Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Maintenance repair shop queen
By Keith

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car achieves outstanding mileage with the TDI engine with outstanding low end torque. However it is a maintenance nightmare. The Satellite radio failed at 18 months along with the aux port. The TDI engine intercooler had a design fault resulting in bent valve and engine freeze up. Volkswagen replaced the engine under warranty. All four struts, shocks and wheel bearings have failed in the last 24 months. Car is religiously washed and waxed. The paint failed at 70 months on all four wheel wells and the rocker panels with large chunks of paint blistering and peeling off. Volkswagen has only agreed to pay 20% of the repair cost. I buy the best tires rated for ride and noise. Despite that the car rides rough and there is so much wind and road noise that I wear ear plugs during my commute and I will not drive it on long drives.

Love hate relationship
By ronald

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2009 TDI sportwagon. I love about everything about this car except reliability and that is a show stopper. Virtually every system has had major overhauls except the engine. I guess I have grown spoiled driving about a dozen Toyotas over the years as they are reliable and run forever. Expect to pay the cost of the car for repairs during the first 120K for this model. The least reliable and most expensive to repair automobile I have owned. I will never purchase another VW.

Never again will I buy a VW
By Mark

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Car was okay until 90K miles. The turbo on the diesel grenaded, causing not only all the damage in the turbo, but also the exhaust system (which had been redesigned and you had to buy the newer version). Very expensive repair. Asked VW to help, but there comment was that it was out of warranty, your on your own. The car was three years old at the time. They also made the comment that I had put a lot of miles in a short time. Really, a diesel should be good for 300K+. At 140K miles, radiator starts leaking, and was replaced. Radiator fan had to be replaced as it liked to run until it ran the battery down. Now one of the glow plugs needs to be replaced, one of the rear window regulators, and the electric steering is humming. Nickle and dimming now.

great vehicle until 80,000 miles
By Duke M

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

dealership support has always been an issue. I don't trust them to tell me the truth. After an dealership oil change I left on a long trip. 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, loud flapping noises from the engine compartment. I inspected and discovered that the underbelly pan was missing bolts. I limped along at 60 miles an hour for another 500 miles to a town that had a VW dealership. I had to pay to have the missing bolts replaced. Local home dealership denied to refund me the cost of the repair. It appears that it's a myth...Diesel engines are good for 100,000 's of miles. At 100,000 miles, the repair saga has begun. Do I dump and run or do I take my chances that the worst is behind me?

Still Smooth Sailing After 5+ Years
By jasonpdx

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My 2009 TDI SE has treated me very well for over five years and 70K, and I am still happy with it. The build quality on this generation is really, really good (unlike the dumbed down start to the next gen after): the interior is premium and the exterior is quietly upscale and distinctive in a good way. Having heard from some about VW's prior reliability problems when I bought it, I wondered whether I'd be in for some unexpected bumps in upkeep. But this car has been 100% reliable, with no time in the shop except for the regular maintenance, a new set of tires, and (just recently at 70K) a new pair of rear brake pads. And I still get about 43 highway and low 30s city MPG-- above EPA.

Excellent torque and sufficient power with high MPGs! Ride is just a little sporty yet still very comfortable Good looks that age well (I still get compliments, which is nice ;) Quiet (TDI quieter on the road than gasser version) DSG automatic is super fast Upgraded sound system still sounds great Heated seats Good visibility Letherette ages better than real leather Good safety features (lots of airbags and good ratings)

Crawling at slow speeds with a DSG is a little lurchy (unavoidable with dual clutch automated manual but could be refined a bit more) Maintenance costs at dealer are a little inflated Even with cold weather package, cabin takes a good five minutes to warm up on cold days (again, comes with the territory with diesel, but supplemental heating element could be more powerful) I had to install bluetooth for an extra $400! (Fortunately, VW fixed this oversight later I think)

• SUV