2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A very good car and it requires maintenance
By redlude on 05/21/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have 100K miles on the car & have been very happy. I had an electrical issue. It was resolved. Maintenance costs can be cut in half by purchasing the parts yourself & then have a reputable non dealer garage install them. My chosen garage specializes in German vehicles and were rated very highly. I use Lucas and Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatements for injector cleaning & additional injector/fuel pump lubrication. I am gearing up to change my timing belt. I am going to pay $700 instead of the $1200 mentioned on another review here. I researched and purchased the parts online and provided them to my mechanic. I expect to see many miles more.... God willing and the creek don't rise

Good for 79,500 miles
By chrislongo on 11/11/13 07:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was a good car for 79,500 miles. Did all routine maintenance plus a new intake manifold but this was not enough to keep it going. It need a whole new engine after 79,500 miles.

If you want economy, you must pay for it!
By bud8138 on 04/10/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 115,000 miles on it. It gets great fuel economy, is fun to drive, looks good.....BUT....The regular maintenence costs will negate that great fuel economy, especially if you have the 6 speed automatic transmission, which is actually two manual transmissions in one case that is shifted hydraullicly. It requires regular maintenence every 80,000 miles tat makes one think they are buying a new tranny. Add to that a new timing belt at 90,000 miles that will run another $1200. So you see, you pay for that economy. I love the car but will not buy another. Oh yeah, a faulty fuse holder for one bank of headlights is another $520.00.

sehr gut!
By nivek3 on 04/09/12 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW and I really dig this German car. I have always wondered about the people that are fanatical about their VWs. Now I know. The build quality absolutely kills anything American built. The handling and comfort are excellent. Did I mention the gas mileage? Highway is rated for I believe 42, yeah on bad day. When I travel long distances I get around 50. I really have enjoyed this car and I know see why people get obsessed with VWs.

2009 VW TDI DSG Tranny Update
By adrenalinetdi on 07/18/11 22:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Seriously folks, you must have to get this Dealer Warranty replaced. Our 2.0L TDI has a Mechtronic Controller Unit that sits atop the DSG Tranny. This Unit controls and puts a stop to the jerky and hesitation. Palisades VW in New York replaced mine last summer and WOW it has made a significant difference in the fuel economy, quickness, and safety. Now, when I press the pedal lightly, the TDI shifts smooooth and quick. Also, when slowing down, no more jerks. At 58 MPH I get 52 MPG with the AC blowing cold. In the city, at 45 MPH I get 60 + MPG. Seriously, do not let the dealers tell you otherwise. We spent extra money for the TDI for a reason. Make the call and beat the BMW driving uphill.

Love my TDI
By doczachary on 04/25/11 05:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2009 TDI when I got tired of the gas mileage of my big truck. Put everything on it execpt for the Navigation system, fearing, and sun roof. I currently have 63K on my Jetta and really have had no issues to complain about. I get combo mileage of 35mpg and freeway of about 45 - 48 mpg with the AC on. The heated (fake) leather seats are great in the winter and really help the lower back on a long trip. The AC is good but not great. It could be colder. The AM/FM/CD/Sat stereo is great and works well. More speakers than you can find or count. Kids would probably complain since you probably can't turn it up as loud as they listen to it these days. Great finish and looks good

Reliability Diaster
By mike_t on 03/23/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car is ideal in concept and I enjoyed it very much in the beginning - especially the 6 speed and low end torque. But the initial quality was poor. Problems included the navigation system, ABS, and exhaust system. Then the fuel pump failed at 27k miles. Very, very disappointed. I have 2 Toyota's with 255k miles combined and I've never thought about the fuel system failing => Much less to the tune of $10k. VW is covering under warranty, but I would consider the quality very much below average.

TDI fuel system self destructs!!!
By No More TDI For Me on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The '09 TDI was in many ways the best car I'd owned in 20+ years. Safe, comfortable, good handling in snow, and amazing MPG (44 hwy, 37 city over 20K miles). However, the TDI has a faulty high pressure fuel pump design and complete failures are showing up all over the US due to the poor quality of US diesel compared to Europe. Bottom line? at 21K my pump failed and shot metal particles through the entire fuel system. It was all replaced (tank to injectors) at a cost of about $10K. This was covered by warranty and the dealer was great-- but there is nothing to prevent it from happening again, out of warranty. And who needs are car that may self-destruct without warning at any time? Stay away.

3rd Diesel and the best yet
By Marc on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my third VW diesel (85 Golf, 98 Jetta,09 Jetta) What a car! Very fast and shifts like a manual. 22300 miles so far and have averaged 44.7 mpg combined hiway and city driving. Drove from eastern CT to northern Alabama and back on 41 gallons of fuel. Thats over 52 mpg. Much quieter that the other two I owned.

This is a risky car to own.
By JamesG on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just sold my 09 TDI Jetta today. I will miss it, it was SO much fun to drive on the high-way. Fuel pumps (HPFP) are failing in this model, repair can cost $8 - $10K. VW is being very wissy-washy about covering what appears to be a growing issue. To much risk for me, good luck if you decide to buy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*