2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good for 79,500 miles
By chrislongo on 11/11/13 07:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was a good car for 79,500 miles. Did all routine maintenance plus a new intake manifold but this was not enough to keep it going. It need a whole new engine after 79,500 miles.

Reliability Diaster
By mike_t on 03/23/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car is ideal in concept and I enjoyed it very much in the beginning - especially the 6 speed and low end torque. But the initial quality was poor. Problems included the navigation system, ABS, and exhaust system. Then the fuel pump failed at 27k miles. Very, very disappointed. I have 2 Toyota's with 255k miles combined and I've never thought about the fuel system failing => Much less to the tune of $10k. VW is covering under warranty, but I would consider the quality very much below average.

TDI fuel system self destructs!!!
By No More TDI For Me on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The '09 TDI was in many ways the best car I'd owned in 20+ years. Safe, comfortable, good handling in snow, and amazing MPG (44 hwy, 37 city over 20K miles). However, the TDI has a faulty high pressure fuel pump design and complete failures are showing up all over the US due to the poor quality of US diesel compared to Europe. Bottom line? at 21K my pump failed and shot metal particles through the entire fuel system. It was all replaced (tank to injectors) at a cost of about $10K. This was covered by warranty and the dealer was great-- but there is nothing to prevent it from happening again, out of warranty. And who needs are car that may self-destruct without warning at any time? Stay away.

Great TDI, Best MPG out there
By RBS on 06/10/10 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought this car after it was made legal by Maine EPA. Hands down the best car for the money. Tried out the Prius but my soul would not let me buy such a lifeless piece of plastic. Car handles and drives great. Braking is also very responsive ( sorry Prius owners) My neighbors were blown away when they found out it was a diesel. Car has tons of room. I average 41 and if I drive like a responsible adult I can get high 40's on the highway. Nice thing is I don't have to and I still get better mileage then 99% of cars on the road. Features are adequate for the price. For those looking to buy new, I just saw the TDI CUP version and it is off the charts. Would highly recommend buying a TDI

20K review - I love my TDI!
By Jon on 04/23/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Traded my '06 Volvo S60 in June '09 for the Jetta (due to some quality issues) and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I drive ~350 miles/week, mix of highway and city, and average appr 41 mpg w/ a fairly heavy foot. My best is 47.5 on a trip from Bham to Nashville. The TDI's torque is impressive, and the turbo spool/blowoff sounds cool too! The interior is well built (even though I had an annoying rattle in the rear C- pillar, dealership fixed on 20k maint. visit). I appreciate the modest but functional interior layout. Even the sunroof is well designed! The gearbox shifts well and engages fluidly. My only beef w/ the car is the lack of option for cloth seats and the spongy brakes.

Loved my Car!!
By Nikki on 03/03/10 16:50 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We purchased this car because we were looking for something that got really good gas mileage but wasn't a hybrid. Ended up getting 32 average mpg city. Just recently got in a car accident and it held up well. No one was seriously injured when our Jetta rearended car in front of it at about 40 mph. I loved this car!

6-spd manual TDI....Great car and value!
By Eric on 12/22/09 08:25 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned my TDI for 6 months and it has been great. My previous car was a Volvo T5 S40 and I must say the TDI has plenty of power. Diesels have so many benefits but they also offer great power at any speed. Always wanted a VW but didn't like the quality of the gas motors. Decided to take the leap from Volvo (longtime owner--last 4 cars were S60 and S40 turbos...well one Acura TSX in that time also) after having some quality issues. I am very impressed with the quality of materials and how the car fits together. The ride is firm and sporty. It drives like a front wheel drive version of the BMW 3 series (if only the Jetta was RWD it would be the perfect car!) Average 40- 43 mpg.

2009 Jetta TDI improved and unimproved
By samd on 12/04/09 13:08 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My 09 Jetta TDI has comfort and speed. There are key flaws: engine stalls frequently at low rpm, unlike the more robust 98 TDI; brakes ice over in snow make for a choppy first stop; electric motor fan noise is so loud can't ride with windows down in summer; cab fogs up bad circulation; engine annoying whistle when it is turned off; fuel gage lies half full means 2/3 empty; radio is only tuned for hip-hop missing freqs for classical and rock; radio has no amp for ipod sucks ipod battery dry; ipod connection has no shielding thus feedback noise is bad.

20,000 Miles
By mowryc on 11/30/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was in the market for a fuel efficient car to replace my aging Toyota. The TDI fit the bill perfectly. I average 40 MPG overall and get at least 500 miles per tank (12 gal). I love the interior of the car. It has been years since I owned a German car and I had forgotten how comfortable and ergonomic they were. Everything is logically placed and within easy reach. I have always disliked automatic climate control and the Jetta allows me get the system exactly were I want it (fan, hot/cold, floor/panel). After this, I will never own another Japanese vehicle :)

Great car
By cdivertdi on 11/29/09 15:38 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Well, I'm 15,000 miles into my TDI. I traded a Mazdaspeed6, that I absolutely loved, but could no longer live with with 20 mpg, for the Jetta TDI. The Jetta is a different animal, with both pro's and con's as compared to the Speed6. The only downside is the loss of the raw performance of the Speed6. The Jetta has lived up to my expectations, and the fuel economy has been above expectations! My only complaint in the quality of the speakers, and if Santa comes thru, will be resolved this Xmas! In terms of millage, we just finished a round trip from the NC Triad to Atlanta, with 600+ pounds between passengers and a very full trunk, running 78 to 85 mph with 43 mpg. What a deal,love my Jetta TDI

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*