2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Worst car ever driven.....
By suma120200 on 10/07/11 20:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car from the moment I laid eyes on it, how ever the moment my warranty expired my nightmares began. Luckily, some of the problems started when I still had warranty. Since I bought me car, I had to replace the septic system, I had electric system problem where my sunroof didn't open and my radio did not turn on. Now I'm having intermittent problems with my gas cap not opening. I looked to see if there is a manual release, but unable to locate. I'm driven a Mazda, Toyota, and a Honda, I have never seen so many problems on a car under 35,000 miles.

Pretty shoddy. Lots of problems. Dealers don't care.
By kingtaco on 08/17/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So, I've had my wagon for about 32 months and I've given up. I've had multiple problems with the suspension, the alloy wheels break from even the most minor potholes. I've replaced something like 7 wheels at this point and finally started buying steel wheels. Those haven't had any problems. The dealers are hideously overpriced and don't seem to care about any of the problems I've had. They just want me to keep coming back and spending more money when something breaks. After another $600 bill for a small pothole I've given in. I'm waiting for Kia to get their 2012 models in and as soon as they do the Jetta's gone. I got 120k miles out of my last car (Honda), but only 45k out of this junk heap

Jetta sportwagon SEL manual
By eurosteve on 03/04/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SEL PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great car! Buy it. It gets better gas mileage than my mini cooper S. Its fast, corners wonderfully. Is a great family car for 5. Its a GTI with kids. I still don't know why people buy minivans. Its hard to keep it under 95. Had it for a year without any regrets. Oh by the way, either get a manual transmission, or ride a bicycle instead.

Der Wagen!
By el_matador on 12/23/09 20:31 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Solid ride, incredibly reliable in wintry conditions. It survived Colorado winters and now South Dakota winters are nothing to "Ulrich". Manual transmission makes it fun to drive and the ESP is a great feature. Great winter car with the heated cloth seats, heater mirrors, heated wiper nozzles. Quality materials in the interior, great room on the back seat, awesome cargo area with hidden compartments on the floor. It's a little bit sluggish between 3rd and 4th gear, but it accelerates decently when merging into highways. Good mileage for its size (about 26-27 mpg). Fills up with $40 or less and lasts us for 2 weeks in city driving. Ich liebe Ulrich der Wagen.

Sportwagen SE
By Tom on 12/21/09 21:24 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have driven this car for about 6,000 miles since purchase. Recorded each fill-up since purchase & getting an honest 25 mpg city & 31 mpg highway with the automatic transmission. My Sportwagen is very versatile with comfortable seating & ride. Handling is excellent with little or no sway in sharp turns or nose diving upon hard braking. White paint subject to temporary stains with some brands of gasoline. Stains do fade away

Not a great ownership experience
By Iggy on 12/19/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Jetta Sportwagen is a nice car with decent performance and fuel economy. However, the dealer experience leaves a lot to be desired. I've been told by the service dept multiple times that "VW doesn't cover squeaks and rattles after six months". I made an appt & dropped my car off first thing in the morning for a routine 90 minute service. Four hours later I telephoned for a status and was told that customers who wait there are given preference and they'd call me back in an hour. Before you buy ask about what's excluded from the "free" routine service - it'll cost you about $40 to have a turn signal bulb replaced. Less than 18 mos & I'm already looking for my next car. It will NOT be a VW!

Great Sportwagen!
By Donnie Blue Eyes on 10/31/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wanted an "adventure-mobile" to replace my beloved 1993 Toyota Corolla. I checked out the RAV4, CR-V, and Escape but they didn't do it for me. Then I found the VW Sportwagen. After four thousand miles it has performed flawlessly. It has a strong engine, solid build, ample cargo room and excellent MPG. The ride on the highway feels lush and well cushioned. The handling is very agile and responsive. My one real complaint is that the sunvisor is too short! They cut off three or four inches to accommodate a fancy ceiling console that I hardly ever use. Not a deal- breaker but it just seems kind of dumb to me. Tinting the windows should take care of it which I was going to do anyway.

Loving it
By vwJettaFan on 10/20/09 05:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought it brand new and love the sporty way it handles - nice acceleration and fun to drive. I used to own a Ford Focus wagon and this car is way more luxurious and comfortable. I was in the market for a station wagon and noticed that there are few offered in the US - mostly from European car makers. Did not think I would be able to afford a German car, but this one is affordable! We had one minor issue (something creaked). The part was replaced under warranty. 15,000 miles @23/32 mpg (city/highway) with no issues but that. This car comes with ESP, plenty airbags and anti-slip-regulation. The panoramic sun roof lets in light, but no heat.

Mexico assembly-German built any better?
By Greg on 09/29/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This Jetta Sportwagen is my first (and likely last VW). The engineering is wonderful with so many well thought out features. However, the build quality is just not acceptable. Thus far I've experienced a couple of horribly annoying rattles, a bolt that holds the door on fell out, the driver's seat became wobbly, and the $60 cargo net accessory is now useless as the clips that hold it to the anchor points popped off. The dealer fixed one rattle (which has now returned) but clearly didn't wish to investigate the other. I actually dread calling to make a service appointment because it's always a frustrating experience. It's a pity because aside from the harsh ride the car is great fun to drive.

Love the car
By William menking on 08/22/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was a reluctant VW buyer-I really wanted an Audi Avant but economic reality helped make the decision for me and I am very pleased with my purchase. I should state that I love European station wagons for their design, practicality and maximum space on a non SUV platform. I purchased a 2009 SE Jetta Wagon and whoever claimed they were "luxury economy cars" got it right. I once owned an Audi A4 and I loved it but this VW is as much fun! Forget the Passat wagon-if you love European wagons get this one and you will be thrilled at how much car it is for about $25,000!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon in VA is:

$123 per month*