in the mid 40's when charging around the flatlands of the Sacramento area doing 65-75 MPH. Love this car!!

Looking for Economy? Get a TDi
By Trev on 03/01/09 09:43 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car replaces a Honda Civic DX. When my wife said she wanted a new car, and it "had to get better mileage than her Honda", the search was on. We spend a couple of weeks a year in Europe, and know how developed the Turbo Diesel is in Europe. While Hybrid's are interesting, its repair costs are questionable - most likely one won't be repairing, they will be replacing components. I had heard from friends who have TDi's how much they liked them. The TDi is positioned as the top of the line model - with all of the bells and whistles. This car impresses me more every time I drive it. It accelerates at every speed with gusto, and averages about 44+ mpg on a 25 mile one way trip.

TDI for fun
By Huxley on 02/27/09 15:21 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2009 Jetta TDI I currently have less than 1400 miles. I took a short trip of 250 miles and received 47 mpg. This was great. The Sport Wagon would be my preference. Since my walker doesn't fit in the trunk with the back seat up. It appears to be a large trunk but not the depth I would like.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
By Jetta TDI Sedan on 02/12/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We traded in two gas hogs for this Jetta TDI, and are extremely happy with this car. It is smooth and quiet, has great pick-up and excellent gas mileage. We are headed to Germany and wanted something to zip around Europe in efficiently, have two kids, with ample space for them and their supplies. Previously drove Honda Odyssey and Nissan Frontier, approx 20mpg, so very happy with the diesel mileage. Runs surprisingly quiet and smooth.

VW Jetta TDI
By Ken on 02/05/09 18:46 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased a new Jetta TDI 6 speed manual car a few weeks ago. First tank of diesel averaged a little over 45 mpg. This car looks, drives and rides like a car costing a great deal more. Standard equipment on this car would be options on others. I can only say this is a great well priced 4 door car.

Green With Glee
By JH on 01/25/09 22:45 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I also have a Honda Civic Hybrid but the Jetta TDI for the same money is much more fun and better quality. The diesel engine has tremendous low end torque and the turbo is rocket fast in sport mode. Just did a round trip from San Diego to LA and back and averaged 46 mpg. Been getting in the mid 30 mpg around town. The three mode transmission is fun for whatever mood. Leave it in D for economical commuting, drop it into sport to zip through traffic and manually shift when in the mountain twisties. Good seats with nice bun warmers and plenty of room for my 6 foot frame. Feels like a BMW or Audi for many thousands less. With free service and tax rebates how can I go wrong?

Diesel is the way to go
By military on 01/23/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

5000 miles and this is the best car I have ever owned. I drive 100 miles round trip everyday. 41-43 mpg. Average speed 75mph. I cannot figure out why anyone would buy a hybrid. Clean diesel tech. is the way to go. GM, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler need to catch up. I would have bought American if they could match the quality and performance, but they cannot.

I Like it!
By Leigh on 01/21/09 14:10 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my first new car in a long time after driving vans/mini-vans for the past 15 years. Handles great and very good acceleration when you want it. Feels real solid and sporty. I have 3900 miles on it and have been averaging 36 mpg. I am hoping that will improve in the summer to make up for the .80-1.00 more per gallon over gas.

First 2500 Miles
By bronco$fan on 01/12/09 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've driven the car for 2,500 miles now and am very happy with it. 85% of the miles are short in town trips ath are 5 miles or less (hardly enough to get let the engine warm up) and I am averaging 35.2 MPG. I am sure if we drove slower and took longer trips the mileage would be substantially higher. We purchased this because we wanted an efficient car and could not stand the tiny box feel of all the other high mileage cars on the market (IE civic, fit, carolla, yari, etc).

2009 Jetta TDI
By MartinR on 12/26/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is an excellent car for the money. The standard features include 10 speaker stereo, heated seats. The fit and finish is superb for a $21990 car. The EPA mileage ratings are totally incorrect. This car easily gets over 40 mpg in mixed driving. You will easily get in the high 40's or even 50 mpg on the highway if you drive carefully. The car handles well, is stable and feels very secure.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*