Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta sportwagon SEL manual
By eurosteve

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SEL PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great car! Buy it. It gets better gas mileage than my mini cooper S. Its fast, corners wonderfully. Is a great family car for 5. Its a GTI with kids. I still don't know why people buy minivans. Its hard to keep it under 95. Had it for a year without any regrets. Oh by the way, either get a manual transmission, or ride a bicycle instead.

Favorite Features

controlled speed. German quality. Americans might not understand this since they aren't used to seeing it.

Suggested Improvements

make the whole car lower. I don't know why all cars seem to be to high for the past decade.

Worst car ever driven.....
By suma120200

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this car from the moment I laid eyes on it, how ever the moment my warranty expired my nightmares began. Luckily, some of the problems started when I still had warranty. Since I bought me car, I had to replace the septic system, I had electric system problem where my sunroof didn't open and my radio did not turn on. Now I'm having intermittent problems with my gas cap not opening. I looked to see if there is a manual release, but unable to locate. I'm driven a Mazda, Toyota, and a Honda, I have never seen so many problems on a car under 35,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car, the panoramic sunroof, the space , and trunk space. I also like how the car drives. If I didn't have so many issues with my car, I probably would have recommended this to all my friends and family. After my husband saw how costly the repairs were and how frequently I find my self going in for repairs, my husband went with a Nissan Versa instead.

Suggested Improvements

I think the extended warranty should be more affordable and cost to maintain should be lower. I think these cars have potential and should be made to last like Hondas and Toyotas are.

Sportwagen SE
By Tom

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have driven this car for about 6,000 miles since purchase. Recorded each fill-up since purchase & getting an honest 25 mpg city & 31 mpg highway with the automatic transmission. My Sportwagen is very versatile with comfortable seating & ride. Handling is excellent with little or no sway in sharp turns or nose diving upon hard braking. White paint subject to temporary stains with some brands of gasoline. Stains do fade away

Favorite Features

Transmission is smooth & love the "manual shifting" mode along with the "S" mode of the automatic. Makes it fun to drive ... when no cops are around.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to be jazzed up a bit. Some faux wood trim would be nice on the SE. An instant mpg indicator would be nice on the drivers inst. panel.

Pretty shoddy. Lots of problems. Dealers don't care.
By kingtaco

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So, I've had my wagon for about 32 months and I've given up. I've had multiple problems with the suspension, the alloy wheels break from even the most minor potholes. I've replaced something like 7 wheels at this point and finally started buying steel wheels. Those haven't had any problems. The dealers are hideously overpriced and don't seem to care about any of the problems I've had. They just want me to keep coming back and spending more money when something breaks. After another $600 bill for a small pothole I've given in. I'm waiting for Kia to get their 2012 models in and as soon as they do the Jetta's gone. I got 120k miles out of my last car (Honda), but only 45k out of this junk heap

Favorite Features

It does hold a lot

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality. Bring parts prices into the realm of reasonability. Train your dealers not to gouge.

Der Wagen!
By el_matador

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Solid ride, incredibly reliable in wintry conditions. It survived Colorado winters and now South Dakota winters are nothing to "Ulrich". Manual transmission makes it fun to drive and the ESP is a great feature. Great winter car with the heated cloth seats, heater mirrors, heated wiper nozzles. Quality materials in the interior, great room on the back seat, awesome cargo area with hidden compartments on the floor. It's a little bit sluggish between 3rd and 4th gear, but it accelerates decently when merging into highways. Good mileage for its size (about 26-27 mpg). Fills up with $40 or less and lasts us for 2 weeks in city driving. Ich liebe Ulrich der Wagen.

Favorite Features

ESP, purple and red lights on interior, solid rubber material, audio aux connection, heated cloth seats, simplicity, safety features, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

nicer tires for entry level model, could sit a bit higher off the ground, the "bib" that the new VWs have... bring back to boxy look!