2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
09 TDI 6sp Manual Wagon
By red_scout on 08/04/10 04:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Love the car. If you want a sports car with great mileage, and lots of storage this is it. Ultimately this is the main car to replace our Caravan. Most like a second TDI will be purchased. My mom has bought the 10 Golf (Jetta) Wagon in with the 2.5l Auto. She loves it.

Great choice
By Mustafa on 03/13/10 14:15 PM (PST)

We love our TDI Jetta. It works great for our long trips. No need to fill up for over 500 miles on a highway. First diesel and loving it. Interior looks and feels great. Heating is not that great, but heated seats help a lot. We had issue with check engine light, and it was fixed under warranty. A lot of space in the back for all the bags.

Jetta TDI wagon - a confusing experience
By Nick S on 12/15/09 21:46 PM (PST)

The vehicle is great to drive. We live in a mountainous area and it eats hills. We can drive from Kamloops to Vancouver in 6th without much problem. It has loads of passing power. Even with hills and high speeds combined fuel use is 6.7 L/100km. That said, vehicle totally failed at 1000km and had to be towed to a VW dealer for repair. The problem was identified as a leaking turbo hose. This was fixed but the engine warning light subsequently came on frequently until the engine computer was "re- mapped". Carpet in rear is coming out from the interior sill and the carpet on the back of the rear seats is falling off. This is all scheduled for repair but is a bit disappointing.

Still in honeymoon phase
By Floridian on 10/22/09 04:09 AM (PDT)

I have now had my tdi one year and 35,000 miles. Still drives like new. I do a lot of highway driving and it is too easy to drive way over the speed limit (85-90) while still getting 35-37 mpg. Queen size air mattress fits in back for the dog. No downshifts required when driving up 6% grade mountain highways. Torque just flattens out the mountain. Driven very conservatively, I have nearly hit 700 miles to a single tank of diesel.

TDI SportWagen is Amazing
By bam on 08/29/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

I now had my 2009 TDI Wagon a full year now and have 15k on it, so I thought I would share my experience. The car has been flawless and has had no service issues at all. Mileage has been great at mid 40's on the hwy and mid 30's in the city. If you are going 65mph cruising it will get over 50mpg. My usual tank avg. is 38-40mpg with 2/3 hwy miles. The car is fun to drive especially with the 6spd. manual. Started right up in 30 below zero overnight weather last winter, no problems at all.

What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing on 08/12/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil on 08/01/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm on 07/22/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

Good Travel Buddy
By Steelpanwoman on 06/24/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

I have put almost 12,000 miles on this car and have enjoyed it with one exception. . They actually found out that this car, being one of the first manual TDI wagons, was running too clean and choking itself. It behaved much better after the EGR valve replacement. Fussy clutch in 1st until it was broken in. It likes to hiccup after startup during the first minute the engine is warm.(Part of EGR software issue) A software upgrade was performed last week, but still have the problem. I drive aggressively and get 32 MPG around town,36 HWY. Drove 525.5 miles on one tank road trip and got 41.2 MPG . A great highway cruiser and fun to drive.

not like the 2002
By northern on 05/18/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

We test drove a 2009 Jetta TDI wagon to compare it to our 2002 TDI wagon. Our 2002 gets mileage almost 10 mpg higher than the 2009. Fit and finish are about the same. With diesel now lower priced than gas here in our state, and teh difference in mileage, we will keep running our 2002 for a long time to come. After VW screwed up and lowered the mileage, find yourself a 2002 or 2003 TDI diesel if you can and buy that instead. They command a huge price premium in our area being they are so much better than the 2009 models.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$121 per month*