Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Well built car that is fun to drive also
By jet25s

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had the car for three months and it has been good to me as a daily commuter car. The engine pulls hard from the low rpm range and the manual transmission shifts very smoothly but with assurance. The suspension is dialed between comfort and handling so it is not very cushy but it has more body roll than I would like. It feels as quick as my 2500lb Miata in the straight line acceleration. I have autocrossed the Jetta and it pleasantly surprised me in its stock form with the all season tires. The rear view mirror developed a crack this morning when the heat came on when it was frozen. I am hoping it will be covered under warranty...

Favorite Features

1. Standard heated seats! 2. Smooth revving capable 5 cylinder engine. 3. Very quick rear defroster. 4. Clean and ergonomic interior layout. 5. Standard Heated exterior mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

1. The seat bottom is tilted back too far so it is uncomfortable on my lower thigh area when making gear shifts. I had to add metal bushings under the rear bolt holes of the seat rails to raise the rear end. 2. The radio reception is bad. 3. Put thicker sway bars and reduce the body roll.

Time to Update
By srduncan31

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July 2009 and thought I loved it. Now I regret purchasing this car. Has been in the shop multiple times. Was making a noise in the front end. Said it was sway bar bushings. Replaced. Noise still existed. Dealership had no clue. Turns out, was a "secret" recall on coil springs for the first 50000 manufactured. Noise gone but steering doesn't seem the same. Constantly feels as if you are in a wind storm driving over 60. Again dealership has no clue and said is fine. Fuel economy is not the best either. I should have spent the money and gotten the transmission fixed on my Explorer. Doubtful I will keep this car much longer. No longer happy with it and only 3900 miles!

Suggested Improvements

Better informed dealers and technicians

Very pleased
By Larry Reemtsen

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

It far exceeded my expectations and I used to manage a BMW center. You know your in a German car. I drive L.A. traffic to do what I do and the freeways are a great test and will reveal a cars weaknesses and attributes. I drove the civic first and found it too under powered at 140 HP. The Jetta with 170 gets you there quick and can handle the Harbor Freeway well. Great gas mileage as well. My delivery at Pasadena VW was perfect.

Favorite Features

the power of the car for it's price and size.

Suggested Improvements

none

Lovin It!!
By srduncan31

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Have only had this car about a week. Had a 97 Jetta and loved it and love the new one just as much so far. It is fun to drive even though it only has a 5cylinder engine. Standard equipment is great for the price. The rearview mirror is a pain to adjust and the side mirrors whistle above 50mph, but overall, love the new Jetta!

Favorite Features

Sound system, safety features, interior lighting

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, auto-on headlights, fog lights

Jetta is a Great Buy
By Jetta S

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I leased my Jetta because VW offered a too good to pass offer. I got an S model with roof and wheels. It is a great looking car and I get a lot of compliments on it. It is a lot of fun to drive. I have the 5 spd. and the performance is great. I am a former SCCA road racer and this car handles and drives great. The features this car has at this price point is unbelieveable. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned and there is nothing about it I don't like. Porsche obviously has fixed the problems that VW was known for, and this car is a huge value for the money. I have driven many more expensive cars, but few have more features than this VW. A great buy for the money.

Suggested Improvements

I would have no improvements to offer. The radio is killer, the seats comfortable and handling great. VW has hit a home run with this car, and has left the problems behind them.