2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

Beware!
By shallquist

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This review is for the 2009, but based on my research affects all TDI models. All TDIs have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) and they are prone to failure when the diesel fuel gets contaminated. My Diesel somehow got water in the diesel and apparently based on the rust in the tank this had been an on going problem. At 107000 miles the fuel system had to be replaced to the tune of $5,800 dollars. Apparently diesel fuel standards in the US are lower than that of Europe and VW hasn't taken that into consideration. Please CONSIDER this when purchasing.

Favorite Features

Automatic Trip computer is very useful. I like the panoramic sunroof, but have begun to dread it since the drain tubes clog often and water ends up collecting in foot wells.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the HPFP and put in a system to detect bad fuel!

09 TDI 6sp Manual Wagon
By red_scout

Love the car. If you want a sports car with great mileage, and lots of storage this is it. Ultimately this is the main car to replace our Caravan. Most like a second TDI will be purchased. My mom has bought the 10 Golf (Jetta) Wagon in with the 2.5l Auto. She loves it.

Favorite Features

TDI, Torque, acceleration, handling, BRAKES. Best braking car I've ever driven. VW give the confidence to the driver to have fun.

Suggested Improvements

Rear cargo cover, does sag easily.

Great choice
By Mustafa

We love our TDI Jetta. It works great for our long trips. No need to fill up for over 500 miles on a highway. First diesel and loving it. Interior looks and feels great. Heating is not that great, but heated seats help a lot. We had issue with check engine light, and it was fixed under warranty. A lot of space in the back for all the bags.

Favorite Features

nice torque, really great passing power, would never compromise with hybrid for driving experience with TDI, noise is not noticeable some of my friends didn't even know it was diesel, even after driving it, great panorama roof, interior looks much beer then competition

Suggested Improvements

Ipod controls, better exterior look, fog-lights needed.

Jetta TDI wagon - a confusing experience
By Nick S

The vehicle is great to drive. We live in a mountainous area and it eats hills. We can drive from Kamloops to Vancouver in 6th without much problem. It has loads of passing power. Even with hills and high speeds combined fuel use is 6.7 L/100km. That said, vehicle totally failed at 1000km and had to be towed to a VW dealer for repair. The problem was identified as a leaking turbo hose. This was fixed but the engine warning light subsequently came on frequently until the engine computer was "re- mapped". Carpet in rear is coming out from the interior sill and the carpet on the back of the rear seats is falling off. This is all scheduled for repair but is a bit disappointing.

Favorite Features

It's got to be the engine/ gearbox combination. Great power and the ability to eat long and steep hills without losing speed.

Suggested Improvements

As noted by another reviewer, the smell of heated windshield washer fluid in the cabin, following use of the wipers/washers, is pretty unpleasant. As most people use winter rated fluid, does heating it really provide any benefit? Build quality, particularly of the interior. After all, it's German.

Still in honeymoon phase
By Floridian

I have now had my tdi one year and 35,000 miles. Still drives like new. I do a lot of highway driving and it is too easy to drive way over the speed limit (85-90) while still getting 35-37 mpg. Queen size air mattress fits in back for the dog. No downshifts required when driving up 6% grade mountain highways. Torque just flattens out the mountain. Driven very conservatively, I have nearly hit 700 miles to a single tank of diesel.

Favorite Features

torque, sunroof, invisible at high speed on the interstate

Suggested Improvements

better quality paint. bug marks are much harder to remove on this car than my others. Have more performance type products available. There is a tdi race series, but virtually no performance mods offered through vw

TDI SportWagen is Amazing
By bam

I now had my 2009 TDI Wagon a full year now and have 15k on it, so I thought I would share my experience. The car has been flawless and has had no service issues at all. Mileage has been great at mid 40's on the hwy and mid 30's in the city. If you are going 65mph cruising it will get over 50mpg. My usual tank avg. is 38-40mpg with 2/3 hwy miles. The car is fun to drive especially with the 6spd. manual. Started right up in 30 below zero overnight weather last winter, no problems at all.

Favorite Features

Panoramic Sunroof, touchscreen audio and Nav system, USB media hub, great in the snow as well. Great power in almost all situations, fun!

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel audio controls please! Have sport appearance package with fog lights as an affordable factory installed option. Digital auto climate control on TDI should at least be an option.

What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

German Engineering, sunroof, radio, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Power driver's seat.

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

Favorite Features

mpg, performance, comfort, looks

Suggested Improvements

Auto headlight off

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

Favorite Features

Turbo Diesel..powerful, smooth and efficient. German engineering, handling, and ride. Nice body style, good sound system, many small nice features and touches.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof is too hot. Needs insulated cover, not a screen.

Good Travel Buddy
By Steelpanwoman

I have put almost 12,000 miles on this car and have enjoyed it with one exception. . They actually found out that this car, being one of the first manual TDI wagons, was running too clean and choking itself. It behaved much better after the EGR valve replacement. Fussy clutch in 1st until it was broken in. It likes to hiccup after startup during the first minute the engine is warm.(Part of EGR software issue) A software upgrade was performed last week, but still have the problem. I drive aggressively and get 32 MPG around town,36 HWY. Drove 525.5 miles on one tank road trip and got 41.2 MPG . A great highway cruiser and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; great people and artwork hauler, great road cruiser; Panorama sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Needs radio controls on steering wheel;body side molding: GTI headlights;smaller antenna so no interference from roof racks; improve front end appearance(massive bug catcher);standard fog lights