2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car for the price!
By Andrea

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Great car, very reliable. Great on gas, and affordable. I only wish it drove better in the snow. Definitely need to upgrade to snow tires on this one.

Favorite Features

All the little things VW puts in their cars that make them fun to drive. Sirius Satellite radio included with mine for free for 6 mos.

Suggested Improvements

Great car. No improvements, but I wish I had upgraded to the Ipod dock.

Love my diesel wagen
By ames

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car is terrific. The range is525 miles per tank, and I'm getting over 40 miles per gallon highway and 34 city. Comfortable seating, plenty of cargo space, and I couldn't be happier

TDI Sportwagen
By TDI In NJ

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just purchased a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I have been looking at the Jetta for a long time and was able to finally able to locate a TDI wagon and my local dealership (someone ordered it and financing fell through!!). I love the TDI. It is quiet, powerful and smooth. It feels more solid and refined than the SE model. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system quality is very good. The fit and finish is excellent. The wagon model is very attractive.

Favorite Features

V-Tex seating, heated seats, panoramic roof and most importantly the TDI engine!

Suggested Improvements

Bodyside molding to prevent door dings from others who do not care.

TDI Sedan after first 5000+ miles
By dibrowz

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Below are the ACTUAL mpg and average speed figures as reported by the onboard VW computer: MPG = 34.7 at an average speed of 32 mph 34.3mpg @ 30mph 34.3mpg @ 31mph 33.7mpg @ 30mph 33.8mpg @ 30mph 33.9mpg @ 33mph Each set of the figures above were from full tanks of gas (about 400 miles per tank). As you can see, most of the driving was city driving and the TDI is pretty consistent at around 34 MPG. I have yet to use a full tank on the highway but I typically see MPG figures in the mid 40's when charging around the flatlands of the Sacramento area doing 65-75 MPH. Love this car!!

Favorite Features

Seats are snug and firm. Auto transmission is efficient and lets the car run near 2000 rpms Recently diesel prices have dropped below regular unleaded!!

Suggested Improvements

Four-wheel drive version Headlights to automatically turn off when left on. Seat lean is adjusted by slow turn of a wheel, I wish it was a standard lever or powered like most cars.

Looking for Economy? Get a TDi
By Trev

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car replaces a Honda Civic DX. When my wife said she wanted a new car, and it "had to get better mileage than her Honda", the search was on. We spend a couple of weeks a year in Europe, and know how developed the Turbo Diesel is in Europe. While Hybrid's are interesting, its repair costs are questionable - most likely one won't be repairing, they will be replacing components. I had heard from friends who have TDi's how much they liked them. The TDi is positioned as the top of the line model - with all of the bells and whistles. This car impresses me more every time I drive it. It accelerates at every speed with gusto, and averages about 44+ mpg on a 25 mile one way trip.

Favorite Features

The mileage is extraordinary. The ride is tight and solid. The interior is spacious, and the dash is very informative once programed - not hard. The heated seats are GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't shag golf balls! It doesn't advertise the fact that in most every aspect, including mileage, it is better than a Hybrid!

TDI for fun
By Huxley

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2009 Jetta TDI I currently have less than 1400 miles. I took a short trip of 250 miles and received 47 mpg. This was great. The Sport Wagon would be my preference. Since my walker doesn't fit in the trunk with the back seat up. It appears to be a large trunk but not the depth I would like.

Favorite Features

Mileage of course. Handles great.

Suggested Improvements

Sirrus radio not fully connected. I got a few stations.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
By Jetta TDI Sedan

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We traded in two gas hogs for this Jetta TDI, and are extremely happy with this car. It is smooth and quiet, has great pick-up and excellent gas mileage. We are headed to Germany and wanted something to zip around Europe in efficiently, have two kids, with ample space for them and their supplies. Previously drove Honda Odyssey and Nissan Frontier, approx 20mpg, so very happy with the diesel mileage. Runs surprisingly quiet and smooth.

Favorite Features

Spacious front and rear seating. Cavernous trunk. Great pickup and gas mileage. Love the satellite radio. Heated seats and spray nozzles.

Suggested Improvements

Would like fog lights standard on all models as we are headed to Germany and they will be required.

VW Jetta TDI
By Ken

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased a new Jetta TDI 6 speed manual car a few weeks ago. First tank of diesel averaged a little over 45 mpg. This car looks, drives and rides like a car costing a great deal more. Standard equipment on this car would be options on others. I can only say this is a great well priced 4 door car.

Favorite Features

Engine, ride, handling and looks. Well designed. Handles like a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would change is the VW logo on the front grill. Make it smaller and move it to the side would improve the looks of the front.

Green With Glee
By JH

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I also have a Honda Civic Hybrid but the Jetta TDI for the same money is much more fun and better quality. The diesel engine has tremendous low end torque and the turbo is rocket fast in sport mode. Just did a round trip from San Diego to LA and back and averaged 46 mpg. Been getting in the mid 30 mpg around town. The three mode transmission is fun for whatever mood. Leave it in D for economical commuting, drop it into sport to zip through traffic and manually shift when in the mountain twisties. Good seats with nice bun warmers and plenty of room for my 6 foot frame. Feels like a BMW or Audi for many thousands less. With free service and tax rebates how can I go wrong?

Favorite Features

Sport mode transmission, marvelous mileage, superb handling. Materials are far superior to most Asian cars in its class. Lots of VW clubs and forums to make you feel part of a lifestyle. VW's have soul!

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights should be standard. Mine cost more than $500 to install. Move the cruise control to the steering wheel rather than the light switch stalk.

Diesel is the way to go
By military

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

5000 miles and this is the best car I have ever owned. I drive 100 miles round trip everyday. 41-43 mpg. Average speed 75mph. I cannot figure out why anyone would buy a hybrid. Clean diesel tech. is the way to go. GM, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler need to catch up. I would have bought American if they could match the quality and performance, but they cannot.

Favorite Features

Sirius satellite radio, performance, 42mpg average 42mpg average 42mpg average 42mpg average 42mpg average, oh and 42mpg average!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Advertise, Sell more of these sweet diesel babies.