2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My TDI Eats Hybrids For Lunch
By pgallagh on 03/09/10 11:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love this car!! Been driving a 94 Honda Accord forever (231K miles), and finally decided to treat myself to a newer car. Love my TDI Loyal edition. Bought it one week ago used w/31K miles and it has been fantastic. First day on my 120 roundrip commute got 46mpg and have avg. 41.6 since owning it. You'd never know it was a Diesel. Too bad USA automakers are too stupid to realize the DIESEL is the future!!! When I see Toyota, Ford, Honda advertise their cars get 32mpg (which is good), I shake my head knowing that I consistently beat that by 10mpg regardless of where I am driving. And no darn haz-mat battery to replace with a Hybrid. GO GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND!!!!

Fun between fill-ups
By BoMar on 10/10/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

I have found that the TDI is great on mileage. Our 1st trip was to Fresno and we got 47 MPG. The turbo lag upsets other drivers. I would like the wagon better.

Fantastic car
By Jim Patrick on 05/26/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

So far the best new vehicle I have ever purchased. well over 50 mpg on highway and over 36 in town. A real hot rod that gets great mileage.

Love this car
By jcohio on 12/19/08 16:28 PM (PST)

With gas close to $4 a gallon, I decided it was time to part company with my SUV, so while at a local area VW Dealer picking up my sonís Rabbit, I took a look at the í09 TDI sedan. Shopped around for about a month and then went back and purchased one. I have one of the original ones sent out to the dealers as a preview, white minus the green leaf decals, with their new outstanding automatic transmission. I couldnít be happier with this car, great mileage, 36 mpg city, and it handle like a true euro built driving machine. By the way, after only 2,500 miles the fuel mileage should improve once the engine is broke in.

2009 TDI Exceeds Expectations
By shifter on 10/23/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

Teutonic styling, handling and quality. Stiff suspension and taut handling takes some getting used to but lots of smiles per km. Fuel economy averages 6 L/100 km out of the box in a mixture of highway driving and city. Doors close with a reassuring thud. Interior controls and finish are all of the highest quality. Everything works as it's supposed to. Expensive trim level (Highline) and options (Sirius radio etc.) worth the upgrade. TDI is luxury car quiet and smooth. 6 speed manual takes some getting used to with closely matched ratios. Best to find a high range and leave it there, letting the 235 ft lb torque do the rest. Only missed feature is HID headlights, standard H4 are very good.

Best TDI Ever
By Steve on 09/01/08 00:31 AM (PDT)

I have owned my 2009 for a week and put on about 500 miles and love it. I owned a tdi before and love it too. I bought that car in 2004. The 2009 is better car in ever way, power, more room for passenger, driver, and the trunk is just huge. The road and motor noise and so low it is just unbelievable. The sound system is the best. This year Volkswagen added a power seat for the driver along with the heated seats for both passenger and drive. If you can buy this car, buy it. I paid $27,300 as this car has dealer mark ups. I am not complaining because it is worth it.

Extremely Fun and Fuel Efficient
By Mrstacy on 08/21/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

I was considering hybrids, but heard about this one coming out. I'm glad I waited. It has tremendous acceleration and great handling. The computer showed that I got 44.3 mpg on a 300 mile trip. I'm still over half a tank plus I drove around all day today. The engine is quiet and clean. I've seen older tdis spouting dirty smoke, but this one does not. There is also a minimal amount of noise. If you are inside, you can't hear it at all at idle. When you punch the throttle, this thing takes off. A lot of push. I notice it especially around 20-30 mpg like trying to get on freeway. It is peppy! The materials are as good as the bmw 650i we own. Just don't confuse the fuel!

It's just perfect
By dan on 08/14/08 21:03 PM (PDT)

Talk about a good car, hits all 3 strong points comfort, fuel economy, and reliability. I'm a big guy, and i fit just right in this wonderful car, also it's got that big trunk we all been looking for. Its fun to drive to, that engine torque is all what matters these days. To anyone who is skeptical about diesel cars, take it for a test drive, you will fall in love with it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$132 per month*