Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Loyal Edition Diesel Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My TDI Eats Hybrids For Lunch
By pgallagh

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love this car!! Been driving a 94 Honda Accord forever (231K miles), and finally decided to treat myself to a newer car. Love my TDI Loyal edition. Bought it one week ago used w/31K miles and it has been fantastic. First day on my 120 roundrip commute got 46mpg and have avg. 41.6 since owning it. You'd never know it was a Diesel. Too bad USA automakers are too stupid to realize the DIESEL is the future!!! When I see Toyota, Ford, Honda advertise their cars get 32mpg (which is good), I shake my head knowing that I consistently beat that by 10mpg regardless of where I am driving. And no darn haz-mat battery to replace with a Hybrid. GO GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND!!!!

Tight suspension; sunroof; excellent MPG. Fun, fun and more fun to drive. 6spd manual is great (although after driving a 5spd manual for 15 years, I often forget I have a 6th gear). Torque is great for when you're already moving on the freeway - pass cars with ease.

Full power seats; fog lamps; better radio (speakers good though a litte tinny). Sun-visors too short. Looks a little too much like a Corolla from the back.

Fun between fill-ups
By BoMar

I have found that the TDI is great on mileage. Our 1st trip was to Fresno and we got 47 MPG. The turbo lag upsets other drivers. I would like the wagon better.

Dump the turbo lag.

Fantastic car
By Jim Patrick

So far the best new vehicle I have ever purchased. well over 50 mpg on highway and over 36 in town. A real hot rod that gets great mileage.

Power and mileage

Auto shut off headlights.

Love this car
By jcohio

With gas close to $4 a gallon, I decided it was time to part company with my SUV, so while at a local area VW Dealer picking up my son’s Rabbit, I took a look at the ’09 TDI sedan. Shopped around for about a month and then went back and purchased one. I have one of the original ones sent out to the dealers as a preview, white minus the green leaf decals, with their new outstanding automatic transmission. I couldn’t be happier with this car, great mileage, 36 mpg city, and it handle like a true euro built driving machine. By the way, after only 2,500 miles the fuel mileage should improve once the engine is broke in.

Fuel mileage and the way the car handles. Euro driving fun on my ever shrink U.S. dollar.

Power seats. Larger (taller center console)

2009 TDI Exceeds Expectations
By shifter

Teutonic styling, handling and quality. Stiff suspension and taut handling takes some getting used to but lots of smiles per km. Fuel economy averages 6 L/100 km out of the box in a mixture of highway driving and city. Doors close with a reassuring thud. Interior controls and finish are all of the highest quality. Everything works as it's supposed to. Expensive trim level (Highline) and options (Sirius radio etc.) worth the upgrade. TDI is luxury car quiet and smooth. 6 speed manual takes some getting used to with closely matched ratios. Best to find a high range and leave it there, letting the 235 ft lb torque do the rest. Only missed feature is HID headlights, standard H4 are very good.

Sirius radio, heated leather seats, computer display showing how much money you're saving driving a TDI. Audi-like quality.

HID headlights. Gear indicator for 6 speed manual. Memorized seat setting.